Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading 3GS to OS 4.0

Default Upgrading 3GS to OS 4.0
    What is the proper way to upgrade my Spirit JB 3GS 3.1.3 iphone to the 4.0 OS. I know I will loose my JB when I upgrade but just want the 4.0 on the 3GS right now.

I would not suggest upgrading to stock iOS 4 (without jailbreaking), as there are ways to upgrade easily to a jailbroken custom iOS 4 firmware.

Firstly, does your 3Gs have the old bootrom or the new one? If you aren't sure, go into your iPhone Settings > General > About. Look at your serial number.
    If the 3rd, 4th, and 5th digits are under 940 (for example: "429373AB9CD") then you're on the old bootrom, and you can continue below:

To upgrade your Spirit jailbroken 3.1.3, first you have to follow these steps: IOS 4 jaibreak for Spirit users with old bootroom
    It's a little complicated, but it has to be done if you want a jailbroken iOS4 later on.

Then, follow this guide if you're using a Mac: Jailbreak iOS 4 with PwnageTool 4.0 / 4.01 [How to Guide] | Redmond Pie
    Or, this one if you're using a PC: Jailbreak iOS 4 with Sn0wbreeze [Custom Firmware Windows] | Redmond Pie

Let me know if you need help.