Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Used Spirit to JB 3.1.3, anything for JB in 4.0?

Default Used Spirit to JB 3.1.3, anything for JB in 4.0?
    I have currently, 3GS with 3.1.3.

I jailbroke with spirit.

Debating to go to 4.0. If I do a restore first, will any 4.0 jailbreaks be available? Or will I need to wait for a new spirit JB?

***Edit: Old bootrom***
    Last edited by NiteStryker; 2010-06-27 at 05:48 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

If you have a new bootrom 3GS there is no jailbreak yet for 4.0.

I bought the 3GS a year ago. Would that be old bootrom? I saw a post that said if the 3,4 and 5th digits of my serial number are above 940, it would be new, and my 3 4 and 5th are below 940.

I have 5.12 firmware, if that matters at all.
    Last edited by NiteStryker; 2010-06-26 at 09:30 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

On your 3Gs go to Settings>General>About lookup model, if it starts MB your good to JB if it starts with MC then you have to wait as there is no Jailbreak available for MC model.
    Last edited by eurolatin336; 2010-06-26 at 09:57 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I don't think the model has anythine to do with the 3gs. That's just for the ipods, I believe. Do a quick google search and you will quickly see the procedure for determining old bootrom or not. Don't go by model. I had a MC model 3gs that was old bootrom

Ok I used this nice easy idetector program, and it says I am running Old bootrom.

Good or am I F'd?

And if I am good, I need something easy, a spirit or blackra1n equivalent. I am not advanced enough to use some of the other jailbreak tools out there.
    Last edited by NiteStryker; 2010-06-27 at 06:30 PM.

Yeah I am not fluent enough in iphone modding to do that. I need something nice and simple, a plug and jailbreak type program, such as blackra1n or spirit.

Thanks

If you are stuck on 3.1.3 Spirit Jailbreak and want to upgrade to a 4.0 Jailbreak:

Restore to default with 3.1.3 and JB using spirit*
    (if can’t activate, then you can try without restore)
    Use Cydia to install the following packages: afc2add, openSSH, MobileTerminal
    Download Spirit2Pwn* and extract
    Get sn0wbreeze 1.5.2*
    Get 3.1.3 ipsw and 4.0 ipsw*
    Create a 3.1.3 Customer firmware using sn0wbreeze. Ignore the warning (if any) and just create the firmware. We’re not going to restore using this firmware anyway.
    Firmware should be put on Desktop. Go to desktop and rename it to something that identify it as 3.1.3 Sn0wbreeze firmware. Also, change the extension to zip.
    Extract the zip file
    Connect your iPhone to your WiFi. Use SFTP and login to your iPhone. If you have no SFTP client, you can use FileZilla*. Default username/password combo is: “root”/”alpine” (without the quotes)
    Copy all the files you find in “Firmware/all_flash/all_flash.n88ap.production” (from the extracted custom firmware) to iPhone’s “/tmp”
    Copy all the files you extracted from spirit2pwn_r2.zip to iPhone’s “/tmp”.
    NOTE: Some reports error, so you may want to make another copy of “pwn_old_boot_r2.sh” on the /tmp named “pwn_old_boot_r1.sh”
    Once done, SSH into the phone using PuTTy* or use MobileTerminal on the phone
    Use the same credentials as the SFTP credentials. Then run the following commands:
    cd /tmp
    chmod 755 pwn_old_boot_r2.sh
    chmod 755 pwn_old_boot_r1.sh
    ./pwn_old_boot_r2.sh
    Wait for the process to say “SUCCESS”
    type “reboot” and let the phone reboot
    Download sn0wbreeze 1.6.1*
    Create custom firmware for iOS4
    Use the Shift+Restore (on Windows) or Alt+Restore (on Mac) and point to the custom iOS4 firmware.
    NOTE: If you’re not using iTunes 9.2 at this point, an error (13) will be raised
    After complete, use Cydia and install the same packages again (openSSH, afc2add, MobileTerminal) and add another repository: ultrasn0w.com
    Find Ultrasn0w and your phone is now jailbroken and unlocked on iOS4

Quote Originally Posted by Simtech View Post
    If you are stuck on 3.1.3 Spirit Jailbreak and want to upgrade to a 4.0 Jailbreak:

Restore to default with 3.1.3 and JB using spirit*
    (if can’t activate, then you can try without restore)
    Use Cydia to install the following packages: afc2add, openSSH, MobileTerminal
    Download Spirit2Pwn* and extract
    Get sn0wbreeze 1.5.2*
    Get 3.1.3 ipsw and 4.0 ipsw*
    Create a 3.1.3 Customer firmware using sn0wbreeze. Ignore the warning (if any) and just create the firmware. We’re not going to restore using this firmware anyway.
    Firmware should be put on Desktop. Go to desktop and rename it to something that identify it as 3.1.3 Sn0wbreeze firmware. Also, change the extension to zip.
    Extract the zip file
    Connect your iPhone to your WiFi. Use SFTP and login to your iPhone. If you have no SFTP client, you can use FileZilla*. Default username/password combo is: “root”/”alpine” (without the quotes)
    Copy all the files you find in “Firmware/all_flash/all_flash.n88ap.production” (from the extracted custom firmware) to iPhone’s “/tmp”
    Copy all the files you extracted from spirit2pwn_r2.zip to iPhone’s “/tmp”.
    NOTE: Some reports error, so you may want to make another copy of “pwn_old_boot_r2.sh” on the /tmp named “pwn_old_boot_r1.sh”
    Once done, SSH into the phone using PuTTy* or use MobileTerminal on the phone
    Use the same credentials as the SFTP credentials. Then run the following commands:
    cd /tmp
    chmod 755 pwn_old_boot_r2.sh
    chmod 755 pwn_old_boot_r1.sh
    ./pwn_old_boot_r2.sh
    Wait for the process to say “SUCCESS”
    type “reboot” and let the phone reboot
    Download sn0wbreeze 1.6.1*
    Create custom firmware for iOS4
    Use the Shift+Restore (on Windows) or Alt+Restore (on Mac) and point to the custom iOS4 firmware.
    NOTE: If you’re not using iTunes 9.2 at this point, an error (13) will be raised
    After complete, use Cydia and install the same packages again (openSSH, afc2add, MobileTerminal) and add another repository: ultrasn0w.com
    Find Ultrasn0w and your phone is now jailbroken and unlocked on iOS4
    is this confirmed that it works?

Thanks

In other threads and other sites they said that it worked, I have no performed it myself.

Again, I'm not advanced enough to jailbreak with that method. I need something simple, like blackra1n or spirit. Is there nothing like that so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Simtech View Post
    In other threads and other sites they said that it worked, I have no performed it myself.
    I tried it, and thats what I posted.

It didn't work for me. I always got error 1600 or 1601.

EDIT: the steps you posted wont work anyway. You are missing a couple crucial steps.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akward silence View Post

EDIT: the steps you posted wont work anyway. You are missing a couple crucial steps.
    Those the steps I used and they worked.

However, back to the original author's post, if you are uncomfortable with the above, there is no solution to that at present. You'll have to wait for new JB tool.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akward silence View Post

Like???