Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3gs 3.1.2 jailbreak

Default 3gs 3.1.2 jailbreak
    Re-posted here as previously in wrong section.

3gs 3.1.2 jailbreak

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi, can anyone clear up my confusion?

I have 3GS which was bought a year ago on first day on release in UK. It is jailbroke using Blackra1n and is version 3.1.2

I read many posts saying that i can use Sn0wbreeze to jailbreak to IOS4. A lot of posts refer to the Boot Rom having to be the old boot rom type. Most posts say that models MC*** have the new boot rom type and can not currently be jailbroke with IOS4.

My confusion is if my phone was the earlier 3GS models how can it have a new boot rom?
    Is the info i read regarding MC*** incorrect?

I simply want to have IOS4 and still have the jailbreak.

is this possible and can i do it with Sn0wbreeze?

my bb is 5.11.07 (is that same as modem firmware?)

many thanks

Check your serial = if the 4th and 5th digit read 45 or higher then it's the new bootrom

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DJM AutoWerkz For This Useful Post:

maax555 (2010-06-25)

Quote Originally Posted by DJM AutoWerkz View Post
    Check your serial = if the 4th and 5th digit read 45 or higher then it's the new bootrom
    Hi DJM, my 4th and 5th are 29. So am i safe to try the Sn0wbreeze method or is there an easier way?

thanks

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It's a widespread misconception that MC can be used to determine anything useful about the 3GS. It can't. You need to look at the serial number, and if it's close to 940-942 you need to use software to check (no f0recast doesn't work for this, at least not properly).
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

maax555 (2010-06-25)

thanks, so as my serial is ***29 that would indicate its the old bootrom. Bearing in mind my phone is 3GS, 3.1.2, Blackra1n JB and i only have windows, what is best way to update to IOS4 and jailbreak?

thanks in advance

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maax555 View Post
    thanks, so as my serial is ***29 that would indicate its the old bootrom. Bearing in mind my phone is 3GS, 3.1.2, Blackra1n JB and i only have windows, what is best way to update to IOS4 and jailbreak?

thanks in advance
    Well, both sn0wbreeze and pwnagetool can do it, though I only recommend pwnagetool. The Dev Team's offerings are generally more well-programmed and well-tested.

In any case, you need to get a hold of a custom 4.0 firmware and restore to that.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

maax555 (2010-06-25)

i thought pwnage was mac only?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Pwnage tool is Mac only. The Dev teams window's flavour is Redsn0w but unfortunately it does not suppose 3GS currently.

Snowbreeze is the way to go for you. Unless you trust torrent to download a Pwnage cooked IPSW that way and then restore with it(all pwnage does it 'cook' the ipsw, itunes restores it so once it's cooked, pwnage is left out), or get a friend to do it for you.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Will01 For This Useful Post:

maax555 (2010-06-25)

Quote Originally Posted by Will01 View Post
    Pwnage tool is Mac only. The Dev teams window's flavour is Redsn0w but unfortunately it does not suppose 3GS currently.

Snowbreeze is the way to go for you. Unless you trust torrent to download a Pwnage cooked IPSW that way and then restore with it(all pwnage does it 'cook' the ipsw, itunes restores it so once it's cooked, pwnage is left out), or get a friend to do it for you.
    thanks for that. if i used a cooked ipsw would this cause any problems for me in future,say when 4.1.0 IOS comes out. WOuld i have to always reply on a cooked ipsw or could i go a different way (if available) in future?

I heard many many people saying stay away from sn0wbreeze but not sure if they screwed up things by not following instructions or using it when it was not suitable for there particular release of iphone?

Whatever i use i dont mind a little hassle as long as i dont end up with an unusable iphone.

thanks

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Using a cooked ipsw is applicable for current build. Once a new build is released you have a few options:

1. Upgrade to a stock firmware at which point you phone because iOS4.x as if it was never JB
    2. Upgrade using a CFW to stay JB on new firmware
    3. Do option 1 THEN JB with a new JB tool.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Will01 For This Useful Post:

maax555 (2010-06-25)

Thanks Will, i think i will try and download a cooked ipsw as this seems the most straight forward option.
    If anyone has downloaded a valid cooked file i would appreciate a link.

thanks to all.

i have found a custom ipsw for 3gs which i kinda trust. Am i rigght in thinking i only need to open itunes and do a restore and choose this custom file?
    Last edited by maax555; 2010-06-25 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

If you are still currently jailbroken, Yes.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maax555 View Post
    Thanks Will, i think i will try and download a cooked ipsw as this seems the most straight forward option.
    If anyone has downloaded a valid cooked file i would appreciate a link.

thanks to all.

i have found a custom ipsw for 3gs which i kinda trust. Am i rigght in thinking i only need to open itunes and do a restore and choose this custom file?
    You are right in thinking that. Just choose 'restore' while holding down the 'shift' key. Then point to the downloaded ipsw.

About future upgrades, it's actually an advantage sticking to custom firmwares. If you have a phone that can't use them, you'll always need to wait until a new bug/exploit has been found the new firmware whereas with custom firmwares, they're available right after every release of a new version. Custom firmwares gives you secure jailbreaks indefinitely. The also don't require firmware signing (SHSHs) so you can go up and down in version any way you'd like.