Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Definitive 3GS with 359.3.2 Bootloader Jailbreak answer?

Default Definitive 3GS with 359.3.2 Bootloader Jailbreak answer?
    I apologize for asking what may be a dumb question, but I was fairly active and I think helpful in the community a while back as you'll see from my profile so hopefully that buys me some positive Karma.

I've been searching for quite a bit and I can't seem to find a definitive answer on the status or upcoming status of jailbreak/unlock for a 3GS with the 359.3.2 bootloader and iOS4.

I'm running that now and I'm selling my phone to a friend as I'm getting an iPhone4 but I want to make sure it's very clear what he's getting into. He's going to be using the phone with an At&t SIM that is meant for a blackberry (his company doesn't support iPhones) so he needs hacktivation... meaning jailbreak.

From what I'm reading it seems like with this bootloader and firmware you're pretty well screwed for now, the big question is where limera1n and the like stand? It seems as if there has been some secret way to jailbreak these phones that the dev team didn't want to release until iPhone4 was out (which makes sense) but all of the discussions I see around this are vague at best...

Thanks in advance for any clarification here, I'm sure it will be helpful to some others as well... before long the only new 3GSs available are going to be in the state I described above. Mine is in fact a replacement that I just recently got because of a touch screen issue so it came with 359.3.2 on it... seems the big mistake I may have made was putting iOS4 on it.

- TheYoshi

Are you sure your friend needs hacktivation for his AT&T SIM? I'm pretty sure the phone will activate as long as it's on the AT&T network, at least, that's how it works on the legit networks in Canada.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to drumstyx For This Useful Post:

TheYoshi (2010-06-25)

How do you know what bootrom you have.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drumstyx View Post
    Are you sure your friend needs hacktivation for his AT&T SIM? I'm pretty sure the phone will activate as long as it's on the AT&T network, at least, that's how it works on the legit networks in Canada.
    ^^I believe this to be the case too^^

Which phone the sim originally came from is not the point. Its the carrier. So he will be able to activate it with that SIM.

Problem solved.

In re of the question about which BootRom you are on, Search as there or threads everywhere. There is another good guide to it here: Apple HotTips! | Facebook

He used hacktivation last time but that may have just been paranoia about doing a normal activation since it's a sim from his company issues blackberry.

You're saying a normal At&t sim (even if it's one not associated to an iPhone plan) should work just fine for normal activation? If so that would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by danwms
    How do you know what bootrom you have.
    I simply booted the phone into DFU mode and checked using the OSX system profiler. There are lots of guides for how to do this but if you need more help let me know.

Guys thanks for the help here, this could really make matters simple for what we're trying to do. Although still curious about what the status is for limera1n and the like as well.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Yeh it doesnt matter which plan its on. Forget about this plan and that. It only matters which carrier the sim is from.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Will01 For This Useful Post:

TheYoshi (2010-06-25)

I just got home from a ridiculous airline experience and went ahead and activated my iPhone4 (man this thing is sweet). One question about my friend activating his 3gs (my old one)...

He's not going to know the social security number associated to the phone number since it's a company plan.. there may not even be one, is that going to cause him grief?

When I activated mine it asked me for the phone number and last 4 of the social security number on the account in iTunes. Assuming he'll have the same experience, or is this a bad assumption?

Thanks again for all the help thus far!

One would assume it's his own SSN?

One would assume it's his own SSN?
    Note that I said the plan was set up under his company and not him, hence NOT his SSN.

Ultimately it didn't even ask for his SSN, he just turned it on with his SIM in it and within seconds it said "activated" what we are running into is that data doesn't work... last time that was fixed with: Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone can't remember if that required jailbreaking or not... anyone done data hacktivation on iOS4 yet?

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoshi View Post
    .... it didn't even ask for his SSN, he just turned it on with his SIM in it and within seconds it said "activated" what we are running into is that data doesn't work... last time that was fixed with: Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone can't remember if that required jailbreaking or not... anyone done data hacktivation on iOS4 yet?
    FYI this worked for data activation, so thank you all for the advice, turns out no jailbreak necessary with an AT&T sim for both voice and data
    Last edited by TheYoshi; 2010-06-26 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

theyoshi, im new to the iphone, and im also with tmobile, but heres my knowledge since i am a geek to the blackberry platform....any sim card that is AT&T will work with any phone that is AT&T and any phone that is unlocked for GSM. herein lies your problem for your friend, his company is using blackberries, so im going to go on a limb and say that they have one huge data plan for that company and they are all on the blackberry data plan, which is totally different from the iphone data plan, and the only way to get his data to work on the iphone would be for the company to change its data plan to an iphone plan, which leaves everyone else that has a blackberry that works there, out in the rain. its a 2 part fix, the sim is no problem, but then the data is the 2nd part that you have to make work at this point....if you want to keep the iphone on his companies dime, the only way he will have data services is if he can somehow get on wifi constantly

The company you worked for had a different APN to your mates sim card. You just need to know the APN for the data plan your mates on and put that into the data settings on the iphone