Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: YES/NO 3GS 359.3 old bootrom U/G to 4.0

Default YES/NO 3GS 359.3 old bootrom U/G to 4.0
    sorry if this question has been asked for like thousand times.
    iphone 3gs currently running 3.1.3 official firmware, NON-Jailbroken, with OLD bootrom 359.3 and serial number XX923.
    i jailbreaked it with Spirit before, but they said the new PwnageTool will not work with Spirit jailbreak, so i SHSH restored back to original 3.1.3
    Can i able to use PwnageTool 4.0.1 to jailbreak and u/g to 4.0??

thank you

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Having the old bootrom will allow you to use pwnage tools to restore to iOS 4.0 but, what you said is correct, once you have applied Spirit jailbreak, it doesn't matter new or old bootrom, pwnage tool will not work anymore.
    So now the best way is to just have your 3.1.3 jailbreak with Spirit and unlock with Ultrasn0w available from Cydia.

Thanks for the quick reply.
    so you mean once i jailbreak with Spirit, the PwnageTool will never work again, even if i restore back to official Firmware 3.1.3.
    is it possible for me to jailbreak the iphone with some other methods and then use PwnageTool?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by holyfish View Post
    so you mean once i jailbreak with Spirit, the PwnageTool will never work again, even if i restore back to official Firmware 3.1.3.
    is it possible for me to jailbreak the iphone with some other methods and then use PwnageTool?
    Yes, having the old bootrom, if there is a tool other than the current spirit jailbreak, e.g. if the Dev comes out with an updated version of Redsn0w, then you can use it to jailbreak and thereafter, use pwnage tools to restore for all future updates, which also means you will be unlock at any version.

Since your Iphone has never been jailbroken, you won't have any shsh blogs saved with Cydia, which means you cannot restore to any version other than iOS 4.0. But now at 3.1.3 , you have only one shot to jailbreak with Spirit, if you messed it up, then you have to restore to OS 4.0 is your only option.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-06-25 at 07:38 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by holyfish View Post
    If you could restore back to 3.1.2 you could use blackra1n to jailbreak and then pwnagetool to get to iOS4. It's not that Spirit messes up your chances of using pwnagetool, it's just that Spirit doesn't jailbreak at a low enough level to be able to use a custom firmware afterwards. That's why you need to go to 3.1.2 where blackra1n can jailbreak.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

BumbleBeez (2010-06-25)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    If you could restore back to 3.1.2 you could use blackra1n to jailbreak and then pwnagetool to get to iOS4. It's not that Spirit messes up your chances of using pwnagetool, it's just that Spirit doesn't jailbreak at a low enough level to be able to use a custom firmware afterwards. That's why you need to go to 3.1.2 where blackra1n can jailbreak.
    This is correct. This issue is not spirit itself, its that it jailbreaks in userland, i.e. after the kernal, not in the bootrom, which is what is required to run Pwnage/Snowbreeze.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Will01 For This Useful Post:

BumbleBeez (2010-06-25)

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Will01 View Post
    This is correct. This issue is not spirit itself, its that it jailbreaks in userland, i.e. after the kernal, not in the bootrom, which is what is required to run Pwnage/Snowbreeze.
    Thanks for this! These are explanations as to why you can't use CFW exploits after Spirit that most of the people who come here SHOULD be able to understand! You have both been thanked!!