Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to recover from spirit JB safely?

Question How to recover from spirit JB safely?
    Hello everyone,

I'm rather new to the iPhone hacking world, so I'm not too knowledgeable about which is the old bootrom or what a baseband is.

I have an iPhone 3GS 3.1.3 which I jailbroke using spirit. I bought it sometime last November at an AT&T store with a stock firmware of 3.1.1, if I remember correctly.

As you all know, iOS4.0 came out and I was working on some developments that require for me to upgrade. I'm a little worred about the upgrading process since there are several way people go on about doing this.

I hear it's not really possible to brick your iPhone, but you can lose things like MMS and the like?
    Can anyone tell me what risks are involved? (I used to do a great amount of PSP hacking back in the day, and I've seen some sad irreparable bricks, I want to make sure I don't fall in one of those pitfalls in the iPhone hacking world. I am a noob at this after all...)

I was wondering if anyone can point me to a thread/guide/how-to/tutorial on how to upgrade to iOS4 (and if possible, a way to jailbrake my phone once I get it upgraded).

I was looking at this thread, but I don't know if this is what I should try: http://modmyi.com/forums/general/716...spirit-jb.html

I also fount this: http://www.nirving.com/2010/06/25/up...-3g-to-ios4-0/

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by kilogold; 2010-07-01 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Grammar Mistakes & Extra Info

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

On a 3GS the only way to jailbreak 4.0 is by being jailbroken on a lower firmware with pwnage tool or redsn0w and then restoring to a custom 4.0 firmware from pwnage tool. Essentially you have to ride the jailbreak train. You cannot go from Spirit jailbreak to 4.0 pwnage.

As for the bootrom issue... look at your serial number in Settings > General > About. Look at the 3rd - 5th digits.. this is the year and week it was made. If you have XX940 = Week 40 of 2009. As long as you're manufactured on or before this week you have the old bootrom. If this is the case you would have to have you 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 SHSH on file with Cydia so you can restore to factory... THEN jailbreak with redsn0w or pwnage... THEN upgrade to 4.0 with another custom firmware.

This guide should clear it up.

How to Jailbreak iPhone 3GS to 4.0 with Sn0wbreeze | Windows
    http://modmyi.com/guides/how-jailbre...nagetool-os-x/
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 2010-07-01 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

kilogold (2010-07-01)

Thanks for the reply Poseidon.

My serial # is: XX941XXXXXX.

So if I'm properly understanding what you explained about the bootrom, would this mean I'm out of luck because I'm off by 1 week?

EDIT:
    Here's some more information I uncovered with f0recast-
    Baseband: 05.12.01
    Bootloader: 6.4
    Model: MC135

Jailbreakable: Only if SHSH is on file
    Unlockable: NO
    Untethered: Depends if it's refurbished

(Note: My phone is not refurbished. I purchased it new. I've only jailbroken it once, and it was with Spirit)

I found that my bootrom version is: [iBoot-359.3]
    I think this means I'm good, right?
    Last edited by kilogold; 2010-07-01 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Grammar Corrections, Extra Information & Bootrom info

Thanks

The week 40 is a general statement, not exact. To tell for sure what bootrom you have:

To check iPhone 3G/3GS bootrom version:

Put your iphone in DFU mode.
    (Connect your iPhone to iTunes, turn off, click power +home button for 10 seconds, leave POWER button after 10 seconds, holding HOME button)

iTunes will detect your iPhone in recovery mode.

Go To:

Start->Control Panel->Device Manager

In Universal Serial BUS Controller, you will find Apple Mobile Device USB Driver

Right Click and go to Properties, go to Details tab and select "Device Instance Path" from the drop down list box.

In that information, u will find [iBoot-359.x] at the end.

On a Mac:

Put the iPhone in DFU mode
    Then navigate to "About this Mac".
    From there go to "More Info...", and select USB on the list on the left.
    Under the USB menu you can select "Apple Mobile Device (DFU Mode)" and that will bring up information about the iPhone.

About half way down it will have the iBoot information:
    It will either be [iBoot-359.3]-old or [iBoot-359.3.2]-new.
    To get it out of DFU mode just hold both the home and power button until it powers back on

But all that really doesn't matter unless you have your SHSH files stored to be able to restore back to 3.1.x
    Without those you cannot downgrade to any firmware but the latest (4.0)

Thanks for the explanation, Simtech.

Upon my discoveries, I've found out that my SHSH backup is that of 3.1.3

I believe this means that I won't be able to downgrade, thus no jailbreak is available for me at the moment.

Would you guys agree?
    If so, it's ok, there's no other choice but to wait; I'd just like to know if I'm understanding things properly.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Thanks

You can downgrade to 3.1.3 and jailbreak with spirit.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Yeh do what simtech said, if you want to be on ios4 jb, downgrade, jb with spirit and then use snowbreeze to upgrade (it is the only one that supports spirit jb at present). I can be done with any current iOS4 jb, like Pwnage etc but it's more advanced, let me know if u wanna do this.

Thanks again Simtech.

Sorry, I wasn't so clear about my last post:
    I believe this means that I won't be able to downgrade, thus no jailbreak is available for me at the moment.
    to which your response was:
    You can downgrade to 3.1.3 and jailbreak with spirit.
    Actually, what I have right now is a 3.1.3 Spirit jb 3GS.
    What I meant to say was I couldn't downgrade to 3.1.2, and so I figured that this could mean I can't install a custom iOS4.

However, what Will01 said makes me believe there's still some hope right now.

Will01, could you please elaborate on this? I'm interested

Thanks

You can try this... (found elsewhere supposed to work)

If you are stuck on 3.1.3 Spirit Jailbreak and want to upgrade to a 4.0 Jailbreak:

Restore to default with 3.1.3 and JB using spirit
    (if can’t activate, then you can try without restore)
    Use Cydia to install the following packages: afc2add, openSSH, MobileTerminal
    Download Spirit2Pwn and extract
    Get sn0wbreeze 1.5.2
    Get 3.1.3 ipsw and 4.0 ipsw
    Create a 3.1.3 Customer firmware using sn0wbreeze. Ignore the warning (if any) and just create the firmware. We’re not going to restore using this firmware anyway.
    Firmware should be put on Desktop. Go to desktop and rename it to something that identify it as 3.1.3 Sn0wbreeze firmware. Also, change the extension to zip.
    Extract the zip file
    Connect your iPhone to your WiFi. Use SFTP and login to your iPhone. If you have no SFTP client, you can use FileZilla . Default username/password combo is: “root”/”alpine” (without the quotes)
    Copy all the files you find in “Firmware/all_flash/all_flash.n88ap.production” (from the extracted custom firmware) to iPhone’s “/tmp”
    Copy all the files you extracted from spirit2pwn_r2.zip to iPhone’s “/tmp”.
    NOTE: Some reports error, so you may want to make another copy of “pwn_old_boot_r2.sh” on the /tmp named “pwn_old_boot_r1.sh”
    Once done, SSH into the phone using PuTTy or use MobileTerminal on the phone
    Use the same credentials as the SFTP credentials. Then run the following commands:
    cd /tmp
    chmod 755 pwn_old_boot_r2.sh
    chmod 755 pwn_old_boot_r1.sh
    ./pwn_old_boot_r2.sh
    Wait for the process to say “SUCCESS”
    type “reboot” and let the phone reboot
    Download sn0wbreeze 1.6.1
    Create custom firmware for iOS4
    Use the Shift+Restore (on Windows) or Alt+Restore (on Mac) and point to the custom iOS4 firmware.
    NOTE: If you’re not using iTunes 9.2 at this point, an error (13) will be raised
    After complete, use Cydia and install the same packages again (openSSH, afc2add, MobileTerminal) and add another repository: ultrasn0w.com
    Find Ultrasn0w and your phone is now jailbroken and unlocked on iOS4

Thanks

I can confirm that the last post by simtech is a working method to go from 3.1.3 jailbroken with spirit to a jailbroken 4.0. I was on 3.1.3 and jailbroken with spirit I used that method to install a custom firmware made by pwnage tool.

Thank you everyone!

You have all been very helpful.

Thank you jkmonkey for the reassurance.
    Thank you simtech for the mini guide.

I'll will go ahead and try this options as soon as I have a chance and report back to all of you.

Thanks again!