Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Untethering/unlocking a late 3GS model

Default Untethering/unlocking a late 3GS model
    I have a late 3GS model phone currently jailbroken with blackra1n on 3.1.2 firmware. What i'd like to do is Jailbreak it with Spirit so it is not tethered. I also rely on the unlock. Is this possible now that 4.0 has come?

While on 3.1.2 can I use spirit after already using BlackRa1n? Or will this muck things up?

Or is it possible to upgrade to 3.1.3 and unlock now that 4.0 has come? If i alt click and restore to 3.1.3 will that work? or will itunes give me an error. I should be able to use irecovery to take it out of recovery mode if it gets stuck there trying to restore to 3.1.3 i think.

Is 3.1.3 baseband even unlocked? or are we still waiting for the 4.0 unlock? I don't keep up with this as much as I should and I tried searching for a while but couldn't find anyone in this situation. Thanks for the help folks.

I suggest taking a look here

Dev-Team Blog - foursome news

In short, regarding 4.0, there are no untethered jailbreaks for newer bootrom 3GS yet. It is believed either Geohot or spirit will update for 4.0 soon but uncertain and until then all you can do is wait.

I believe recovering the phone via Itunes should give you no errors however this will automatically give you 4.0 (You cannot choose 3.1.3 anymore I think) and no jailbreak or unlock.

It might be possible to update to 3.1.3 using custom firmware and use Spirit to make an untethered jailbreak on your phone however I don't know much about that unfortunately.