Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G 3.1.3

Default iPhone 3G 3.1.3
    So I have spent the better part of the last couple weeks trying to figure out if I can jailbreak and unlock my phone. I just upgraded to the new iPhone and have an old iPhone 3G. I have always updated the software on my iPhone and my iTunes (bad, I know). I did not upgrade the OS4 however.

Details:
    iPhone 3G
    iTunes 9.2.0.61
    Version 3.1.3 (7E18)
    Modem Firmware 05.12.01

I have never jailbroken (or unlocked this phone)

Questions
    Can I jailbreak
    Can I unlock
    Once unlocked, can my Dad use this phone on his tmobile pre-paid plan paying for minutes as he uses them and using the data only via-wifi?

If yes to any of these questions, do you mind providing detailed specific instructions (and please, dumb it down for me).

I'm usually not this clueless, but I have been lost looking through the various websites. Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    You can jailbreak with redsn0w, but it's still in beta. Here's a guide.

Once that's done you can unlock with ultrasn0w (works for all current basebands) using this guide.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ziggytrix For This Useful Post:

eyaln (2010-06-27)

Default Beta
    Any ideas when it will come out of beta. What are the risks with the beta? Thanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    For both of those questions, I have no idea really, cuz I'm new to this too. People have been having some issues with Cydia, but they seem pretty minor (here's the fix).

One more thing though, you asked:

"Once unlocked, can my Dad use this phone on his tmobile pre-paid plan paying for minutes as he uses them and using the data only via-wifi?"

I don't know about the pay-as-you-go part (might that make any difference?) but I do know that you don't need a data plan on an unlocked phone if you only plan to use wifi for internet apps.