Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: can MY 3GS be upgraded to 4.0 and jailbroken?

Default can MY 3GS be upgraded to 4.0 and jailbroken?
    3GS on 3.1.3 with firmware 05.12.01 and bootrom 359.3

jailbroken with (i believe) Spirit.

i want to upgrade to 4.0 and jailbreak.. possible with my setup? there are so many diff answers out there with so many diff phones/firmwares/type of jailbreak used etc that i figured id ask for my specific one since i cant find the answer.

where am i looking at in the serial number to see if its above 941

and yes i have a mac

I have the same question, I also have 3GS with OLD bootrom, 3.1.3 version jailbroken with Spirit, but I don't have Mac, only Windows, so is it possible to jailbreak it on iOS 4?

I have the same setup, and i was told no. However i am curious if we were to downgrade back to the original 3.1.3 (via recovery mode) without JB'ing with spirit if this will work.

iPhone? More like MyPhone beav626's Avatar
    Thanks

im on 3.1.2 with a 3Gs ow do I jailbreak and unlock?

same boat.. I have a 3GS with 5.12.01 baseband.. with everything that i have read so far.. we can now unlock 5.12.01 on 3.1.3 BUT there is NO jailbreak for OS4 for 3GS phones on 5.12.01.

this is my understanding so far.. so basically once there is a jailbreak for OS4 for 3GS... then we are good to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by destro23 View Post
    same boat.. I have a 3GS with 5.12.01 baseband.. with everything that i have read so far.. we can now unlock 5.12.01 on 3.1.3 BUT there is NO jailbreak for OS4 for 3GS phones on 5.12.01.

this is my understanding so far.. so basically once there is a jailbreak for OS4 for 3GS... then we are good to upgrade.
    I thought the pwnagetools would will work on 3GS 5.12.01, 3.1.3, however the catch is that we JB with spirit.

Thanks

I did the JB with Blackrain a while back... Pawnage only works with Mac so if youre not a mac you stuck

I don't have a Mac but I have access to one.

I am still confused though about this Old/new bootrom limitation. I was under the impression model number MC meant new bootrom but if so, why was I able to get blackra1n to do an untethered jailbreak? I have 3.1.2 and 05.11.07

basically if you have 5.12.01... then DO NOT upgrade to 4.0.. you can't jailbreak or unlock. ONLY people that have a older 3GS that jailbroke it can go to 4.0.

So i'm stuck on 3.1.3... but at least i can unlock it now!! Back to waiting/praying for a jailbreak

Thanks

I have 5.11.07 Does that mean im good?

Quote Originally Posted by beav626 View Post
    I have 5.11.07 Does that mean im good?
    Yes! BUT there is a VERY specific path that you need to take.. to go to OS4. I'm not sure exactly what it is though.. as i'm pretty new here.