Results 1 to 18 of 18

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Old or new bootrom (Please help, I believe I did my HW on this!)

  1. #1
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Old or new bootrom (Please help, I believe I did my HW on this!)
    Hi all,

    This is my first post here, I just recently got into this whole jailbreaking/unlocking scene. I did a lot of research and reading and googling..etc. And I know this topic has been beaten to death. However, I still can't determine if my bootrom is "new" or "old"! So i finally decided to post here asking for help (as much as I hate repeating something that has been talked about enough).

    So here is it:

    I have an iPhone 3GS, jailbroken with Spirit (used spirit because initially i was under the impression that i have a new bootrom). FW is 3.1.3 (and the SHSH is saved as such). Base band is 5.12.01

    Ok, so my research tells me there are two ways to know which bootrom i have:

    1: Serial number: the date code on mine is (0935) so below 39 but i'm still not sure if that's enough.
    2: The whole put the device on DFU and check that long string for iboot 359.3 vs 359.3.x

    so the first one i've done. The second however has just gotten the better of me! I put my device in both recovery AND DFU and both strings don't have anything even close to "iboot" or the numbers mentioned above!!

    Here is what i get:

    Recovery :
    USB\VID_05AC$PID_1281\CPID:8920_CPRV:14_CPFM:03_SC EP:03_BDID:00_ECID:000001849A19****_IBFL:01_SRNM:[**935T*****]_IMEI:[0119****383****]

    DFU:
    USB\VID_05AC&PID_****\5&2cA5A2BA&0&3

    I've put asterisks in certain places for my security.

    SO, WHAT BOOTROM DO I HAVE??!! LOL

    Thanks for your help

  2. #2
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    N. Ireland
    Posts
    649
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 81 Times in 75 Posts

    It mustn't be properly in DFU, DFU should read like your recovery line reads with the exception of a bit at the end saying [iBoot-0.359.x]

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Will01 For This Useful Post:

    Ronnitude (2010-06-24)

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnitude View Post
    Hi all,

    This is my first post here, I just recently got into this whole jailbreaking/unlocking scene. I did a lot of research and reading and googling..etc. And I know this topic has been beaten to death. However, I still can't determine if my bootrom is "new" or "old"! So i finally decided to post here asking for help (as much as I hate repeating something that has been talked about enough).

    So here is it:

    I have an iPhone 3GS, jailbroken with Spirit (used spirit because initially i was under the impression that i have a new bootrom). FW is 3.1.3 (and the SHSH is saved as such). Base band is 5.12.01

    Ok, so my research tells me there are two ways to know which bootrom i have:

    1: Serial number: the date code on mine is (0935) so below 39 but i'm still not sure if that's enough.
    2: The whole put the device on DFU and check that long string for iboot 359.3 vs 359.3.x

    so the first one i've done. The second however has just gotten the better of me! I put my device in both recovery AND DFU and both strings don't have anything even close to "iboot" or the numbers mentioned above!!

    Here is what i get:

    Recovery :
    USBVID_05ACCPID:8920_CPRV:14_CPFM:03_SCEP:03_BDID: 00_ECID:000001849A19****_IBFL:01_SRNM:[**935T*****]_IMEI:[0119****383****]

    DFU:
    USBVID_05AC&PID_****5&2cA5A2BA&0&3

    I've put asterisks in certain places for my security.

    SO, WHAT BOOTROM DO I HAVE??!! LOL

    Thanks for your help
    Old Bootrom! Clearly!
    Press Thanks! If Its Worth It!

  5. #4
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    So the way i have been getting to what i thought was DFU is:
    While plugging my iphone to the computer (connected to itunes) I press and hold the power and home botton. After the device shuts off, I release the power botton while still holding the home botton until itunes gives me that msg that they detected an iphone in recovery mode. The iphone screen in that mode is completely black (versus showing the itunes symbol with the cable when it's in recovery mode). What is it that i'm doing wrong? Thanks.

    @Drmias: Don't get me excited now lol, can you tell me how did you determine that? thanks.
    Last edited by Ronnitude; 2010-06-24 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  6. #5
    Retired Moderator soulthoughts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    3,096
    Thanks
    333
    Thanked 603 Times in 506 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnitude View Post
    1: Serial number: the date code on mine is (0935) so below 39 but i'm still not sure if that's enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnitude View Post
    @Drmias: Don't get me excited now lol, can you tell me how did you determine that? thanks.
    The first quote tells you that you have the old bootrom. Your phone was made in 2009 in week 35.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to soulthoughts For This Useful Post:

    Ronnitude (2010-06-24)

  8. #6
    Srnm:[**935t*****]
    Press Thanks! If Its Worth It!

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to drmias For This Useful Post:

    Ronnitude (2010-06-24)

  10. #7
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    So just looking at the date code IS enough then? This is good news for me, thanks guys! Here is an other question though (i know i'm being greedy):

    Like i said, i have used Spirit to jailbreak my iphone. And apparently the new dev team tools for jailbreaking iOS 4 doesn't work in my case. I've read that over and over again, but i just can't get my head around it! Isn't it possible to restore the phone (i.e lock it back and reverse whatever Spirit did to it) and THEN use these new tools? If not, why?

  11. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnitude View Post
    So just looking at the date code IS enough then? This is good news for me, thanks guys! Here is an other question though (i know i'm being greedy):

    Like i said, i have used Spirit to jailbreak my iphone. And apparently the new dev team tools for jailbreaking iOS 4 doesn't work in my case. I've read that over and over again, but i just can't get my head around it! Isn't it possible to restore the phone (i.e lock it back and reverse whatever Spirit did to it) and THEN use these new tools? If not, why?
    First, you should make sure you've got your blobs for 3.1.2 or 3.1.3, then restore to:
    3.1.2 and JB with blackra1n

    OR:
    restore to a CUSTOM 3.1.3 made by Sn0wBreeze or PwnageTools.

    then you'll be eligible to upgrade to a CUSTOM 4.0 made by both of the above.
    Press Thanks! If Its Worth It!

  12. #9
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Ok, So by blobs you mean the SHSH store thing correct? if so, i have that for 3.1.3 not 3.1.2 so I'm not sure i can downgrade.

    I'll give Sn0wBreeze a try and get back to you. My only concern here is that I'm up to iTunes 9.2 (i think i read somewhere that it only supports iOS 4 now?)
    Also, i should just restore to the custom 3.1.3 FW made by sn0wBreeze right from my spirit jailbroken iphone correct? No mods or "delete phone settings" is required? Thanks

  13. #10
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    N. Ireland
    Posts
    649
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 81 Times in 75 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by drmias View Post
    OR:
    restore to a CUSTOM 3.1.3 made by Sn0wBreeze or PwnageTools.
    Are you positive the 3G[S] can be JB with Sn0wBreeze/Pwnage on 3.1.3. if it is not previously JB on 3.1.2.

    I could be wrong but I am almost certain you need to be JB on 3.1.2. for the phone to accept 3.1.3. custom firmware.

  14. #11
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Will01 View Post
    Are you positive the 3G[S] can be JB with Sn0wBreeze/Pwnage on 3.1.3. if it is not previously JB on 3.1.2.

    I could be wrong but I am almost certain you need to be JB on 3.1.2. for the phone to accept 3.1.3. custom firmware.
    So what's the deal guys? which way am I to go? If Sn0wBreeze can't be used in my case, what could? I just read in redmondpie that Sn0wBreeze also doesn't work on spirit jailbroken iPhones! This is starting to give me a headache!! What does spirit do exactly to those phones and why can't it be reversed??
    Last edited by Ronnitude; 2010-06-24 at 06:52 PM.

  15. #12
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    N. Ireland
    Posts
    649
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 81 Times in 75 Posts

    Its not what spirit does. Its a case of the type of JB it is, the spirit JB kicks in AFTER the kernal. The current JB's use the 24kpwn exploit which allowed third parties to upload their software. This 24kpwn exploit was plugged in 3.1.3. In order to still use such a exploit the phone must already have a low level JB (i.e. before the kernal) to allow it to be used. Newer devices simply don't have the exploit for them to use.

  16. #13
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    So let me just rephrase to make sure i understand this: Because I only jailbroke my iphone with spirit on 3.1.3 and never before, my 3.1.3 does NOT have the 24kpwn exploit on it. In other words, I basically had to have a "custom" or "pwned" firmware 3.1.3 or 3.1.2 for the new dev team tools to work? hmmm

    so in this case, my only options would be to:
    1 - Somehow get a firmware in my device that has that exploit in it.(Not sure how to do that since i do not have the 24kpwn exploit there! lol a catch 22 anyone?)
    2 - Wait on an "After the kernal" JB for iOS 4!! (I think i heard of the pwnd4life that George is coming out with which seems to fit the bill)

    If there are any other ways i could do this please let me know. Thanks

  17. #14
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    N. Ireland
    Posts
    649
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 81 Times in 75 Posts

    Yeh thats pretty much right.

    1. If you workout how to do that without SHSH the Jailbreak dev's will love you
    2. Wait on a similar JB to spirit yes or an all new JB that works on some new exploit on current iBoot's.

  18. #15
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Hahahaha, I'm sure they will

    Well hey, thanks a lot for your help! I really do appreciate it. Thanks.

  19. #16
    Retired Moderator j3st3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,447
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 405 Times in 395 Posts

    From what I have read from posixninja and geohot the exploit they both have will still result in a tethered jailbreak for newer devises, i.e. new iBoot 3gs, iPad, and iPhone 4, older devises will still be untethered

  20. #17
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    According to the folks who responded to me earlier, i got an old bootrom. So i'm keeping my fingers crossed! My issue now is that i only jailbroke with spirit on 3.1.3... so!

  21. #18
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    N. Ireland
    Posts
    649
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 81 Times in 75 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r3 View Post
    From what I have read from posixninja and geohot the exploit they both have will still result in a tethered jailbreak for newer devises, i.e. new iBoot 3gs, iPad, and iPhone 4, older devises will still be untethered
    Did Geohot not post a video of him booting an 3gs on new bootrom on 3.1.3 untethered before spirit was even released?

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •