Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: JB 3GS on 3.1.2, curious.

Default JB 3GS on 3.1.2, curious.
    Here's my situation.

I'm waiting on my iPhone 4 and I'm going to be selling my current 3GS to a friend. It was jailbroken with blackra1n after installing (restoring to) 3.1.2 a few months ago. I'm on AT&T so I don't need an unlock, but my friend is considering it.

current Phone stats:
    Jailbroken (not unlocked)
    iPhone 3GS 16gb (black)
    Version: 3.1.2 (7D11)
    Model: MC135LL
    Modem Firmware: 05.11.07

I'd love to get this phone upgraded to 4.0 for him and get it jailbroken but I'm completely confused with all of the options. Redsn0w versions, PwnageTool versions, etc.

What I want to do is get this phone upgraded to 4.0, then jailbreak it and then (preferably) have the ability to unlock it so he can use it on TMobile.

Can anyone tell me in black/white terms if this is possible, and if so - is there a place where I could find directions on how to accomplish this? I used Blackra1n for my 3GS a while back and that was a literal 2 step process so I'm not familiar with custom firmwares and so on.

Thanks for any help.
    index.

Anyone?

52 people have looked at this and no one knows?
    Last edited by index; 2010-06-24 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Ok, firstly is a 3G[S] so redsn0w will not work. You alternatives are Snowbreeze for windows or Pwnage Tool for Mac.

If you currently JB on 3.1.2 your part of the way there. Simply cook an ipsw in one of the program and Shift+Click restore it in itunes.

Simples.

I dont think it will work. I read the info on Sn0wbreeze and it said that the 3GS needs to have the OLD bootrom and it needs to be a non-MC model.

Mine is an MC model.

Thanks

The MB/MC rule is for ipt2g so you may be on the old bootrom.

When you JB with Blackrain where you tethered? if so then it's probable your on new boot rom.

Try this to know for sure (i'll refer to windows rules as you talked about snowbreeze so I assume that's where you are):

1) Load up iTunes
    2) Plug in your device and wait for it to show in iTunes
    3) Turn your device off
    4) Hold power and home buttons together until your PC shows 'installed device driver', at this point, let go of power and CONTINUE to hold home. Itunes will pop up a message to say it has detected a device in restore mode, let go of home.
    5) DO NOT RESTORE
    6) Go to Start>Right Click My Computer>Properties
    7) Go to device managers
    8) Look for an entry Apple Mobile USB Device
    9) Right Click properties
    10) Under driver information scroll down to 'Device Instance Path'
    11) At the end of this line you will see:

iBoot 359.x
    359.3 is old
    359.3.3 is also old
    359.3.2 is new (the one you don't want)

That way you will know what Bootrom your on.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Will01 For This Useful Post:

index (2010-06-24)

I was not tethered with blackra1n. I've been able to reboot and shut down my iPhone without having to rejailbreak. I tried checking the iBoot version but I couldn't find that info, even on Device Instance path.

So I guess I'm on the old bootROM then?

edit, looks like I am. I guess I was in recovery mode when I tried that in the past, so I tried it again and I'm on 359.3.

Thanks

I would be fairly certain you are, new boot on blackrain was tethered so if you where on blackrain untethered i'm fairly sure your on old boot.

I would recommend, if your concerned double checking your iBoot first. Take a look around the web, there are numerous ways to source that info.

For your info, under deviceinstancepatch it will say iBoot at the very end of that line. I double checked mine last night.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Will01 For This Useful Post:

index (2010-06-24)

Looks like we posted at the same time. Yeah, I'm definitely on the old bootROM. Now to find step by step directions on how to do this, lol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by index View Post
    Looks like we posted at the same time. Yeah, I'm definitely on the old bootROM. Now to find step by step directions on how to do this, lol.
    It's simply enough. Check

Redmond Pie

they'll have a guide

Edit/ Ensure you JB with Blackrain on 312 first. VERY important
    Last edited by Will01; 2010-06-24 at 03:17 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Will01 For This Useful Post:

index (2010-06-24)

heh heh yeah I just found it there. Thanks for all your help Will01. I (and I assume my friend) really appreciate it!

Thanks

No problem, thats what we're here for

OK now I'm confused.. I did the Sn0wbreeze method and I can't find Cydia on my phone!

Is there any other way to check if the jailbreak went through without a hitch? I didn't get any errors or anything.

Thanks

Hmm....this is where I am going to struggle. I am not at home at mo so cannot look at this. Did you check 'install cydia' when you where cooking your fw?

Also, have you rebooted in case it didnt show the first time?

No I didn't see that anywhere. It only asked me if I wanted to activate my phone, nothing else. I went the simple way though. Maybe I just need to redo it.

Thanks

Hmm perhaps. I dont want to cause you troubles. I'll be home in a few hours. I'll take a wee look at snowbreeze then and see.

Not sure if it will flash mine tho as it is just stock 3.1.3. without 3.1.2. hashes saved.

But ill give it a blast, I had 3.1.3. hashes on file so I can always downgrade to jailbreak

Yeah I understand. That's so weird that it didn't. I went the expert route this time and was able to select cydia and all of that good stuff, so I'll try restoring it again and see how it goes. I hope I didn't make my phone unjailbreakable.

ok so wait a sec.. when I create the custom .ipsw does Sn0wbreeze save it somewhere ELSE, or does it just replace the one that I select? Because when I went to restore to that custom ipsw, I pointed it to the single file I had.

If Sn0wbreeze saves it somewhere else, I think I just restored to an official ipsw and now I'm screwed.
    Last edited by index; 2010-06-24 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Again I am unsure but I think it just amends the existing file.

Either way you are not screwed because you should have your SHSH saved for 3.1.2. so can always go back and start again.

Yeah that's what I figured, I was able to save the SHSH just before I tried this as well, but I can't seem to figure out how to go back to a previous version, AND now it seems I'm stuck in a recovery loop.

Thanks

Make sure your pointed to saurik's server on iTunes, this will help:

Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik)

Yeah, I did. I added that and still got an error so it got stuck in yet another recovery loop. I'm going to try and do it this way and see if it works.

Downgrade or Restore your iPhone 3GS Firmware using SHSH blob locally (Windows users) | MacHackPC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast