Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: IPSW made on MAC - usable on PC?

Question IPSW made on MAC - usable on PC?
    I've built my custom IPSW for a JB 4.0 on a MAC, but my iPhone is only backed up to my PC. Is it possible to copy and use the IPSW on my PC?

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Yes it will work on either one

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Chumad (2010-06-28)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

yep

I've been repeatedly advised not to trust pre-jailbroken ipsw restore images that are on the web. I'm curious...

• We trust pwnagetool 4.0.1.
    • We trust the 'virgin' 4.0 ipsw.
    • But we don't trust a 4.0 ipsw that's been run through pwnagetool 4.0.1?

If someone trusted in the community created an ipsw for each iphone model, and released the files along with checksums, wouldn't that solve the problem?

I've fortunately got a HP laptop running Mac OS X. But otherwise, folks have to find a buddy with a Mac to jailbreak 4.0.

By the way I'm extremely thankful for a member of #ios on irc.osx86.hu network for helping me with my iPhone 3GS 3.1.2 situation.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Well if you trust the person doing the IPSW why not, the problem is, you never know if the FW has been modified before you get it.

if youre on a pc, then why dont you just make your own custom ipsw with sn0wbreeze?

Why does my IPSW created by sn0wbreeze get 1600 errors but the IPSW's from sinfuliphone or other sources don't?

I'm confused. Using the same PC, the same USB port, and some IPSW's flash while others don't.

Will,

Why is the 4.0 fw safe but 4.0+pwnagetool is not safe? Md5 hashes posted by trusted mmi community members would solve this problem. Then if someone downloads a ipsw and it doesn't match a md5 checksum, you know it's suspect.

Thecrunk,

Sn0wbreeze is temperamental. It never produced a backup that worked for me. Sn0wbreeze couldn't jb my old firmware 3GS 3.1.2 after many tries. Meanwhile, Redsn0w worked first time.

Then I booted my hackintosh just to run pwnagetool. Worked 1st time.

Btw the iPhone skin for this forum makes me want to drown a puppy.

I am missing SO MANY features with this iPhone skin. I click Normal Version and nothing happens. I try to browse to http://modmyi.com/forums/?styleid=112 and nothing happens.

I can't edit my own posts. It's a real pain tbh.
    Last edited by feldon30; 2010-06-30 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost