Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Confused.. I want to restore or upgrade, not sure of the best way

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Confused.. I want to restore or upgrade, not sure of the best way
    I bought this phone and it's pissing me off.
    Here's a little info.

Right now I have a 3gs running 3.1.3 and it's jailbroken but I'm not sure with what. The phone won't boot up. It stops on the battery logo (empty) or with the apple. I can get it to show up in itunes to where it can be restored.

I'm debating restoring it with 3.1.3 broke with sn0wbreeze or if I should do something with os 4.0

I'm not a pro at this (obviously) and I'm a little confused. This battery bug is irritating too, I've tried resetting it a million times and other things people have suggested.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance.

p.s. spent a lot of time on here but this is my first post. I wanted to say thanks to the people that have helped with their writing in the past.

Just a few questions before i try to help.

Have you tried the hard reset(hold sleep/wake and home down at the same time untill phone resets)?

What computer OS are you using(might be able to give you a link to a program that will get you into recovery modes)?

oh btw...go IOS4.
    HoshiGOLean

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I tried the hard reset and got nothing, it won't go past the dead battery screen.

I'm running win7 sorry I forgot to leave that out.

Thanks for helping, I've spent way too much time on this to get nothing done =)

Edit: additional information I get the 1604 unknown error when I try to restore 3.1.3, I haven't tried the 4.0 since it's a one way street.
    Last edited by Stonetz; 2010-06-25 at 04:15 AM. Reason: new info

Oh well I researched the battery logo keep coming up and found you could have a bad battery. Try leaving it on a charger for 24 hours then check it.

As far as 3.1 or 4.0...like I said...go 4.0

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hmm I've had it plugged in for long enough, charging it won't fix it. I don't think it's a battery issue because it was working fine before the previous owner wiped his data off of it.

I'm going to give 4.0 a try soon I'm just worried about going to 4.0 and not being able to go back.

Thanks again though.

Well if you go to ios4 use redsn0w. It's your best bet on getting it jailbroke. Let me know if there is anything else I can help with!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    should I try letting itunes take it to ios4 and then use redsn0w or is letting itunes upgrade it a bad idea?

Hit restore in iTunes..
    it will restore you to 4.0

But there is no jailbreak solution for you yet, so you'll need an official SIM card to get access to the phone.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I'm in Chile and I don't have an official card, I'll hold off until the jailbreak and then give that a shot. Thanks.

well you can get a hold of 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 official firmware and restore it with that through itunes option+click on mac or ctrl+click windows and then navigate to where you downloaded the .ipsw file aka firmware and use that to restore. IDK if this will work for you and idk if it will get you anywhere since you still have the unlock issue but it might help. You can get the firmware here Firmware - The iPhone Wiki