Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: My options pleease!

Default My options pleease!
    After completing Rock updates yesterday (winterboard, sbsettings and one other) my phone lost signal then crashed. I tried restarting via Blackrain as per usual but this time i just see Geohots face for around 3-4 min then it reboots back to 'connect itunes' screen and from there it just reboots every 3-4 min.

I see 'ibeej' has done a hell of a lot of work on this but looks like due to circumstances he was cut short before completing what he wanted. (hope he returns with a vengance )

My spec is:

3GS
    05/11/07 (pretty sure anyway)
    Blackrain / Tethered
    Unlocked
    Windows XP

I'm also living in the UK.

Although loosing data would be a bit of a pain it wouldn't be the end of the world for me. So do i:

Restore to 3.1.3 and jailbreak again? If yes can i still unlock? Maybe an oppotunity to get untethered at the same time.

Is there a fix which would get me back to where i was before the crash.

My knowledge of the iphone is not fantastic although with step by step instructions i'm very competent.

Many thanks in advance

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Do you know which Rock App caused the problem and do you have SSH installed on the phone?

If so, try to SSH into the phone and troubleshoot that way, however that can be tricky.

If you have SHSH saved for 3.1.3 i'd suggest you restore to that and JB via spirit (take care that you use the right version of spirit for your itunes). You'll have an untethered jailbreak.

In re of backup, in it's current state I doubt you can backup, do you happen to have an old one saved in iTunes?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Will01 For This Useful Post:

Akom (2010-07-01)

I'm not 100% sure which update caused the crash as i updated the 3 together.

Cydia said i had 3.1.2 / 3.1.3 shsh saved. Not sure why i should have both as never loaded 3.1.3

Now if i restore via itunes to 3.1.3 then JB using Spirit can i then unlock the phone too as this bit is more important.

Another thing i have since found out. The original network supplier the phone was locked to - Orange- may unlock the phone, providing you've had it for more than 3 months, at a small cost.

Would the JB process undo the unlock.

Sooo many questions however i really do appreciate any help i can get

p.s. no to the ssh being installed.

OK. My plan is to restore via itunes which i believe in the UK will put me on 3.1.3.

Can this be JB with Spirit or another and then be unlocked.

Please can someone assist a mear mortal as i've had no iphone now for 3 days and it's starting to hurt my pride now
    Last edited by Akom; 2010-07-02 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Ok, well if your new boot iOS4 is a nono but with SHSH saved you can still JB on 3.1.3/2. BTW, the reason you have both is that while apple where signing 313 you saved your shsh. You dont need to be on 313 for it to work.

Anyways, to the point at hand.

Start by pointing your hosts file to saurik. Instructions here:

Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik)

Then restore to 3.1.3 or 3.1.2 whichever you prefer. You can jailbreak either with spirit (for untethered). Then for unlock use Ultrasnow 0.93.

Just to note, if your currently on iTunes 9.2 make sure you download the updated spirit (see Redmond Pie) for details as the old spirit will not work.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Will01 For This Useful Post:

Akom (2010-07-02)

Thanks so much for your help Willo1. As soon as i get home from work i'll get to work on it.

Now not wanting to muddy the waters too much but could i just restore normally through itunes maybe to 4 then JB and unlock with Ultrasnow as mentioned before or is there a limitation?

I'm walking Hadrians wall for charity in just over a week and really want the phone running for that so i can tweet and take snap shots of my progress so really really apreciate your help.

Thanks

Definately dont restore to 4.0. At present on new boot you cant jailbreak it. Which would make it impossible to use Ultrasnow.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Will01 For This Useful Post:

Akom (2010-07-02)

BIG THANK YOU WILL

After you're advice i restored to 3.1.2 JB with Spirit then unlocked with Ultrasnow.

Fantastic not being tethered anymore.

Cant thank you enough. It's very emotional being with out an iphone