Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T added data plan without our permission

Default AT&T added data plan without our permission
    Okay guys. I just found this out.

we have five lines, 3 of which are jailbroken, unlocked iphone (3g, 3.1.2). Data to and from all phones (including the ones that are not iphones) has been locked 2 years ago since we signed up with AT&T.

yesterday, i noticed an "E" next to the carrier name on my iphone. My brother noticed the samething, but my sister's phone does not have it listed.

Today, we were looking at our bill and we found out that $30 were charged to each line that had the iphone, for a total of $90. Again, we do not have a data plan and this has never been an issue before but now after this "E"...i dunno why our phones that are unlocked and jailbroken are having this problem and we are getting charged.

please help. we all switched over to our sony ericsson w580i.

i want my iphone back :-(

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Sorry, AT&T is being aggressive with this, though I thought they had been doing it for months. It's not limited to the iPhone though, as Blackberrys and other smartphones get data added virtually the minute you put your sim card into it. It seems to have avoided some lesser known smartphones as I know users that are still using odd smartphones (from out of the US or otherwise relatively rare) with the $10/15 medianet.

The only work around I know of is to spoof the IMEI of an iPhone 2G and block data (or use a medianet plan) but this is limited to the 2G only and the legality is questionable at best, which is why you won't find tutorials on mmi.

EDIT: FYI, jailbroken and unlocked does not prevent them from seeing what kind of phone you are using. If they see an iPhone, automatic data plan, so questions.
    Last edited by z6joker9; 2010-06-09 at 08:10 AM.

I'm confused why you're asking here as opposed to calling AT&T customer service?

Quote Originally Posted by Fastfirward View Post
    I'm confused why you're asking here as opposed to calling AT&T customer service?
    i cant really call them and say, "hey, ive had a jailbroken, unlocked iphone for almost 2 years and i have not been charged for a data plan, yet why have you started charging my now?"

i dont think so.

Quote Originally Posted by prncess23 View Post
    i cant really call them and say, "hey, ive had a jailbroken, unlocked iphone for almost 2 years and i have not been charged for a data plan, yet why have you started charging my now?"

i dont think so.
    So AT&T automatically charges iPhone users for a data plan and jailbreaking and/or unlocking is the only way to get out of that? I'm a T-Mobile customer myself so I'm a little lost I guess.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

AT&T doesn't have to know that your phone is jailbroken/unlocked. You just ask them why you suddenly started getting charged.

Download something in cydia that blocks the date i forgot what its called and then call them to change the data plans
    "Answering 1 Question at a Time."

iPhone 4: 32GB iOS 4.1 JB
    MacBook Pro 13.3": 2.26ghz/4GB/160GB SL 10.6.5
    iMac 21.5": 3.06ghz/4GB/500GB SL 10.6.5

The "E" as in EDGE?

Can somebody help, I just recieved that text message this morning. I been had my iphone for a year, and now they add data plan... not too happy with ATT right now

"An eligible data plan for iPhone is required. If AT&T determines that you are using an iPhone on your account without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill the appropriate monthly fee."

Like it or not you agreed to this by using an iPhone on AT&T's network.

Yes I believe in the iPhone contract that if you have a iPhone on AT&T account they are allowed to add data plan to the account. So only way around it is to
    spoof the emei or whatever it's called.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

You have just been lucky is all. It states very clearly in their TOS that all iPhones require the data package. My question is: do blackberrys get their data plan forced on them too?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

All smartphones are required to have a data plan on ATT. So I would guess yes.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Same thing happened to my gf. I called att, they credited me back the charges. It's kind of confused, att is wrong if the phone was bought as listed price without data plan, or used.one that is no longer required data plan?
    Give att a hard time, the wont dare to do it again
    Good luck

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dtsexpert View Post
    Same thing happened to my gf. I called att, they credited me back the charges. It's kind of confused, att is wrong if the phone was bought as listed price without data plan, or used.one that is no longer required data plan?
    Give att a hard time, the wont dare to do it again
    Good luck
    While I agree that this is how they should function, they have been adding data plans to all smartphones connected to the network regardless of status of contract or price/source of the smartphone. They change their ToS regarding this a few months ago, and there were lots of discussions on it. I don't know how their new data plans will affect this clause.

AT&T system uses software commonly referred to as a "Sweeper" which basically scans its customer accounts database and it is able to determine based on IMEI numbers which phones are AT&T branded smartphones (including Iphones) and if it sees that the account does not have a smartphone data plan but the IMEI shows a smartphone is bring used, it will automatically add the appropriate data plan based on whether its an iphone, blackberry or other smartphone.

The "Sweeper" can detect what IMEI is being used on each line of a customer's account regardless of what IMEI is associated to the lines. So if your account shows an IMEI for a RAZR but you are using an Iphone, the system can see that you are really using an iphone and not a RAZR. Once you put a sim card in another phone within a few minutes it will start transmitting the IMEI number to the system and will continue to do so everytime you use your phone.

there really is no way around not having to pay for data. If you use a smartphone on AT&T (or any other major carrier for that matter) you are required to have the appropriate data plan on your account.The carriers were tired of customers calling in angry that their bills were so high because they claimed they did not know or flat out denied they were doing things like checking email or surfing the net or downloading ringtones, etc..... which use data so they put an end to by simply saying if you have a smartphone, you will pay for data regardless of whether you want to or not. If you sign an agreement with the carrier for a smartphone, the contract will have a clause that basically says you are REQUIRED to have a data plan.

We have 5 phones with family plan of 2100 min, one of them is with data plan plus family unlimited texting plan, monthly payment is more than $200. I called att asking why they added dataplan to my gf phone without letting us know, att rep said that they were making mistake, credit us back all the charges. Not sure if we have family plan so they are easy with us.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    You have just been lucky is all. It states very clearly in their TOS that all iPhones require the data package. My question is: do blackberrys get their data plan forced on them too?
    Yeap . BB too,, as soon as you put your sim in BB next day.. you'll have your dataplan added

19. The Following User Says Thank You to eortizr For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (2010-06-11)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you for the response

Livin the iPhone Life wannabprogramma's Avatar
    Thanks

hmm well i guess we've been very lucky...somehow I've had an iPhone for 2 years and never had a data plan and never been charged...i have since done the same for 3 phones for my family (we're all on the same family plan) and no one's been charged yet...for about 5 months.... I guess we're really lucky or doing something right...my dad did get a email saying that the phone (***)888-8888 was using an unofficial iPhone data plan for my brother once cause he accidentaly tried to go online but they still didn't add any charges...
    The Next Generation of Phreaks.