Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to prepare for iPhone 4?

Default How to prepare for iPhone 4?
    I have a jailbroken 3GS running 3.1 right now. What should I do to ensure a smooth transition to iPhone 4 with iOS 4?

I was thinking i'd unjailbreak 3GS, upgrade to iOS 4, backup/sync and then restore to iPhone 4. Would this be the best method? If so, how do I go about doing that? I don't mind being unjailbroken for a few weeks or however long it takes for an iOS 4 jailbreak to come out.

Thanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I am having a similar problem. I think I should either restore and set up a new iPod. Then upgrade then restore from a 3.1.3 backup (the right-click on iPod method)but i will upgrade to iOS 4 first and do this later because it will be tedious and kinda terrifying. Yes your method seems fine, but I wanted to take all traces of a jailbreak off because iOS4 will be enough. But if I don't do the method previously stated I will just restore my iPod touch 2g 8gb and say i don't want my personal contacts and photos going around costco.

Does anybody know how I would go about unjailbreaking properly? Without losing all my texts, etc.

Back up then restore

why do you have to update the 3gs to ios4 before backup/sync? why not just backup your current data with firmware 3.1. then when you get your iphone4, just restore from back up. i believe your iphone4 running ios4 will get all the backup info from your 3g that was running 3.1.

doing a backup and restore will remove all traces of JB even if it was done with spirit?

Quote Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
    why do you have to update the 3gs to ios4 before backup/sync? why not just backup your current data with firmware 3.1. then when you get your iphone4, just restore from back up. i believe your iphone4 running ios4 will get all the backup info from your 3g that was running 3.1.
    Last time I restored from a backup, some JB remnants were still there. How do I make sure it's all gone?