Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading to iOS4 when released

Default Upgrading to iOS4 when released
    Hey guys! I have a quick question about upgrading my 3gS to the new iOS4 when it is released to the public. I have looked everywhere for an answer and cant find it. Also, if this is a stupid question, please don't flame me. I have always been a Blackberry hacker and just recently had the guts to jailbreak my iphone and am loving it and kicking myself for not doing it sooner. Anyways, I jailbroke my 3gS with Spirit with my firmware being at 3.1.3. When the official iOS4 is released, can i just plug into iTunes and upgrade with no problems or do I have to restore to stock 3.1.3 first, or is there some other special way to do it? I know the devs already have a jailbreak for the new OS so I'm not worried about momentarily losing my jailbreak. Thanks in advance! Your help is greatly appreciated.

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

Your best bet would be to restore to new before doing the upgrade just to avoid any unforeseen issues.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

When you update the os through iTunes it will restore your phone back to factory then install the new os. Once that is done you will need to jailbreak again. I suggest setting up as "new phone" instead of using a backup.