Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbroken and thinking about going iOS4

Default Jailbroken and thinking about going iOS4
    iPhone 3GS, 3.1.3, jailbroken with Spirit. I have no idea about baseband/bootrom but as far as I know (and being that I'm a noob in the jailbreaking scene, I don't know a whole lot) that relates to unlocking the phone, correct? I don't need to unlock my phone, so that shouldn't be a concern. Is that right?

Anyway, iOS4 comes out tomorrow and as probably a few of you, I'm a little worried about what to do. Now, there probably won't be an iOS4 jailbreak for a few days, but once it's out, what would be the standard operation procedures? Restore then upgrade? Or is a restore not necessary?

And for the matter, has there been official confirmation on the situation with Spirit jailbreak and iTunes 9.2? Last I heard, you could upgrade iTunes fine if you're already jailbroken, but you can't try to use Spirit once iTunes 9.2 is installed.

What's the score right now?

I would also like to know what the best approach would be to go from spirit jailbreak 3.1.3 to 4.0.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Wait until a new jailbreak is released, then choose the 'restore' option in iTunes. Then jailbreak with the new tool.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    Wait until a new jailbreak is released, then choose the 'restore' option in iTunes. Then jailbreak with the new tool.
    So my best bet is to stay on iTunes 9.1 until then?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Well, you'll need iTunes 9.2 to install iOS4 so you'll have to go there eventually.

Well, you'll need iTunes 9.2 to install iOS4 so you'll have to go there eventually.
    I figured I needed to stay in iTunes 9.1 so I could use it to restore my jailbroken phone. I was under the impression iTunes 9.2 wreaks havoc with Spirited iPhones.

That's the problem, I've been hearing so many conflicting reports...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MyWI User View Post
    I figured I needed to stay in iTunes 9.1 so I could use it to restore my jailbroken phone. I was under the impression iTunes 9.2 wreaks havoc with Spirited iPhones.

That's the problem, I've been hearing so many conflicting reports...
    iTunes 9.2 doesn't mess with the restore process. It just prevents you from using Spirit on an unjailbroken phone. For you, it's no problem going to 9.2 unless you plan on restoring to 3.1.3 and running Spirit on it again, which there'd be no reason to as you already have a functioning jailbroken phone.

You will need iTunes 9.2 when you do decide to go to iOS4 so you'll have to upgrade sooner or later. When you do that is really up to you. It won't make a difference on your current or future jailbreaks (unless you for some reason should want to run Spirit again).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

MyWI User (2010-06-22)

iTunes 9.2 doesn't mess with the restore process. It just prevents you from using Spirit on an unjailbroken phone. For you, it's no problem going to 9.2 unless you plan on restoring to 3.1.3 and running Spirit on it again, which there'd be no reason to as you already have a functioning jailbroken phone.

You will need iTunes 9.2 when you do decide to go to iOS4 so you'll have to upgrade sooner or later. When you do that is really up to you. It won't make a difference on your current or future jailbreaks (unless you for some reason should want to run Spirit again).
    I see. Thank you!

Now the biggest issue is - how to go about upgrading this phone? A lot of people are reporting that they are unable to restore, which means (apparently) that Apple has stopped signing the 3.1.3 firmware.

So should I simply upgrade straight up without restoring...? I'm terrible afraid of screwing up this phone. If I already had the iPhone 4 in my hands I wouldn't care so much, but we have no idea when it comes out in Canada...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I see. Thank you!

Now the biggest issue is - how to go about upgrading this phone? A lot of people are reporting that they are unable to restore, which means (apparently) that Apple has stopped signing the 3.1.3 firmware.

So should I simply upgrade straight up without restoring...? I'm terrible afraid of screwing up this phone. If I already had the iPhone 4 in my hands I wouldn't care so much, but we have no idea when it comes out in Canada...
    Once there's a jailbreak for iOS4, you should just choose the 'restore' option in iTunes (by then, you have to use iTunes 9.2). You use the 'restore' option instead of the 'upgrade' option because not doing so can cause problems on the new version (battery drainage, apps behaving weirdly etc.). Do wait for the new jailbreak to be released though, as going to iOS4 right now would just mean you had no way to jailbreak it.

If you haven't yet, you should read a little about SHSH and how you go about saving them. You can use this site or google for that. A good place to start would be looking at the firmware umbrella site. It's a very nice tool for saving the files as well as uploading/downloading them to/from Cydia. You can find that here: The Firmware Umbrella

Once there's a jailbreak for iOS4, you should just choose the 'restore' option in iTunes (by then, you have to use iTunes 9.2). You use the 'restore' option instead of the 'upgrade' option because not doing so can cause problems on the new version (battery drainage, apps behaving weirdly etc.). Do wait for the new jailbreak to be released though, as going to iOS4 right now would just mean you had no way to jailbreak it.

If you haven't yet, you should read a little about SHSH and how you go about saving them. You can use this site or google for that. A good place to start would be looking at the firmware umbrella site. It's a very nice tool for saving the files as well as uploading/downloading them to/from Cydia. You can find that here: The Firmware Umbrella
    See, just this morning I finally decided to click that "Make my life easier" button in Cydia - not knowing exactly what it was, I had decided to leave it alone. Until now, but I'm not sure if it's relevant now.

Jailbreaking has proven to be more of a bother than it's worth. I jailbroke my iPhone 3GS solely to use MyWi, as my user name indicates, but I'm unsure if I'll do it again in the future. It's just too many uncertainties...

What's really troublesome are the reports coming in about not being able to restore the phone. I've read a few here, and on twitter.

I'm thinking I'll leave my 3.1.3 3GS as is, buy the iPhone 4 eventually, and set it up as a new phone just in case (I've heard of jailbreak remnants being carried over during a backup, so I rather be safe than sorry), then revert this 3GS to factory settings and give it to my fiancee.

Hopefully that will work.
    Last edited by MyWI User; 2010-06-22 at 03:20 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It's not really a hassle once you know what it's all about. The reason people can't restore is because Apple stopped signing those specific versions. It has nothing to do with whether the phone is jailbroken or not.

It's not really a hassle once you know what it's all about. The reason people can't restore is because Apple stopped signing those specific versions. It has nothing to do with whether the phone is jailbroken or not.
    So my choice is to just update straight from 3.1.3 Spirit to iOS4?

I've heard people having some 3G issues after doing that, but it was apparently related to restoring the unjailbroken phone from a jailbroken backup. Since I'll be setting that phone as new, I shouldn't have any problems?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

So my choice is to just update straight from 3.1.3 Spirit to iOS4?

I've heard people having some 3G issues after doing that, but it was apparently related to restoring the unjailbroken phone from a jailbroken backup. Since I'll be setting that phone as new, I shouldn't have any problems?
    'Restore' straight to iOS4, yes, but not until a jailbreak has been released. Pwnagetool/sn0wbreeze doesn't work for your phone so you'll need to wait until a real jailbreak is released for the new bootrom 3GS.

I can see now why this all might seem confusing but it's really not bad once you learn the differences between custom firmwares and regular jailbreak tools.

About losing connectivity, it's always a good idea to set up as new phone when moving from jailbreak to jailbreak.