Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreak iOS4 without power button?

Default Jailbreak iOS4 without power button?
    I have had a broken power button on my 3G for a while (water damage, cursed torrential downpour). I have always locked/restarted it by SMBSetting when it was jailbroken on 3.1. Stupidly, I upgraded to iOS4 and realised I can't re-jailbreak as I can't get it into DFU mode.

I have tried other methods listed like running this: http://modmyi.com/forums/general/408...on-broken.html but didn't work (probably due to iOS4?).

So are there any ways for me to jailbreak, or am I stuffed?

Green Apple
    Thanks

old RedSn0w i believe it was will put your phone in DFU automatically

Quote Originally Posted by lbeaumont View Post
    I have had a broken power button on my 3G for a while (water damage, cursed torrential downpour). I have always locked/restarted it by SMBSetting when it was jailbroken on 3.1. Stupidly, I upgraded to iOS4 and realised I can't re-jailbreak as I can't get it into DFU mode.

I have tried other methods listed like running this: http://modmyi.com/forums/general/408...on-broken.html but didn't work (probably due to iOS4?).

So are there any ways for me to jailbreak, or am I stuffed?
    The way I did is is out of luck I guess. I followed all the instructions as well but when PwnTools expected my phone to go to DFU mode it never did.
    What I did exactly is:
    1. Downgraded to 3.1.2 official (Had saved SHSH with Cydia)
    2. Jailbreaked with BlackRa1n
    3. Attempted to restore through iTunes again to 3.1.2 official and at the time the screen turned white (which never happened with any other DFU tool) disconnected the iPhone and reconnected again to restore to custom iOS4 made with PwnTools 4.0.1 (I used a mac to make this since PwnTools is for MAc but now Sn0wBreeze 1.6 for windows is also out so you might be able to make it with that)
    4. I then had to install to Cydia source repo666.ultrasn0w.com and downloaded ultrasn0w 0.9.3 to unlock cause I had No Service although I was factory unlocked (go figure)
    5. Finally I installed iShakeLock to sleep the phone since the power button is broken of course.

P.S. I also read that Sn0wBreeze 1.6 does not require iPhone in DFU mode but Restore mode so that could make things easier for you.

I hope this help you.
    Last edited by maggel; 2010-06-24 at 12:17 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

So strange, what do you do if you phone dies and you accidentally power it off?

Ahh, just remembered, plug it in and it will turn on, clever apple, clever.

Quote Originally Posted by maggel View Post
    The way I did is is out of luck I guess. I followed all the instructions as well but when PwnTools expected my phone to go to DFU mode it never did.
    What I did exactly is:
    1. Downgraded to 3.1.2 official (Had saved SHSH with Cydia)
    2. Jailbreaked with BlackRa1n
    3. Attempted to restore through iTunes again to 3.1.2 official and at the time the screen turned white (which never happened with any other DFU tool) disconnected the iPhone and reconnected again to restore to custom iOS4 made with PwnTools 4.0.1 (I used a mac to make this since PwnTools is for MAc but now Sn0wBreeze 1.6 for windows is also out so you might be able to make it with that)
    4. I then had to install to Cydia source repo666.ultrasn0w.com and downloaded ultrasn0w 0.9.3 to unlock cause I had No Service although I was factory unlocked (go figure)
    5. Finally I installed iShakeLock to sleep the phone since the power button is broken of course.

P.S. I also read that Sn0wBreeze 1.6 does not require iPhone in DFU mode but Restore mode so that could make things easier for you.

I hope this help you.
    I can't get it in to restore mode either :/

If I could, you can only use restore mode with a custom IPSW if it is already jailbroken
    Last edited by lbeaumont; 2010-06-25 at 04:01 AM.