Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS with stock FW 4.0, where to go from here?

Question iPhone 3GS with stock FW 4.0, where to go from here?
    Hello everybody,

I bought an iPhone 3GS off of eBay and it came in today.

The seller preinstalled iOS 4.0 on it. However, this iPhone has the old bootrom (iBoot 359.3).

After some googling and researching, I guess I can't downgrade the iPhone to 3.x because I never had these so-called "SHSH blobs" from the start, if I am getting this correct.

Just in case, is there any sort of potential way I don't know about yet to downgrade or unlock it at this time considering my iPhone 3GS with the old bootrom?

If not, then let me ask you this: Is there a way to at least bypass the SIM activation part? The iPhone arrived to me that way and demands me to enter in a pin number for the orange AT&T sim card it came with. I'm with T-Mobile, and that TMob sim card is still being used in my iPhone 2G. I want to at least be able to use the iPhone 3GS as a 3rd-gen iPod touch to finally see iOS4 for the first time and wait until they release some sort of workaround for iPhone 3GS users like me.

Available tools I have are a Windows XP netbook and a Mac Mini running OSX 10.6.4, with iTunes 8.2 and 9.2 respectively.

-Mjolnir1134

**EDIT: Added pic**

Last edited by Mjolnir1134; 2010-07-01 at 04:43 AM.

I believe that with the old bootrom, you could just update again with a pre-jailbroken 4.0 firmware. This FW can be made either through Pawnage Tools or sn0wbreeze. Once you've done that, you can install it via iTunes. Not sure if there are any errors that might come up though.

Quote Originally Posted by douflag View Post
    I believe that with the old bootrom, you could just update again with a pre-jailbroken 4.0 firmware. This FW can be made either through Pawnage Tools or sn0wbreeze. Once you've done that, you can install it via iTunes. Not sure if there are any errors that might come up though.
    Hi there, thanks for replying.

I managed to get the SIM card activated to get into the OS. I just guessed and entered in 1234 for the pin and it activated it for me. iOS4 on a 3GS is nice and smooth compared to my now choppy and sluggish iPhone 2G.

Despite being into the "vanilla" OS, I'd like to at least jailbreak it. From what you mentioned, I tried to update the firmware with a modified 4.0 FW after running it through sn0wbreeze. I got an error 1600 in iTunes 9.2 on my Mac, do you know what that means?

I'm also going to give Pwnage tools a try right now.

**EDIT**

I have used Pwnage tools and sn0wbreeze, but neither worked. I had the phone in recovery mode, DFU mode, and regular mode (iPhone was on and normally connected to iTunes where I tried alt+restore) for each of the custom IPSW's created by Pwnage and sn0w. I get errors 1600 and 1604 when I attempt to restore.

Any other ideas?
    Last edited by Mjolnir1134; 2010-07-01 at 05:22 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone allicatmeow's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by douflag View Post
    incorrect. you cannot use pwnagetool unless your device was jailbroken before on 3.1.2 with blackra1n. you have to be able to downgrade from 4.0 to 3.1.2 by having your SHSH blobs on file with cydia.

to the OP, if the device has never been jailbroken and you are running iOS4, you are currently out of luck and have to wait for a new JB. (i am in the same boat as you.)

Quote Originally Posted by allicatmeow View Post
    incorrect. you cannot use pwnagetool unless your device was jailbroken before on 3.1.2 with blackra1n. you have to be able to downgrade from 4.0 to 3.1.2 by having your SHSH blobs on file with cydia.

to the OP, if the device has never been jailbroken and you are running iOS4, you are currently out of luck and have to wait for a new JB. (i am in the same boat as you.)
    Damn, this kinda sucks.

Seeing as though I received this iPhone 3GS with preinstalled stock 4.0, I can't do a single thing to it.

Guess the only thing to do with my phone is just play around with free iTunes store apps and use it as an iPod Touch. I wonder how long it is going to take before one of the developers can release some sort of jailbreak/unlock fix to get my iPhone 3GS a'going? I'd hate to sell it after having it for just a day, since I won it from an eBay auction like-new for $280. I don't know what else to do with it now besides letting it sit there or just resell it.

By the way, when I google around, I sometimes come across these sites that try to sell you an unlock/jailbreak. It appeals to me because they claim that they can do it on any firmware (especially 4.0), bootrom, and any baseband version, regardless if you jailbroke it or not sometimes. Are these sites legit? While they are capitalizing on this aspect, are they ahead of the iphone-dev team who release these jailbreaking tools for free? Or have I just been reading B.S.?

Thanks

BS

iPhone? More like MyPhone allicatmeow's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir1134 View Post
    D
    I wonder how long it is going to take before one of the developers can release some sort of jailbreak/unlock fix to get my iPhone 3GS a'going? I'd hate to sell it after having it for just a day, since I won it from an eBay auction like-new for $280. I don't know what else to do with it now besides letting it sit there or just resell it.
    have you contacted the seller? maybe they had it jailbroken before on 3.1.2 or 3.1.3.

By the way, when I google around, I sometimes come across these sites that try to sell you an unlock/jailbreak. It appeals to me because they claim that they can do it on any firmware (especially 4.0), bootrom, and any baseband version, regardless if you jailbroke it or not sometimes. Are these sites legit? While they are capitalizing on this aspect, are they ahead of the iphone-dev team who release these jailbreaking tools for free? Or have I just been reading B.S.?
    those are all 100% B.S.

Use TinyUmbrella from The Firmware Umbrella to check out if you've got the blobs for 3.1.2/3.1.3 by clicking on Advanced settings, and choose the 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 and 'Cydia', then you'll know that you'll be able to downgrade to a 3.1.2/3 version, Jailbreak and then upgrade to a Custom made JailBroken 4.0.
    Press Thanks! If Its Worth It!

Quote Originally Posted by drmias View Post
    Use TinyUmbrella from The Firmware Umbrella to check out if you've got the blobs for 3.1.2/3.1.3 by clicking on Advanced settings, and choose the 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 and 'Cydia', then you'll know that you'll be able to downgrade to a 3.1.2/3 version, Jailbreak and then upgrade to a Custom made JailBroken 4.0.

Probably means I'm SOL.

What do you see when you click on 'Save My SHSH' ?

Quote Originally Posted by drmias View Post
    What do you see when you click on 'Save My SHSH' ?
    Clicking on "Save My SHSH" makes it say that it isn't eligible for the requested build. I tried all 3.x firmwares on the dropdown list for iPhone 3GS, all of which came up with that message. However, I was able to save the 4.0 SHSH.

Pressing "display SHSH's" shows that I can restore to 4.0 safely...

...bah these newfangled iPhones.

Maybe you can jailbreak your vanilla iOS 4.0 on your 3GS with the new Sn0wBreeze v1.6.2???

Clicking on "Save My SHSH" makes it say that it isn't eligible for the requested build. I tried all 3.x firmwares on the dropdown list for iPhone 3GS, all of which came up with that message. However, I was able to save the 4.0 SHSH.

Pressing "display SHSH's" shows that I can restore to 4.0 safely...

...bah these newfangled iPhones.
    Sorry, you cannot restore to an older version CURRENTLY, you can only use this device with an AT&T Sim card and not JailBroken.

Quote Originally Posted by Zythyr View Post
    Maybe you can jailbreak your vanilla iOS 4.0 on your 3GS with the new Sn0wBreeze v1.6.2???
    In order to use Sn0wBreeze you should have had your device JailBroken.

iPhone? More like MyPhone HeavyD4's Avatar
    Thanks

I know this is a dumb question but is there an advantage to using a certain jailbreak,besides being able to unlock is there n e other reason to use a specific JB? Thank u4 the info.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Redsn0w/PwnageTool seem to be the best, Redsn0w does not currently support 3GS however so PwnageTool is the way to go currently.

Sn0wbreeze is buggy imo, it worked only on 3.x.x but I have never had it work on iOS4, as much as I respect iH8Sn0w I just believe he doesn't have the knowledge to incoorporate an iOS4 JB as it is mucher harder to un-jail than previous FW's.

Thanks

Thnx 4 responding appreciate it,I originally used blackrain on my 3G when I first got it I didn't have a clue about how,after s a few freezes it's been done by redsnow and it actually just froze up again with 4.0,tired of it bcus alot of non compatible apps or mods I wasn't to upset so I gave it a try myself I managed to restore it to 4.0 n then used redsnow,worked gr8,then I said what the hell lemme try to get it back to 3.1.2 and did and then used blackrain,is there n e reason to use any other JB, I keep hearing spirit is so gr8 but what makes it so? Sorry 4 long msg thanx again

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

The only reason spirit is considered great as far i can see is that it's stable, quick and worked on all idevices at the time.

Thanks

Oh ok cool thanx 4 responding I really appreciate it,hope I can return the favor