Results 1 to 16 of 16

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Help with Upgrading to 4.0 for a used jailbroken iphone

  1. #1
    Default Help with Upgrading to 4.0 for a used jailbroken iphone
    Hello all,

    I am a new member here. I've a very interesting question:

    I just bought a used iphone running jailbroken 3.1.2. So, that means I don't have original owner's sim card.

    However, I have my own AT&T sim card (without data plan). I would like to upgrade this phone to a normal (not jailbroken) firmware 4.0. I don't care about losing applications or data that came on this used iphone. My questions are:

    1) What are the steps to upgrade my iphone to official firmware 4.0 ?
    2) Do I need to first restore it to factory settings ? If yes, how can I restore this used jailbroken iphone (running 3.1.2) to unjailbroken factory setting without original owner's sim card ?

    3) After restoring, do I need to get data plan (which I don't want to buy) to use it with my sim card ?


    Thanks for your help in advance.

  2. #2
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    You did not mention if you have 3G or a 3GS, can't give you any advise.
    If it is a 3gs, is it a new bootrom or old bootrom?

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

    sbtechie (2010-06-25)

  4. #3
    It is 3GS 16GB.

    And I am a newbie, not sure if I've new bootrom or old bootrom. (My Model number starts with MC and 3rd/4th digits are 35). And the serial number is xx939xxxxxx. Is it considered old bootrom ??
    Last edited by sbtechie; 2010-06-25 at 06:12 AM.

  5. #4
    just update it to 4.0 in itunes it will unjailbreak it and you will be good to go. Also once you put your sim in it sends the imei to at&t so now they know you have the phone and they might activate the plan anyway if not you can just call them and set it up. Other then that you should be good.

  6. #5
    Hi Dholloran,

    Thanks for your reply. But, I don't want to activate data plan. I am always surrounded by Wi-Fi at my work and home, so would prefer not to activate data plan. Is there any way to bypass it during this updating process ?

    Thanks.

  7. #6
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sbtechie View Post
    Hi Dholloran,

    Thanks for your reply. But, I don't want to activate data plan. I am always surrounded by Wi-Fi at my work and home, so would prefer not to activate data plan. Is there any way to bypass it during this updating process ?

    Thanks.
    Do not update to iOS 4.0 or you will be screwed. I will explain to you

    sbtechie, do you want to jailbreak and unlock? Your iphone is only one of the few that has the best tools to work on. It is up to you. let me know.

    I think you just want iOS 4.0, just press update in Itunes and let it restore. You will be restored to an unjailbroken and locked Iphone. Done
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-06-25 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

    sbtechie (2010-06-25)

  9. #7
    From what I got from AT&T CS there is not really a way around it unless you have an older 3G like mine which does not shoot them the imei where as my gf that did seamingly AT&T asked for my imei and not for hers in about the same time span. The only way around it is if you have another AT&T phone put your sim into it and then call AT&T and have your internet blocked from what I read that might fix it. You have to leave you sim in the orig. phone until after everything is taken care of

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to DHolloran For This Useful Post:

    sbtechie (2010-06-25)

  11. #8
    Thanks buddy Yeow202 !

    I was on the update dialogue box inside iTunes and I saw your message pop up and read your message before going ahead. I am assuming I almost got saved.

    The phone is already jailbroken right now with 3.1.2 and I want to install new firmware 4.0 on it without paying for data plan in the process. The phone is a used iphone, so I don't have original owner's sim card.

    I don't mind unlocking it. However, mainly I would like to install 4.0 (either jailbroken or official).

    Waiting for your answer on how to proceed...

  12. #9
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sbtechie View Post
    Thanks buddy Yeow202 !

    I was on the update dialogue box inside iTunes and I saw your message pop up and read your message before going ahead. I am assuming I almost got saved.

    The phone is already jailbroken right now with 3.1.2 and I want to install new firmware 4.0 on it without paying for data plan in the process. The phone is a used iphone, so I don't have original owner's sim card.

    I don't mind unlocking it. However, mainly I would like to install 4.0 (either jailbroken or official).

    Waiting for your answer on how to proceed...
    Is your Iphone jailbroken by Blackra1n or Spirit. If it is Blackra1n, you don't need an official sim card to do the update to a jailbroken iOS 4.0.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

    sbtechie (2010-06-25)

  14. #10
    How do I find out which software was used by original owner to jailbreak it ?

  15. #11
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sbtechie View Post
    How do I find out which software was used by original owner to jailbreak it ?
    Well, alright maybe jailbreaking and unlocking involves quite abit of knowledge and time consuming.
    If you just want iOS 4.0, just do an update if you want to preserve your data or if you want to wipe it out, just hit restore and setup as a new phone.

    If you choose to jailbreak and unlock , you have to create a custom firmware made from SnowBreeze and then restore to the one you just created and you are all set. Install Ultrasn0w if you want an unlock for overseas to use on a local carrier.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

    sbtechie (2010-06-25)

  17. #12
    I see an app called "Blackra1n" when I search. However, I don't see anything with name "spirit". So, I am assuming the owner jailbroke it using Blackra1n ??

    Does that mean I am good to go with clicking on "update" ?

    And one question, may sound slightly silly, should I keep my sim card into the phone while updating or only after it has been updated ?

  18. #13
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sbtechie View Post
    I see an app called "Blackra1n" when I search. However, I don't see anything with name "spirit". So, I am assuming the owner jailbroke it using Blackra1n ??

    Does that mean I am good to go with clicking on "update" ?

    And one question, may sound slightly silly, should I keep my sim card into the phone while updating or only after it has been updated ?
    You must be on official carrier, you can keep your sim card in while performing the necessary step. You haven't answered whether you want a jailbreak or not. We can try to do the jailbreak, if it doesn't work then you can just restore to iOS 4.0

    Assuming you want to jailbreak, and i am going to be very brief on how to do it.
    If you have a pc, donwload Snowbreeze 1.6.1 OR
    If you have a mac, download Pwnage 4.0
    and create a custom iOS 4.0 . Once created just restore to the one you created and unlock with Ultrasn0w
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-06-25 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

    sbtechie (2010-06-25)

  20. #14
    Sure, we can install jailbreak 4.0.

    Can we first remove all apps and wipe out data of the original owner ? He has left his footprint in all applications in the phone...

    So,

    1) ideally first remove data and apps of original owner
    2) install jailbroken 4.0

    Waiting for steps !

  21. #15
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sbtechie View Post
    Sure, we can install jailbreak 4.0.

    Can we first remove all apps and wipe out data of the original owner ? He has left his footprint in all applications in the phone...

    So,

    1) ideally first remove data and apps of original owner
    2) install jailbroken 4.0

    Waiting for steps !
    It will be all gone when you jailbreak and setup as a new iphone

    Do you have messenger, it is very hard to guide you unless you are knowledgeble on Iphone

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

    sbtechie (2010-06-25)

  23. #16
    looks good...may I get links for those softwares ?

    I am following links and steps from here, I hope they are safe:
    Download Sn0wbreeze 1.6.1 to Jailbreak iPhone 3GS/3G iOS 4.0 on Windows - download sn0wbreeze 1.6.1, download snow breeze, download snowbreeze, how to guide, jailbreak iOS 4.0 on windows, Jailbreak iPhone 3GS, snowbreeze 1.6 - Technically Personal!

    Thanks to yeow202, my phone is running a jailbroken 4.0 and it's unlocked too ! Hurray ! 3 cheers mate !
    Last edited by sbtechie; 2010-06-25 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •