Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3g running slow on iOS 4? Overclock Instructions Here

Default 3g running slow on iOS 4? Overclock Instructions Here
    Is your 3g running on iOS 4 with wallpapers and apples multitasking, but its really slowed down? Overclock it actually normal clock it because the iPhone 3g is actually underclocked initially. Ok so ive tested this and yes it runs faster but there is some effects. Your original clock speed is 412MHz but the processor is capable of 600Mhz. B

Cons.
    The device might heat up a little more.
    Also i havent noticed this too much but it may decrease battery life.

Ok. Things needed.
    Jailbroken iPhone 3g
    OpenSSH installed
    Computer with SSH Client

-Alternative-
    iFile
    or
    Diskaid
    (This takes away the need of OpenSSH and a computer or SSH Client)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Instructions

EASY AND -MOSTLY- FOOL PROOF

1. SSH into the phone, or go to iFile or Diskaid

2. Go to- /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle/com.apple.SystemPowerProfileDefaults.plist

Note*- You may have to go to root first and then System

3. Ok now rename com.apple.SystemPowerProfileDefaults.plist to SystemPowerProfileDefaultsBACKUP.plist

MEANING JUST TAKE AWAY THE com.apple. and add BACKUP in uppercase. This will make the iPhone unable to recognize to file and not underclock it. This is the processor file and in this is the file that tells the iPhone what to clock the processor at.

4. Restart your iPhone

Your iPhone should now be overclocked to the speed that the processor was made for. Your iPhone will run a little hotter but i havent had a problem. Also this may decrease your battery life. Not a lot but if you usually have a problem with the battery life on your iPhone already then i recommend you do NOT do this.

This is at your own risk and I am not responsible for whatever happens to your iPhones.

NOT AS EASY AND -NOT THAT- FOOL PROOF

The second tutorial is coming which will allow you to set your own clock speed. Now i have not put this up yet because i want to see safe speeds. COMING SOON!!!!

EDIT: Actually im not going to post it because there will be too many things that are messed up.

Increasing the clock speed will degrade the CPU’s lifespan by several minutes. However, since the device is not designed to handle the heat generated at higher clocks, I recommend you to stop apps if device appears to overheat.

This is at your own risk and I am not responsible for whatever happens to your iPhones.

Also test this yourselves by playing games that usually freeze or see if things are faster. I tested this on Gangster and it was definitely faster. Those who are going to reply with CPU Clock speed testers. Most of those show based on the model of your phone.

ALSO SYSINFOPLUS show based on model
    Last edited by iphone?3gs; 2010-06-30 at 08:54 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hmm, I frequently overclock PC's but rarely using stock cooling. I really don't know, if you fry the circuitboard on your 3g and take it back to apple and they see you've oc'ed it. I really don't know about your chances of a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Will01 View Post
    Hmm, I frequently overclock PC's but rarely using stock cooling. I really don't know, if you fry the circuitboard on your 3g and take it back to apple and they see you've oc'ed it. I really don't know about your chances of a replacement.
    Actually if you call them and tell them that it just happend they will replace it. I cracked my screen and told them it overheated and cracked and they replaced it. A faulty circuitboard is there fault and they dont know we overclocked

Also to those who already have overheating problems then i woudnt recommend this to you.
    Last edited by iphone?3gs; 2010-07-01 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

none of these ways to overclock work. it is written in the hardware. much like jumpers to get the cpu speed on old motherboards. and what's the point? the weak point of the 3g is the gpu more than anything, which is what is slow with springboard or games.

Quote Originally Posted by ramicio View Post
    none of these ways to overclock work. it is written in the hardware. much like jumpers to get the cpu speed on old motherboards. and what's the point? the weak point of the 3g is the gpu more than anything, which is what is slow with springboard or games.
    Whether its "true" overclocking or not, this does make the 3g faster.... it does turn off resources and makes it faster...

no, it's purely placebo. i removed language packs and launch daemons from my phone and it did nothing to free memory or make it faster. they are what they are.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I agree with ramicio. It's just a slow phone no matter what you do to it. Even if it did free up memory it wouldn't matter... it's still slow.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

4.0 simply wasn't written with the 3G in mind. You have to have more power under the hood to use it. That means moving up to at least the 3GS or even better the iPhone 4. All of the features of 4.0 have been slowing down the 3G since they were available to the jailbreak community way before Apple implemented them into 4.0.

no, it's purely placebo. i removed language packs and launch daemons from my phone and it did nothing to free memory or make it faster. they are what they are.
    if its purely a placebo, then why have so many tried and then the phone gets hotter that before? Also when your springboard crashes and you are in safe mode do you know what it does? It turns off most things in the system.... And makes it run way, way faster.... Language packs dont take make it slower they are just packages there.... There is a part for system memory and no matter how much you remove the part will still be there and will be an empty partition.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    4.0 simply wasn't written with the 3G in mind. You have to have more power under the hood to use it. That means moving up to at least the 3GS or even better the iPhone 4. All of the features of 4.0 have been slowing down the 3G since they were available to the jailbreak community way before Apple implemented them into 4.0.
    i totally agree, i have a 3gs and a 3g.... but for those who dont, this will give them a speedboost
    Last edited by iphone?3gs; 2010-07-06 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Did they actually measure the temperature with a thermometer in a room that has a stable temperature? If not, then I call placebo! All that file does is tell the CPU what state to be in to whatever the phone is doing. If it is indeed getting warm it is because the CPU is probably fully ON now during standby, which does nothing for performance. I said I also removed launch daemons, which are like system services in Windows. Didn't do a damn thing. My memory usage did not drop at all. The 3g has shown to be a pathetic phone after each firmware update. I should have just got a 2g. Even in the video of original vs 3g vs 4, the original phone is not much slower than the iPhone 4, but the 3g is just pathetic. I think Apple HAD to release to 3gS just to run extra things they wanted to. I can't play any games on my 3g. Even scrolling from page to page (slow or fast) on my home screen is not smooth at all!

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Jailbreaking slows down the 3G. A stock 3G runs smooth. Add a bunch of Native apps to it however, and you are running slow. The 2G is a dinosaur. To me it is the best looking model to date, but you can't take advantage of all of the great new features that are being released.

What does jailbreaking do that specifically slows down the phone? I thought it just allowed root access to the file system. Yes I know if you add stuff to theme it will slow it down, but this is not the case for me, and it runs exactly the same slow, jailbroken or not. I don't have a lot of apps installed.

Thanks

Because OS4 uses more resources just to run. Also if you have multi-tasking, wallpaper, battery percentage etc enabled (things that off in iOS4 3G by default) that slows it down too.

Wallpaper enabled, and battery percentage, but those things alone should not suck memory way down to only about 30mb free. I could turn that crap off and gain probably a few MB if that. The 3g GPU is the bottleneck of this phone. As I said it is just as slow unjailbroken.

Thanks

Well that's your experience with it. Personally my GF's is much faster un-jb than it was jb with those 3 options on.

Jailbreaking an iphone does not slow it down, but installing applications like Winterboard, Mobilesubstrate, SBsettings (daemon programs) etc. does. That's because those apps use RAM =(.

With that said I think I've had my fun with multi-tasking and Winterboard and will remove them from my 3G soon.

Edit: I doubt deleting a plist will overclock an iphone. Apple's smarter than that. It's probably hardware that's restricting it.

Also, for those that don't know, if you have OpenSSH installed, make sure to turn that off when your not using it. Every time I reset my phone, OpenSSH turns on and I have to turn it off or it'll use up resources + battery.
    Last edited by Deviatorz; 2010-07-06 at 06:11 PM.

Did they actually measure the temperature with a thermometer in a room that has a stable temperature? If not, then I call placebo! All that file does is tell the CPU what state to be in to whatever the phone is doing. If it is indeed getting warm it is because the CPU is probably fully ON now during standby, which does nothing for performance. I said I also removed launch daemons, which are like system services in Windows. Didn't do a damn thing. My memory usage did not drop at all. The 3g has shown to be a pathetic phone after each firmware update. I should have just got a 2g. Even in the video of original vs 3g vs 4, the original phone is not much slower than the iPhone 4, but the 3g is just pathetic. I think Apple HAD to release to 3gS just to run extra things they wanted to. I can't play any games on my 3g. Even scrolling from page to page (slow or fast) on my home screen is not smooth at all!
    Actually yes, they did. And like you said the file tells what the CPU to do in what state..... And that file is what limits the CPU also..... Removing the file makes their no limit.......

Quote Originally Posted by Deviatorz View Post
    Jailbreaking an iphone does not slow it down, but installing applications like Winterboard, Mobilesubstrate, SBsettings (daemon programs) etc. does. That's because those apps use RAM =(.

With that said I think I've had my fun with multi-tasking and Winterboard and will remove them from my 3G soon.

Edit: I doubt deleting a plist will overclock an iphone. Apple's smarter than that. It's probably hardware that's restricting it.

Also, for those that don't know, if you have OpenSSH installed, make sure to turn that off when your not using it. Every time I reset my phone, OpenSSH turns on and I have to turn it off or it'll use up resources + battery.
    Apple would have patched all exploits if they were that smart... And remember editing the plist can do stuff to the hardware and change things....
    Last edited by iphone?3gs; 2010-07-07 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphone?3gs View Post
    Apple would have patched all exploits if they were that smart... And remember editing the plist can do stuff to the hardware and change things....
    It's practically impossible to patch 'all the exploit's' because new changes to hardware/software will lead to new ways to exploit. I mean, take Microsoft, microsoft have been making windows for years, they are STILL patching exploit's.

I don't think there is any such thing as an non-exploitable system.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Halten77's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Jailbreaking slows down the 3G. A stock 3G runs smooth. Add a bunch of Native apps to it however, and you are running slow. The 2G is a dinosaur. To me it is the best looking model to date, but you can't take advantage of all of the great new features that are being released.
    Um, I'm sorry but I own an iPhone 3G. I updated to iOS 4. I had MyWi F up my cellular data so I had to restore. Back then I had wallpaper, battery percentage, and multitasking enabled VIA redsn0w 0.9.5 b5-4. I restored and jailbroke again, but this time disabled wallpaper and just had battery and multitasking enabled. Oh boy for some reason it was the freaking wallpaper that was dragging down my iPhone 3G's speed DRASTICALLY! POINT: What you said isn't accurate. I am jailbroken with iOS 4 and have multitasking and battery percentage enabled and have a great amount of cydia and rock apps and a couple from the app store. My iPhone 3G is running smooth as hell and hasn't lagged even once. I haven't installed any apps like these to boost up memory. I'm having a great time with my 3G. When my contract expires in 2013 and get a hold of the iPhone 6, It's gonna be lightning fast if my 3G is already fast lol. But that's just me

And I have winterboard enabled and everything. Although I kinda agree about SBsettings... It does slow down my iPhone but not enough to say its SLOW, still runs smooth. I always had a tendency of having apps in springboard that i just have there and never use them lol.
    Last edited by Halten77; 2010-07-07 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by iphone?3gs View Post
    Actually yes, they did. And like you said the file tells what the CPU to do in what state..... And that file is what limits the CPU also..... Removing the file makes their no limit.......
    I really doubt that...I have searched for overclocking stuff for the iphone for a while, and have never seen anyone measuring with a thermometer their iphone temperature! You kill your own point there and make mine 100%. It tells the CPU what to do in what state! When the phone is playing a game, the CPU is open all the way anyway. All your mod would do is have the CPU run in standby and other power-saving modes, which is pointless and just warms the phone up and kills battery life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast