Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: restoring ios4 from jailbroken backup

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Exclamation restoring ios4 from jailbroken backup
    hello, im not sure if this has anything to do with my phone messing up but thought i would ask before doing it again, so here's my story.

i pre ordered iphone 4 the morning of the 15th and i got it on the 23rd, i currently own a jailborken 3g. so i did a final sync to my 3g in itunes to get the latest backup saved. then i plugged my iphone 4 in and picked my 3g's profiles to restore from, and everything was fine for the next 5 hours or so, then one moment i was using the camera and bam the phone freezes and shuts off, then turns on to apple logo for a couple of seconds then turns off, and keeps repeating that. so i read up on it and found crap, so i tried resting in dfu mode but i would get a 9 error and the phone would randomly disconnect its self and connected again during the process. i tried everything in the book, different computers, os's, ports, cables,version, always error 9. so i took it to apple, and he got the same thing and replaced the phone, and now im back to step one, with selecting my 3g's profile for a restore point. the guy at the genius bar and i both came to the conclusion that it was usb controller issues.

my question is could there have been ANY little chance it was the 3g's profile? or am i just being paranoid and should accept that i got a bad lemon 5 hours after using it and its perfectly safe to using that backup on on the new iphone 4 i got?

thanks
    cheers
    seesoe

iPhone? More like MyPhone sgt.pepper's Avatar
    Thanks

i dont think it was a problem with the 3g but try agan maybe. what exactly was on your 3g? andything abnormal?

HIT THANKS IF I HELPED!

13 recovery mode restores
    7 dfu mode restores
    2 custom firmware restores

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Assuming that a reset to factory defaults in DFU mode runs from Secure ROM, there's no way anything in your settings backup file could interfere with that.

But I'm not an engineer, so take that with a huge grain of salt.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgt.pepper View Post
    i dont think it was a problem with the 3g but try agan maybe. what exactly was on your 3g? andything abnormal?
    good question i like to mess with it a lot i don't remember what crazy things i installed, but i might just give it another go, or backup and restore the sms db and camera roll manually, and start fresh on the iphone fore, should give me something to do for the summer haha

Quote Originally Posted by ziggytrix View Post
    Assuming that a reset to factory defaults in DFU mode runs from Secure ROM, there's no way anything in your settings backup file could interfere with that.

But I'm not an engineer, so take that with a huge grain of salt.
    yeah im not sure, i couldn't make a link between the two. if it was gonna mess up from the backup it should of messed up during the backup restore, i used the camera multiple times after the backup restore, and nothing happened, just that one time a couple hours later it did.

thanks
    cheers
    seesoe