Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3gs 4.0 bricked... (****...)

Exclamation iPhone 3gs 4.0 bricked... (****...)
    Yea so here's what went down... I was on 3.1.3 so i restored it and unjailbroke it and locked it back again. Then I upgraded to 4.0 then i got redsn0w, and downloaded the ipsw whatever file thing and i selected it for use with redsn0w, except it said in redsnow that the ispw wasnt recognized or something so i was like ****... so i took the ispw and restored my iphone with it (note: my iphone was already on 4.0) so then i waited, and waited, and then my iphone had the infamous picture of the cord n itunes disk then the slider (which lead to EMERGENCY CALLS ONLY)... and so i tried restoring it from recovery mode and nothing happened... so am i ****** ( i just bought this from some guy on ebay a couple days ago and he claimed it had applecare but i forget if it really does or not... anyway) yea i spent 400$ and i dont want it to go down the shitter for no reason... thanks for whatever help you can provide.

Thanks

when you get the emergency calls only screen just hook it up with itunes and let it activate it, anytime you restore regardless of the firmware you get the emergency only call screen until you let itunes do it's thing, at least when using official carrier that is

wow you must be freaking out lol, it sucks to think you broke a 400$ device...

but no worries you good, thats what happens everytime you restore

But anyways, just put an AT&T sim into your phone, to get past the activation screen.

you should have done more research before touching anything, because if you did, you would have relized A. 3gs is NOT compatible yet if you used spirit to jailbreak (3.1.3), and B. Redsn0w is NOT made for the 3gs yet, on 4.0. C. There is NO solution for new bootrom 3gs's on 4.0.

So next time, do a little research before you start modifying firmware's on 400$ devices..
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

Exclamation Yea the thing is....
    The thing is... I don't have an at&t sim card... so.... all i have is a t-mobile sim card... so i guess either way im screwed unless a friend loans me their sim card... would that work?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

If you have restored to iOS4 you may be screwed. All I can suggest is attempting to restore to 312 by pointing you hosts to saurik in case you have shsh saved and then JB and unlocking fresh to get onto iOS4 that way. You've kind of shot yourself in the foot by restoring in the first place.

In re of AT&T sim, buy one on ebay for next to nothing to activate it with.

Thanks

yeah, that would work, once activated, jailbreak with spirit and install utrasn0w 0.93 from cydia and unlock it again for use with your t-mobile card...JUST MAKE SURE TO DISABLE 3G IN SETTING/NETWORK, the repo for ultrasn0w in cydia is repo666.ultrasn0w.com
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-06-23 at 07:02 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

tbdsonicx2 (2010-06-23)

Quote Originally Posted by Will01 View Post
    If you have restored to iOS4 you may be screwed. All I can suggest is attempting to restore to 312 by pointing you hosts to saurik in case you have shsh saved and then JB and unlocking fresh to get onto iOS4 that way. You've kind of shot yourself in the foot by restoring in the first place.

In re of AT&T sim, buy one on ebay for next to nothing to activate it with.
    if he was jailbroken on 3.1.3, chances are hes on the newer bootrom, in which case custom ipsw's wont work.

And yes, just take any ATT sim card, throw it in your phone, plug it into itunes, and within 20 seconds you'll be activated and you can give your friend back their sim. (i'd use a dead sim, or an already iPhone plan sim, as if you activate with a non-iphone ATT sim, you have a chance of forcing that account onto an iPhone plan)

EDIT: if the phone was already jailbroken on 3.1.3, chances are it has its SHSH blobs saved for it. You'll need to restore to 3.1.3, using sauriks server. its a little complicated, but just do a little research in the 3gs downgrading section, and read up on http://www.saurik.com/id/12
    then you can jailbreak with spirit and unlock with ultrasn0w. But if you do decide to do this, remember, you'll need a AT&T sim to activate, as spirit doesn't hacktivate. So either find an AT&T sim, or wait a few days
    Last edited by babyblue_pimp; 2010-06-23 at 07:06 PM.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to babyblue_pimp For This Useful Post:

tbdsonicx2 (2010-06-23)

So what program is upcoming that will jailbreak 4.0 for 3gs?

pwnd4life or whatever geohot is working on

and i'm sure dev team will release something too

its just a matter of time, they have to wait until the iPhone 4 is out

12. The Following User Says Thank You to babyblue_pimp For This Useful Post:

tbdsonicx2 (2010-06-23)

Ah ok, so that'll be like next week.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by
    EDIT: if the phone was already jailbroken on 3.1.3, chances are it has its SHSH blobs saved for it. You'll need to restore to 3.1.3, using sauriks server. its a little complicated, but just do a little research in the 3gs downgrading section, and read up on [url=http://www.saurik.com/id/12
    Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik)[/url]
    then you can jailbreak with spirit and unlock with ultrasn0w. But if you do decide to do this, remember, you'll need a AT&T sim to activate, as spirit doesn't hacktivate. So either find an AT&T sim, or wait a few days
    unless comex fixed the issue with spirit and iTunes 9.2 then you will need to uninstall 9.2 and install 9.1, you will need to put the phone in recovery mode or itunes 9.1 will tell you that it's not compatible with that phone because of iOS 4, you will also have to edit your host file to point as saurik's server so that itunes will allow you to restore to 3.1.3 since 4.0 is already out, you will also need quickpwn to get it out of the recovery loop when going from 4.0 back to 3.1.3 because of the baseband difference, here are some instruction that will help (no credit to me for them), before you start on step 1 put the phone in recovery mode and edit your host file to point at saurik's server, and make sure you are on itunes 9.1

The Instructions

omg omg really simple here we go here we go:

0. Zero off, make sure you are trying to get back to 3.0, 3.0.1, 3.1.2, or 3.1.3. You can be at 4.0 trying to go back to 3.1.3, 3.1.2 to 3.0 or whatever. Just make sure the desired firmware you want to go back to is hashed via Cydia.

1. First off, your going to want to download the firmware you want to restore to. All of the firmwares can be downloaded from HERE While it downloads, READ THE REST OF THE TUTORIAL BEFORE GOING ON.

2. Plug in your iDevice. In iTunes, hold shift then click 'restore'. Locate the firmware you just downloaded and let the restore begin.

3. After a bit, you should get error 1015. If you get ANYTHING else, try the process again.

Close iTunes but Leave the iphone plugged in with connect to itunes screen showing.

2. Download this old quickpwn:

QuickPwn.zip

3. Extract Quickpwn (free extractor) BUT DO NOT RUN IT. This is where it can get a bit tricky, so pay attention.

Navigate to:

32-bit windows: C: \Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support

64-bit windows: C: \Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support

You should no see a whole lot of files and folders...good! Now right click and create a new folder called 'bin' (yes no caps, just bin). Drag everything you see in the \Mobile Device Support folder into the bin folder. You should now only have a 'bin' folder in \Mobile Device Support folder. Good! This was done so quickpwn can work with the latest iTunes versions (9+).

4. Run quickpwn. You should get a box saying something like 'your phone needs to be powered on, please hold the home button and sleep\wake button for 15 seconds'. Just do what it says- EXACTLY. When you see the apple logo on your phone, press OK. A blue box will appear after, just press OK to that as well.

5. Your phone should now boot normally. when it does (will be the connect to iTunes screen with emergency calls only screen),CLOSE QUICKPWN, IT IS NOT USED TO JAILBREAK.

6. This step is extremely important if you don't want to re-install iTunes! Remember that bin folder we made? yeah... iTunes wont work right until you undo what we did. So cut everything in the 'bin' folder you put in earlier, place everything back into the \Mobile Device Support folder (where the bin folder is). After everything is back, DELETE the empty bin folder**. Itunes is not happy until the 'bin' gone too! You should now have everything back in the \Mobile Device Support folder and there should be NO bin folder.

** You may need to open task manager [ctrl + alt + del] and end some/all Apple Processes to be able to delete the 'bin' folder. If you do end these processes, restart your computer after deleting the bin folder in order restart them (so your iphone will be able to sync with iTunes etc).

THANKS archaeoman!

7. You are now free to jailbreak.
    Last edited by j3st3r; 2010-06-23 at 07:30 PM.

I have 2 questions (great tutorial by the way) one : my baseband won't change even if i downgrade so how will i jailbreak or unlock it? Two : Where do i find quickpwn for windows on this site? or do i have to google and what version of quickpwn, thanks.

Will a prepaid AT&T SIM work to activate?

Yea it would... why you're having trouble too?

No, no problems yet. I bought a 3GS 16GB from ebay and it was never unlocked or jailbroken. I am doing my homework as I am planning to use spirit to jb and then ultrasn0w to unlock it for my TMOBILE. So I guess I will need to activate the phone using my dead prepaid AT&T sim card. I did not receive the phone yet so I do not know if it is a old or new boot ROM. Hopefully it is old bootROM and it will work as planned.

That's exactly what i did, but unfortanetly i didn't get all my facts straight yesterday and (after i already jailbroke and unlocked it) i got a bogus link which told me how to jailbreak 4.0 and it didnt give me all the info so i upgraded to legit 4.0 and now i cant jailbreak it yet until geohot comes out with a new software.

Thanks

@tbdsonicx2
    if you can restore to 3.1.3 following the instructions I posted then you can jailbreak with spirit and unlock with ultrasn0w 0.93