Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS4 jailbreak for 3GS users with Spirit JB?

please somebody tell me how to get rid of recovery mode??

I have a 3Gs with the old bootrom. If I am on 3.1.2 JB with spirit, can I use this method? Or can I just use Sn0wbreeze to upgrade to 3.1.3?

Quote Originally Posted by amirdeula View Post
    please somebody tell me how to get rid of recovery mode??
    Google iRecovery, or click here

Quote Originally Posted by origamisan View Post
    I have a 3Gs with the old bootrom. If I am on 3.1.2 JB with spirit, can I use this method? Or can I just use Sn0wbreeze to upgrade to 3.1.3?
    Not sure about 3.1.2. Do you have SHSH for 3.1.2 on Cydia? If so, I would try PwnageTool 3.1.4 and restore 3.1.2, then try ios4 with either Pwnage 4 or Sn0wbreeze.

Not sure about 3.1.2. Do you have SHSH for 3.1.2 on Cydia? If so, I would try PwnageTool 3.1.4 and restore 3.1.2, then try ios4 with either Pwnage 4 or Sn0wbreeze.
    unfortunately I only have 3.1.3 SHSH on file with cydia.

Since you have the old bootrom (iboot 359.3), just restore to 3.1.3 with Cydia, jailbreak with Spirit, then follow these instructions. That's essentially what I did with my 3GS.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Patato22's Avatar
    Thanks

how to know my bootrom is ?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Try using iDetector from iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones to tell you what bootrom you have.

So after doing this, is the jailbreak to iOS4 tethered or untethered?

Quote Originally Posted by origamisan View Post
    So after doing this, is the jailbreak to iOS4 tethered or untethered?
    It is untethered and only works with the old bootroom (iboot 359.3). For those that are stuck in DFU mode (blank screen but detectable by iTunes) check you bootrom and see what version it is.

To check iPhone 3GS bootrom version on Mac OS :

* Put your iPhone in DFU mode.

(Connect your iPhone to iTunes, turn off, click power+home button for 10 seconds, leave POWER button after 10 seconds, holding HOME button) If the Restore Logo is present on the screen, you are in Recovery Mode, not DFU.

* iTunes will detect your iPhone in recovery mode, ignore the iTunes message.
    * check in System Profiler for the iBoot version.
    * In that information, you will find [iBoot-359.x] at the end.

To check iPhone 3GS bootrom version on Windows :

* Put your iPhone in DFU mode.

(Connect your iPhone to iTunes, turn off, click power+home button for 10 seconds, leave POWER button after 10 seconds, holding HOME button) If the Restore Logo is present on the screen, you are in Recovery Mode, not DFU.

* iTunes will detect your iPhone in recovery mode, ignore the iTunes message.
    * Now go to Start->Control Panel->Device Manager, in Universal Serial BUS Controller, you will find Apple Mobile Device USB Driver.
    * Right Click and go to Properties, go to Details tab and select “Device Instance Path” from the drop down list box.
    * In that information, you will find [iBoot-359.x] at the end.

359.3 is the old and 359.3.2 is the new bootrom.

Thanks

OMG, this actually does work, I must say I was sceptical about it, part of my brain said 'he uploading virus to my iDevice' :P but I take it all back, it works. Thanks so much for this :-)

Edit/ just to add, i downloaded crispytech PwnageTool firmware as the snowbreeze one repeatedly gave error 2.

For some reason I have all of the stats that point to old bootrom (MB model, week 21, and 5.12.01 BB, but I have the new bootrom.

I'm trying to find a way around the 1600 error I get.

Thanks

If your using this method the 1600 error may crop up for a few reasons.

Shift+Restore from the phone being booted (NOT in restore/dfu mode).

Also ensure your hosts file is NOT pointed to saurik (point it back after your sucessfully restored).

Quote Originally Posted by Will01 View Post
    If your using this method the 1600 error may crop up for a few reasons.

Shift+Restore from the phone being booted (NOT in restore/dfu mode).

Also ensure your hosts file is NOT pointed to saurik (point it back after your sucessfully restored).
    Why away from saurik after being restored?

Hmm...I may need to try this again.

I was in DFU mode. My phone wouldn't respond to anything, but itunes saw it.

Thanks

You have to point hosts away from saurik while restoring the CFW. Then change it back after, not the other way round.

Also, this process seems to work better when the phone is booted. I tried it in restore/booted (did it twice just to verify it actually worked) and it was quicker when it was booted.

Hey guys I tried this and everything went fine, it flashed the files said success but when I typed reboot it shut down but then it went into dfu. Tried installing 4.0 custom but got error! any ideas?

Thanks

Well in my case I did it by powering off and on manually. NOT using the reboot command. Which error code did you get? If it's error 2 using a snowbreeze CFW this is a known problem try downloading a PwnageTool'd IPSW (CrispyTech have them) and using it.

I got error 1600. I'm gonna try it today again. I'm just gonna exit mobile terminal and manually reboot it

Thanks

Hmm....1600.....are you sure your on old iBoot? If so, reboot the PC, try a different USB port and try again.

just tried it again and still no luck. i do everything on the mobile terminal, it says successs but it stays on dfu mode it doesnt restart even manually so i really dont know what the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by dsanchez View Post
    just tried it again and still no luck. i do everything on the mobile terminal, it says successs but it stays on dfu mode it doesnt restart even manually so i really dont know what the problem is.
    That was my problem. The phone wouldn't reboot.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast