Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Ok, let me see if I understand this right...

Default Ok, let me see if I understand this right...
    I have a 3GS with the old bootrom that was running 3.1.3 and the Spirit jailbreak. I was also using iTunes 9.03. I keep reading stuff about how I can't jailbreak it if I upgraded to 4.0 with this setup. Ok, whatever (I barely understand all this as it is). How about if I did a full restore back to 3.1.3 factory firmware (no jailbreak) and then upgraded to iTunes 9.2 and then iOS 4.0?

I guess what I'm trying to understand is does the Spirit jailbreak do something "permanent" to the phone that screws me out of ever JB'ing it on 4.0?

Thanks

No, it doesn't do permanent damage but you will have to be jailbroken with 3.1.2 using anything but Spirit to get to 4.0 jailbroken.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Simtech For This Useful Post:

captainmccool (2010-06-25)

This is what I've been wondering for a couple days with how harshly the Dev team has spoken about not using Spirit. I think the reality is if your only option for a JB is spirit there's no way for you to get to 4.0 anyway so it really isn't a big deal. Just don't update to 4.0 and enjoy 3.1.3 until an all-fixing new tool comes out. Thanks for this confirmation about Spirit being fine for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Simtech View Post
    No, it doesn't do permanent damage but you will have to be jailbroken with 3.1.2 using anything but Spirit to get to 4.0 jailbroken.
    Thanks. Oh well. I guess someone will come out with a JB for 4.0 like Spirit (or something similar) eventually. I can wait. There were only a couple of JB apps I used anyway and I really haven't needed them for a while.