Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Already jailbroke my3GS 3.1.2 and want to update to 4.0

Default Already jailbroke my3GS 3.1.2 and want to update to 4.0
    Hey folks, probably a very common question, but thought I'd make my own post since I'm having a little trouble with the search.

I jailbroke my iphone 3gs a while back with Blackrain and its currently at version 3.1.2. Finally noticed the update for version 4.0 is available.

What can I do to upgrade to a jailbroken 4.0? (Seems like Pwnagetool is pretty popular). Can you guys list me some easy steps or link me to a post?

Also, how do I be sure everything on my iphone (numbers, msgs, photos, music, application data (saved games) and such will be saved when I upgrade to 4.0? Will it all be deleted? I've already done a backup in itunes. After I upgrade to 4.0, should I restore my phone using that backup file to bring back all my stuff? Or is it already there? How does this work?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

You have windows so use Sn0wbreeze to build a custom 4.0 firmware and restore to that.

I just downloaded Snowbreeze from this link that I found iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones

I backed up my iphone already and do I need to restore it or anything? Just run the .exe?

Quote Originally Posted by dbz123 View Post
    I just downloaded Snowbreeze from this link that I found iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones

I backed up my iphone already and do I need to restore it or anything? Just run the .exe?
    Just to play it safe, do what I do when upgrading.

Copy your windows Contacts folder to a new foler (so incase it wipes them you still have backed up contacts you can re-sync with later)

copy all your pictures from your phone to a folder incase they get lost

email any notes you have to your email for backup

sync your calendar with Google, Outlook, or whatever so if you lose anything there you can just re-sync and get the calendar events back.

Contacts, pictures, notes, and calendars are the biggest thing for me I worry about when jailbreaking.

Infact, every time I jailbreak I just end up "set up this phone as a new iphone" so it has a fresh slate to work on. I'm not a fan of having all the apps backed up and restored; it seems as if it just junks up the phone IMO.