Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tried everything - iPhone 3G Jailbreak won't work

Default Tried everything - iPhone 3G Jailbreak won't work
    I have been trying to jailbreak my iPhone for the last three days and I feel like I've tried everything. To preface:

Bought it from a friend - I'm with Tmobile and don't have an ATT sim card. Did a forced restore (by holding home while turning on) and tried to load a custom 3.1.3 activated firmware which gave me a 1604 error. Found out how to turn on DFU and tried again with same firmware and it gave me a 1600 error. Found iReb to try and circumvent the 16xx codes and it won't work at all. Then tried to roll back to 3.1.2 and got a 1015 error. The only thing I have gotten to work is reinstalling normal 3.1.3. Absolutely nothing seems to happen when I am in DFU mode and only errors happen in restore mode (other than normal 3.1.3).

If it matters I am on "iBoot 596.24". I have tried to figure out my baseband, but there seems to be no way without going through the iPhone.

What am I missing? I am beyond frustrated and would be eternally grateful if someone can help me figure this out.

Thanks in advance

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

What kind of iPhone is it?

Brain is fried - obviously. iPhone 3G

Bartle, you are blessing to me, I am having the same issues, but my numbers are 3.1.3 5.12 and 6 something..... on a 3g that was made in early 2009... not sure how I found out all that info lol reading too much and achieving too little. f0recast helped me alot in finding the phone numbers that people are asking for though...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Shudonen For This Useful Post:

bartlebee (2010-06-19)

Thanks for the tip Shudonen. I just loaded f0recast and it says I am running 5.12.01 baseband and 6.2 bootloader. It also says it is jailbreakable, but not unlockable. Does this mean even if I get it jailbroken I won't be able to unlock it for Tmobile?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Correct, but there should be a new unlock coming soon. Perhaps this month.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

bartlebee (2010-06-19)

Thanks

It has to have the 5.8 bootloader for fuzzyband to be able to downgrade it

10. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

bartlebee (2010-06-19)

Sorry... only three days into this process so I want to clarify. That means that there is not a way to roll back my bootloader to a point where it would become unlockable, correct?

Thanks

That is correct, but as blkcadi said there may possibly be an unlock this month so be patient and it will come before you know it

Thanks for all the help. At least I can rest easy tonight knowing it wasn't me (wish I would have asked two days ago). Any recommendations on what site I should keep an eye on for that unlock? Thanks again!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bartlebee For This Useful Post:

Shudonen (2010-06-20)

Thanks

no better place than here

16. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

Shudonen (2010-06-20)

One last question. While I wait for the 6.2 downgrade to become available can't I still jailbreak my phone and mess around with apps at least? Might as well use it somehow until I can get the actual phone working. If I can jailbreak, what should I use?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bartlebee For This Useful Post:

Shudonen (2010-06-20)

check here this is where he helped me

FYI, I jailbroke using Pwnage tool (Spirit didn't work for me) and I decided to try Ultrasn0w to unlock the phone. It worked!!!! So despite f0recast saying 6.2 isn't unlockable, my iphone is now unlocked and working great with Tmobile.

Thanks for everyone's help

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Just to clarify, 6.02 is a bootloader. Unlocks are based on the baseband which currently, all basebands are unlockable. Bootloader 5.9+ cannot downgrade basebands to unlock (before, the new unlock renders that aspect irrelevant as of right now).

Your bootloader cant downgrade basebands to unlock if needed. Your baseband is currently unlockable. Thats why ultrasn0w worked.

Also, Spirit only works with an activated phone. This means you need the phone's official carrier's SIM to activate then run Spirit. Thats why you had to use another method, such as PwnageTool.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-06-27 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Is it just me or is this unlock/jailbreak stuff absolutely confusing... probably just me. Annie, I would like the newest update and the new pwnage tool allows for that. Based on my situation that is clear from this post would you recommend doing that upgrade with pwnage or should I wait a while? Thanks

what is a good method to un jb and the re jb to get away from spirit? everything I see paints spirit in a bad light.....3.1.3 5.12.01 6.4 MC135 i had to use spirit before because nothing else would work, not even blackra1n or pwnage tool

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Bartlebee, if youre on a 3G phone you can stay where you are or upgrade to iOS 4 if youd like. You can jailbreak with Redsn0w and unlock with Ultrasn0w.

I have a 3G and I have not upgraded to iOS 4. The reason being some tweaks I must have on my phone doesnt work on iOS 4. I already multitask without iOS 4, I dont need a camera zoom, and I could care less for a wallpaper either so it doesnt bother me too much to stay on 3.1.3.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

bartlebee (2010-06-27)

Shudoden - I tried pwnage tool several times before I was able to make it work. For me I had multiple different .ipsw packages that I had downloaded from different sites. Finally, downloading a clean 3.1.3 and trying it, it worked.

Annie - since I am new to the iphone thing and don't have any of those features I will probably upgrade. Thanks for your help!

Shudoden - I have been trying to upgrade to 4.0 software for the last couple of hours. When I started with the method I used with the custom .ipsw I made with pwnage tool for 3.1.3 (which worked perfect before) it gave me my nemesis error 1600 over and over again. I started searching fixes for the 1600 error and found the instructions below from dev team which worked perfect. Be sure to follow step by step. The directory mentioned already existed on mine and contained a file which deleted. Let me know how it goes.

open a terminal window
    type the following:

sudo mkdir /Library/iTunes/"Device Support"

Note that the quotation marks are very important!

If that directory already exists, navigate to it and delete the contents.

Now run PwnageTool again and rebuild your ipsw.

Follow all the directions (remember to hold Alt/option when clicking Restore!) and you should be on your way. Good luck!
    Last edited by bartlebee; 2010-06-27 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost