Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Fix for iPhone 3GS stuck with 1604? (Using a Mac)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Arrow Fix for iPhone 3GS stuck with 1604? (Using a Mac)
    I have an iPhone 3Gs that I bought at AT&T a few months ago with original 3.1.3, at 5.12.01, serial number xxx41, model MC137LL, original AT&T sim, never jailbroken. Now there are many differing stories floating around and I have searched many forums far and wide, reading oodles of posts about jailbreaking/unlocking this puppy.

I read somewhere about how to find out about the old or new bootrom, some say it's according to the 4th and 5th serial number being lower than 40, well, mine's 41. Some say if your model number starts with MC, you're SOL, well, I guess I'm SOL. And yet others say you can find which bootrom you have by going to Apple Profiler (I use a Mac) and there it said I had the old bootrom.

Now I am not new to jailbreaking. I have a 2G that I am using now in Mexico that I jailbroke and unlocked. But I'd love to use that almost new 3Gs for phone calls in Mexico. And iOS4 is pretty alluring.

So, being right in the middle of these stories, I decided to take the plunge and JB it using pwnage 4.01.

Then all hell broke loose! I got that dreaded 1604 error code

I searched the net over and tried all kinds of fixes, which none of them fixed my baby. Plus, now it freezes at the recovery screen and I can only rescue it with blackra1n. It won't even go all the way into DFU now, it gets stuck at the apple screen. Fortunately, eventually it will come back if I just leave it.

I've tried all the tricks I have up my sleeve, plus a bunch of other people's suggestions. Any of you amazing geniuses got any clues what I can do?

Thanks

old bootrom being 359.3...since your phone was never jailbroken did you happen to use firmware umbrella to get your 3.1.3 shsh's before apple stopped signing it, if so you can restore to that, if not then all you can do is restore to offical 4.0 since that is the only firmware apple is signing for the 3gs at this time...

reading your post again i see that you bought if from at&t with 3.1.3, but you say its the old bootrom, if that is the case then it is a refurbished phone (old bootrom stopped being used around the 40th week of 2009 and 3.1.3 didn't come out until February of 2010 i believe) and the previous owner might have jailbroken it and had the shsh's saved...u can use tinyumbrella to try and get your shsh's from cydia starting with 3.1.3 and working backwards, whichever (if any) you can get then you can restore to that
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-06-30 at 09:13 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

zoink! (2010-06-30)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

j3st3r3
    reading your post again i see that you bought if from at&t with 3.1.3, but you say its the old bootrom, if that is the case then it is a refurbished phone (old bootrom stopped being used around the 40th week of 2009 and 3.1.3 didn't come out until February of 2010 i believe) and the previous owner might have jailbroken it and had the shsh's saved...u can use tinyumbrella to try and get your shsh's from cydia starting with 3.1.3 and working backwards, whichever (if any) you can get then you can restore to that
    Thanks for your reply. So you're saying a restore is what is necessary? And if I don't find the shsh's, then upgrading to iOS4 is my only route? Then would it be possible to jb/unlock it yet?

j3st3r3
    u can use tinyumbrella to try and get your shsh's from cydia starting with 3.1.3 and working backwards, whichever (if any) you can get then you can restore to that
    Nope. Got tinyumbrella. No shsh's on the server. Bummer...

Any other options? Can I jb using Spirit maybe or any other program? Then unlock with Ultrasn0w? There's gotta be a way...
    Last edited by zoink!; 2010-06-30 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

if you are certain it is an old bootrom (use idetector iDetector-V1.0.exe ) then you can try this, it worked for me http://modmyi.com/forums/general/716...spirit-jb.html

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

iDetector is for PC, right? I use a Mac! But I did check for the bootrom and I got 359.3, according to Apple Profiler. But now I can't get it to stay in DFU mode to be able to check it again.

I looked at the solution you mentioned above and it seems a little over my head, no actually, a LOT over my head! I haven't used SSH nor would I know where to find or how to use Mobile Terminal... f***in A, I'm a n00b!
    Last edited by zoink!; 2010-07-01 at 05:59 AM.

Thanks

359.3 is the old bottom, if you don't think you can do the steps in the guide then at this point the only firmware that you can restore to is 4.0 if you have to restore

if you are still on 3.1.3 then yes you can use spirit/ultrasn0w to jailbreak/unlock
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-07-01 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost