Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Confused About Going from 3.0.1 to iOS 4

Default Confused About Going from 3.0.1 to iOS 4
    Planning ahead and a bit confused since I've only jail broken my phone once. Got my iphone back in August 2009 and jail broke it shortly thereafter using redsnow if I recall correctly. It is not unlocked and I don't need it to be unlocked.

I've been at OS version 3.01 (7A400) since then and was always worried I'd mess my jailbreak up so I never updated the OS. But, I'd like to upgrade to iOS 4 when the official release comes out and then jailbreak my iphone again.

I'm pretty confused with the different options now being mentioned pwnage, spirit, redsnow, etc. I guess my biggest question is, once the official release of iOS 4 comes out, would I simply update the iphone via iTunes and then just jailbreak the phone with the appropriate program or do I need to update to a newer OS first.

Probably a dumb question, sorry. I've read numerous posts but most people have the latest OS so I don't know if the advice given to them applies to me as well.

Thanks

how you update is really up to you, if you want to go the official route since you don't need an unlock then that's fine, you can always use custom firmwares since they will preserve your baseband which is a plus if you want to eventually sell it since unlockable phones are worth more, just make sure before you update that you sync with itunes so that when you update you set the phone up as new and not restore from backup, since it's already jailbroken it is never recommended to restore from a backup since they can sometimes contain leftover stuff from the jailbreak and can cause problems (not always but just what i have read from numerous people on here that are far smarter than i)

Thanks. I'm going to continue to try to learn the best method but as you mentioned, keeping the phone unlockable will help the resale value when I do sell it.

In reviewing other threads for info I saw you respond to many other folks and I just wanted to say I found some of those responses helpful also. Much appreciate you willingness to help.

Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r3 View Post
    how you update is really up to you, if you want to go the official route since you don't need an unlock then that's fine, you can always use custom firmwares since they will preserve your baseband which is a plus if you want to eventually sell it since unlockable phones are worth more, just make sure before you update that you sync with itunes so that when you update you set the phone up as new and not restore from backup, since it's already jailbroken it is never recommended to restore from a backup since they can sometimes contain leftover stuff from the jailbreak and can cause problems (not always but just what i have read from numerous people on here that are far smarter than i)
    I've always restored from backups and never had a problem. From what I know the only things that are synced is Messages, Phone numbers, settings and apps