Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: removing all cydia sources

Default removing all cydia sources
    hi all,

im having issues attempting to install and remove sources from cydia. ive searched forums and found that bad URLs are usually the cause of this and also read up on how to remove the bad URL..

id rather start fresh with cydia. is there an easy way to remove all the sources associated with cydia and start again adding only what i want? and is there a continually updated repo list with trusted repos? ive found a couple but it seems like the repos are no longer in use.. after i attempt to add them i get the message "repository not found" and ive copied them letter for letter.

thanks

p.s cydia is having issues refreshing sources and showing what new packages are installed.. another reason why id like to start it fresh and only add repos i know to be trusted.
    Last edited by Nightrage; 2010-06-14 at 02:26 PM. Reason: more information

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I'd restore and set up the phone as new and rejailbreak. That's just me. I hate the hassle of going in circles, I'd rather just wipe the phone clean.

If that's not the case, the default sources on Cydia I don't think you can remove them. Perhaps you should look into using Cyfix for those broken links?

http://xsell ize.com/topic/61938-cyfix-v14c-gui-fixes-cydias-corrupted-repo-errors/

Mind you, you should add the xSellize repo to download Cyfix and don't forget to download mobile terminal.

Pay attention to the above link the user "joemontana" has posted in that thread on how to change permissions via mobile terminal. To run Cyfix after doing so, in the next line simply enter "cyfix" without the quotes one more time. It will install then prompt you for the URL you want to remove. This will also remove sources your don't want. For instance, if you entered "apt.modmyi.com" it will remove the entire source. Be careful though. I only use this to remove bad links and not entire sources. You could potentially mess Cydia up and have to restore the phone anyway.

Just go to Cydia and write down all the bad URL's within the errors you are getting and enter them through mobile terminal while running Cyfix.

(The above provided link, remove that space i put in so the link would show up)

Sorry for the external link though, I couldn't find a better guide.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-06-14 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thank you!

I'll try all of that when I get home from work tonight. I do have xsellize and will try cyfix. Hopefully I ca remove the bad sources and be able to use cydia the way it's meant to be used again.

Thanks again for the help.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Let me know how it goes

I spent a little bit of time removing sources etc last night and cydia is running better but still hangs when adding sources and whm it refreshes packages it doesn't seem to ever finish... I left it for about 30 mins or so lastnight and it still hadn't finished refreshing. I'll have another look tonight asi didn't have alot of time last night. And i've also been trying to find a working big boss source and i4iphones source without any luck.. Thanks

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I really think you should restore and rejailbreak if you can...

From past experience, having Cydia problems is hard to fix. I always just get fed up and restore, thats just me tho. Good luck to you...

I was thinking the same thing... Just restore and that will sort out the issues. All I need to do is backup my Cydia packages, right? I'll sync b4 I restore so everything is backed up that isn't cydia related and I have Pkgbackup. Anything else that I should o before restoring? You've been alot of help, I appreciate it!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

See here is the problem with your plan...

Youre gonna have to set your phone up as new. This means pkgbackup or any Cydia backups will be useless. They only work if you restore from back up thru itunes. This shouldnt happen because you want Cydia to be cleared out and start clean.

You just have to take the hit and write down your Cydia apps an redownload them.

Using Pkgbackup restores what Cydia was before your entire phone restore, so what was the point of it?

Bottom line, just restore the phone clean and set up as new and redownload all Cydia items.

As for your regular app store apps, just sync them to the computer and after the restore, resync to put them back on.