Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: If you upgraded from 3.1.3 Spirit to iOS4, READ THIS

Default If you upgraded from 3.1.3 Spirit to iOS4, READ THIS
    So here's what I'm trying to find out. Did any of you get stuck in a bootloop or some other problem when attempting this?

Once the update was finished, if you restore your backups, it apparently breaks 3G connectivity. Did anyone experience this?

Share your experiences upgrading to iOS4!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MyWI User For This Useful Post:

kaepora (2010-06-24)

Hi, first post here!

To answer your question no it didn't break my 3g connectivity.

All I did was plug my phone into itunes, hit restore, installed iOS 4 and all is good.

My phone was jailbroken using spirit on 3.1.3 about 3 weeks ago. I read somewhere i can use spirit again to jailbreak iOS4 can anyone confirm?

I did this and had the 3G connectivity issue. Solved problem with a complete restore.

Default Ok here is the fix.
    I had the same problem, I was using Spirit then upgraded and broke it. As of now no fix for Spirit.

To resolve your 3g issue you have to do a factory restore and then restore from a backup. Apparently Apple is having this issue with some phones. Happened to me and the restore fixed it.

Hope this helps.

Spirit (fix this please) miss my jailborken apps.

Last edited by jhllnd; 2010-06-23 at 04:02 AM.

So if my phone was JB using Spirit and I did the update to OS4 I am assuming I have to wait until there is a new fix?

Thanks for all the replies, guys. This thread should be useful to anyone thinking of upgrading to iOS4, or facing issues post-upgrade.

It appears that the best bet is to update your phone, and set it as new. Restoring an old backup into iOS4 seems to screw up phones that aren't even jailbroken.

duh, currently no such thing as spirit jb for ios4. You update then you're SOL.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

First rule of jailbreaking.. when going from one firmware to another you NEVER use the update button as you will lose all the space taken up by Cydia and all cydia apps forever until you restore and wipe the phone.

You'll notice the "other" space in iTunes will be 800MB or more after an "update"... that's 375MB (or so) for iOS 4 and the rest is now all LOST space that used to be all your Cydia apps and themes that is now unrecoverable unless you restore.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 2010-06-23 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

floppy_joe (2010-06-23)

and what's the second rule? don't update unless you have a back up plan, hahhaha...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to silkshocker For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (2010-06-23)

Well I am new to all this **** lol. I just JB it 4 days ago for tethering. So I really didn't have time to read up on the do;'s and donts.

you are lucky..the last time I messed up, I had to wait 4 months to get it JB. 4 freaking months of playing with a stock phone but I learned a lot from the whole JB process. I'm a pro now..hahahhaa

I guess I have to wait now lol live and learn

not for long..i bet someone will release the jb for ios4 by later this week. It took forever for the unlock to come out and it already here before the JB.

iPhone | Redmond Pie
    go to this website. It's very helpful to the noobies
    Last edited by silkshocker; 2010-06-23 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JB using Spirit was easy, hope they release or update that.

if you are looking at the trend then don't hold your breath. It's snowbreeze or the snow folks' turn now. Then it will be GeoHotz next, that's the dude behind blackrain. Spirit is old news. I doubt you will see anything coming from them for awhile.

I had a 3.1.3 3GS jailbroken with spirit that I upgraded simply by pressing / accepting the upgrade prompt within itunes. The upgrade seemed to go perfect until after it was back up. When it was finished upgrading I selected my current iphone profile in itunes when prompted to select it or set up as a new iphone. I did not have any data connectivity but could accept and make phone calls. I was also not able to send mms. I reset my network settings and it did not have any effect, data and mms were still broken. The only thing I did to fix it was redo the 4.0 upgrade and rather then select my old iphone profile I had to set it up as a new iphone. This resolved all issues.

hope this helps anyone having the same issue as I did.

Quote Originally Posted by friscotx View Post
    I had a 3.1.3 3GS jailbroken with spirit that I upgraded simply by pressing / accepting the upgrade prompt within itunes. The upgrade seemed to go perfect until after it was back up. When it was finished upgrading I selected my current iphone profile in itunes when prompted to select it or set up as a new iphone. I did not have any data connectivity but could accept and make phone calls. I was also not able to send mms. I reset my network settings and it did not have any effect, data and mms were still broken. The only thing I did to fix it was redo the 4.0 upgrade and rather then select my old iphone profile I had to set it up as a new iphone. This resolved all issues.

hope this helps anyone having the same issue as I did.
    Did you full restore then restore from backup?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Did you full restore then restore from backup?
    I believe setting up your iPhone as a "new phone" will get rid of any issues but you will lose everything!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast