Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New iPhone 4 restored from a jailbroken 3GS backup...

Default New iPhone 4 restored from a jailbroken 3GS backup...
    So as the title says, I restored the iphone 4 with a jailbroken 3gs backup and I just noticed where the carrier information goes, instead of saying "AT&T" it says what I had previously changed it to using FakeCarrier.

My question is....is this a sign of problems to come? Should I do a clean reinstall? If I do do a clean reinstall, would there be a way to hang on to my contacts and such without the leftover jailbroken remnants?

One potential problem Im concerned with is if I have to bring my phone in to the Apple store, theyre going to see the different carrier name which I would imagine would void my warranty. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!

I believe the only way you can get rid of it is to restore and set up as new.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

This is a known issue, has been reported on a few iP4's. It's just a bug so that in itself is nothing to worry about. HOWEVER, in relation to the question about 'problems to come' that is a good point. It may indicate something, or it may indicate nothing, time will tell I guess.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

I prefer setting up as new when going to a new device

i ran into the same problem when i updated like an idiot to iOS 4.0 with my 3gs.. you can save your contacts from your phone to your computers contacts and also save your music, photos, and apps then do a restore from new and it will ask if you wish to import your contacts and such..

As usual, I'm with Stealth on this one - always best to set up a new model as a new device. You can sync all your apps, photos, etc after that.

Thanks

Yeah, mine has the same thing where the carrier is supposed to be. It says "Beezy" lol, but I didn't worry about it.

I guess I wasnt thinking :/

The only thing is none of my contacts, pics, etc are synced in itunes. I cant stand using itunes and its syncing...maybe this is a topic for another thread, but i hate how it syncs eeeeeverything in a given category.

For example, maybe I just want some of my music on my phone? itunes seems to require that I take an "all or nothing" approach. Hence, I've always used Floola for managing music on my phone and avoid itunes at all costs. I dunno...maybe Im missing something.

Anyways, I think I'll leave it as is and report back if I find any complications (wasnt there a battery draining issue with the 3gs when restoring?).

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    I prefer setting up as new when going to a new device
    SB any idea how I can get my contacts onto the new phone from my backup without actually backing up?

I think there is a lil checkbox that lets you decide what songs from what albums (or whatever) you want on your device
    You can also just simply sync your contacts to the computer and when you do restore, sync it back in

Andda.... Fake carrier is actually an existing setting on every device, but it's hidden
    You can modify it without jailbreaking by modifying the backup file (I found it some while ago but threw the link away)
    So no surprise it is still there on your iOS4

Default Lost notification Icons
    I am in a similar situation and am considering a fresh install as new.

Have any of you also lost your status notification icons? Mail, SMS, Missed call, etc. are all gone for me with the upgrade to IOS 4.

Wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing this before I went and reinstalled. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by elguapo1401 View Post
    So as the title says, I restored the iphone 4 with a jailbroken 3gs backup and I just noticed where the carrier information goes, instead of saying "AT&T" it says what I had previously changed it to using FakeCarrier.

My question is....is this a sign of problems to come? Should I do a clean reinstall? If I do do a clean reinstall, would there be a way to hang on to my contacts and such without the leftover jailbroken remnants?

One potential problem Im concerned with is if I have to bring my phone in to the Apple store, theyre going to see the different carrier name which I would imagine would void my warranty. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!
    I think you can change carrier back to AT&T. Haven't tried though.

http://modmyi.com/forums/t-mobile/71...ml#post5310984

worth a shot i think.