Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3.1.2 to OS 4.0 & unlock 4.0

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 3.1.2 to OS 4.0 & unlock 4.0
    hello all,
    I have a friend with an iphone 3GS unlocked and jailbroken. He knows nothing about hacking his phone and paid for some guy on craigslist to jailbreak and unlock it which he messed up and i had to fix. He wants me to upgrade the software for him if it is possible yet. The info on it are as follows: MODEL is MB_ _ _ _ _,The FIRMWARE is 5.11.07, and the VERSION is 3.1.2. Is this phone unlockable and jailbreakable to version os 4.0? Is its the os 4.0 that needs to be jailbroken or do you have to unlock the os 4.0? Since the phone is already jailbroken does it need to be jailbroken again?

Also is my phone jailbreakable? My info is as follows: Model: MB716LL, VERSION: 4.0 (8A293), & FIRMWARE; 05.13.04. Forgive me for all the questions, I am still fairly new to doing this but am computer savy. I also have a 3GS which is currently running OS 4.0 (not jailbroken) but I have ATT so i have no need for an unlock and havent decided to crossover to the jailbreaking realm yet because im not really sure of the benefits. I had the first iPod touch when it came out and it was jailbroken and i really had no idea how to use it and after a month i sold it and bought an iPhone. Any insight from you guys out there on the pros and cons of jailbreaking what I would be able to do with a jailbroken 3GS running OS 4.0?

Thanks

if your friends phone is the old bootrom 3GS (untethered jailbreak) then as long as it was jailbroken with either redsn0w or blackra1n you can create a custom 4.0 ipsw and restore to that and will be jailbroken on 4.0 and can then get ultrasn0w from cydia to unlock

as for your phone, unless you can get back to 3.1.2 and jailbreak with with redsn0w or blackra1n untethered then your phone will not accept custom firmwares and can not be restored back to 4.0 with a custom firmware and be jailbroken

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I actually downlaoded an Ipsw file a few months ago that I believe is 3.1.2 restore. The file name is iPhone1,2_3-1.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw, is this the correct file? Would i need to use iTunes and do the shift + restore thing to select this file?

I also did a little searching and found this file also:
    iPhone2,1_3.1.2_7D11_restore.ipsw
    which is also supposed to downgrade to 3.1.2
    however when i downloaded this file i was trying to downgrade an iphone from 3.1.3 to 3.1.2. so my question is: does it matter if i have iOS4.0 to use this file? or is it iOS 3.1.3 specific for downgrading?
    Last edited by beems; 2010-06-30 at 09:42 AM.

Thanks

iPhone1,2_3-1.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw is the restore file for a 3g iPhone not the 3gs, the iPhone2,1_3.1.2_7D11_restore.ipsw is for the 3gs, but unless you have your 3.1.2 shsh's saves you will not be able to restore to that, if you do have them Then you can go from 4.0 to 3.1.2 without going to 3.1.3 first

if you don't have either 3.1.3 or 3.1.2 shsh's then you will not be able to restore to anything but 4.0
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-06-30 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

no unfortunately i do not have an SHSH file save for either. and i just checked my bootrom and its the new version so that means my phone is currently non-jailbreakable correct? will the dev-team eventually release a way to jailbreak 4.0 even though i already have a non jailbroken 4.0 installed on my iphone?

Thanks

I'm sure someone will, for now you are stuck on 4.0 with no jailbreak