Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Downgrade iPhone 3Gs/3G/2G and iPod Touch 2G/3G (Any Baseband)

Talking How to Downgrade iPhone 3Gs/3G/2G and iPod Touch 2G/3G (Any Baseband)
    This is a video which I made to assist people who are having problems with downgrading their iPhones and iPod Touches. There's a written tutorial in the description of the video, but I will write it here for those of you too lazy to watch the video.

VIDEO: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMAw9cIFg1M]YouTube - How to Downgrade iPhone 3Gs/3G/2G and iPod Touch 2G/3G (Any Baseband)[/ame]
    -------------------------------------------------------

**Written Guide Below**

--------------------------------------------------

You need:
    ________

(1)iPhone (I'm using a 3Gs in the video)

(2)USB Cord

(3)Official Firmware File (iPhone2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw)
    [ Download the new iPhone 3.1.2 Firmware | Redmond Pie ]

(4)BlackRa1n
    [ BlackRa1n.com ]

(5) iTunes 9.2 or below.

Make sure you have all the requirements stated above before beginning.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    (This written tutorial is for PC users only because some of the file locations and such may be different on a mac. I'm sorry, but there's nothing I can do.)

(Put blackra1n.exe into the following directory ( CProgram Files\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support ) This way blackra1n will run with ease.

Step 1- Go to ( C:/WINDOWS/System32/drivers/etc/hosts ). Now go to the top of the etc folder and press the drop-down box entitled TOOLS. Next go to Folder Options... Then go to the VIEW tab and uncheck "HIDE EXTENSIONS FOR KNOWN FILE TYPES." Now go back to the etc folder and edit the name of HOSTS to HOSTS.TXT. Now you should be able to edit the file in notepad or your preferred text editor and do that. Now once in the file, at the very bottom find some blank space and paste this following code there, ( 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com ) Now save the file and rename it back to HOSTS (so now you're removing the .TXT so it's back to a plain old file.)

Step 2- Put your iPhone into DFU mode. To do this do the following: Hold the power button down and slide the bar on the top to shut off your iPhone. Now you'll see a loading wheel and a grayish-black screen. Once the wheel disappears and the iPhone turns completely off immediately start holding down the power button and home button for 10 seconds. Now let go of the power button and keep holding the home button. You should still have a black screen and if you don't then you didn't do it right and then attempt to do it again. Now you should hear a ding and an iTunes message will popup telling you that your iPhone is in recovery mode and you must restore to continue using it. You can let go of the home button by this point or when itunes dings and the message appears.

Step 3- Go to your iPhone on iTunes and where it says RESTORE just hold shift and click that. Now a box will pop-up and look for the Firmware file. Click on the file and then iTunes will say it's preparing your iPod and what not. Now wait a minute or so and then hold down the power and home button. Then you should see a white screen. Release the two buttons and start holding them down for a second time. Now you'll see a black screen with an apple icon and in a minute or so a progress bar will appear and your iPhone will go through the restore process.

Step 4-
    Now you should get an error code of 1015 this is expected. Press OK, then a box will pop-up saying you're in recovery mode, Press OK again. On your iPhone screen there should be the Recovery Mode Picture. Go to the folder which blackra1n is placed in and run it. Now click on the button MAKE IT RA1N. Now you're iPhone will go through the jailbreaking process. After that finishes you can go do whatever you want with your fresh/downgraded iPhone.

-------------------------------------------------------

COMMON PROBLEMS:

(1) I keep trying to use the YouTube app which comes with my iPhone by default, but it says "Cannot connect to youtube."

A: To fix this problem just go to Cydia or Rock and add the following source: SiNfuL iPhone Repo after that gets added to your sources successfully search "PushFix" and download that file. Then your YouTube app will work.

__________________________________________________ __

FAQ:

Q: "lightingfox" has this been tried with a 3GS with the latest boot?

A: It wouldn't work with the latest boot i don't think because the jailbreak software doesn't work with the latest boot. You can find out which boots are supported by which jailbreak softwares at this website: http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/ (they seem to keep the information fairly up-to-date.)

Q: "allicatmeow" this is a 3.1.3 to 3.1.2 downgrade, correct?
    Q2:In the tutorial you just posted, do you need your SHSH blobs from Cydia to do a proper downgrade from 4.0? Or is this tutorial just for 3.1.3 to 3.1.2?

A: This will downgrade you from 4.0 as well 3.1.3 (but note: i haven't tested it on 3.1.3, but I'm sure you'd have no problems getting it to downgrade from 3.1.3 to 3.1.2.)
    A2: Supposedly from what I've been told you do need SHSH blobs, but to be honest I have no idea what they are... and as I said before you can downgrade from 4.0 or 3.1.3.

Q: Why do i keep getting the 3014 ERROR Code???

A: Apparently this guy lists some possible reasons for the error to come up and I believe it's probably the firewall for most, but it could be other things as well. Check it out and reply back I will still be researching the issue. (NOTE: Try disabling anti-virus/firewall first.) (You can of course enable it after trying the method.)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiYeIPTfUOk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiYeIPTfUOk[/ame]

Any questions or comments contact me via Youtube or my email provided in the video. Have a nice day guys.
    Last edited by tbdsonicx2; 2010-06-29 at 05:45 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

has this been tried with a 3GS with the latest boot?

Note: Any questions asked will be added to the FAQ part of the original post and there you can find answers to whatever questions you may have.

iPhone? More like MyPhone allicatmeow's Avatar
    Thanks

this is a 3.1.3 to 3.1.2 downgrade, correct?

thanks dude. now i just gotta convert your directions to mac.
    Last edited by allicatmeow; 2010-06-28 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

This worked great for my 16 gig on 05.13.04, I successfully downgraded from 4.0 and is now fully functional, but this will not work for my 32 gig on the same firm. I get (3194) error on the verify with apple part.

Does not work, period and end of story. It tries to verify the restore with apple and then fails. This only works if you have things backed up with cydia
    Roll Tide!

Like I said in the video for some people it works for others it doesn't I don't know what to tell you, but crimson fried the method does work just not for you for whatever reason.

Does not work for me a thousands of other people "for whatever reason". Fact of the matter is that they little change in the file you refer to is nothing more than pointing itunes to the cydia server to obtain your information stored there (if you did) but you obviously do not realize that. You are adding "gs.apple.com" to TRICK itunes into thinking its getting the info from the apple server. You post this after taking it from another website (like many people have) and you do not even understand what it is that you are doing exactly. I'm sure you will waste my time with another inane post in an attempt to convince yourself and others that you actually know more than you do about this. HOWEVER, I will not be wasting my time engaging in any sort of debate with you on the matter seeing as how you obviously do not educated yourself on anything before trying to pass yourself off as someone with actually working knowledge on any given subject. With that being said, please understand that reading a few blogs or forum post and picking up phrases and words here and there does NOT qualify you as an educated person on anything at all. Have fun talking to yourself

If anyone would like to read the ORIGINAL posting of these instructions along with EVERYTHING you need to know (instead of what this guy has typed in his own words with a lot of information left out) you can check it out here : (along with at least 100 other blogs and sites)

http://www.redmondpie.com/downgrade-...-how-to-guide/

http://www.redmondpie.com/downgrade-...re-3.1-to-3.0/

It's amazing how old this "tut" is that you have posted here
    Last edited by crimson_fried; 2010-06-29 at 05:25 AM.
    Roll Tide!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crimson_fried For This Useful Post:

akward silence (2010-07-11), allicatmeow (2010-06-29)

haha I'm sorry if i don't know the whole EXACT detailed process of what goes on I just have a general idea from personal experiences, I never said I was an expert on iPhones, so look don't give me an attitude for no reason calm down and just tell me what's on your mind without having a hissy fit (by the way I know you already expressed what's on your mind I'm just saying.), thanks have a nice day.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Should this not be in the downgrading forum rather than the general forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Will01 View Post
    Should this not be in the downgrading forum rather than the general forum?
    Well wouldn't a guide on downgrading be placed in the jailbreak/downgrade/unlock forum??? I mean I could be wrong, but I don't know.

I posted a few possible solutions for the 3014 error code above (it's in a video in the FAQ section.)
    Last edited by tbdsonicx2; 2010-06-29 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone allicatmeow's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tbdsonicx2 View Post
    A2: Nope, you don't need SSH blobs and as I said before you can downgrade from 4.0 or 3.1.3.
    You need to edit this answer, because you DO need SHSH blobs.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to allicatmeow For This Useful Post:

crimson_fried (2010-07-14)

Quote Originally Posted by allicatmeow View Post
    You need to edit this answer, because you DO need SHSH blobs.
    Oh ok, I wasn't really sure what a SHSH blob even was therefore I wasn't sure what to say about that. I don't recall backing up my information on the Cydia server though unless it's automatic. Thanks.

NOTE: I didn't do anything of this... http://www.machackpc.com/iphone/3gs/...windows-users/

or even used autoshsh or anything perhaps the person who owned the iphone before did, but other than that I am stumped.
    Last edited by tbdsonicx2; 2010-06-29 at 05:45 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It worked for me, thank you!