Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 1604 Error when Restoring Custom iOS 4 Firmware on 3GS

Default 1604 Error when Restoring Custom iOS 4 Firmware on 3GS
    Hi, I've made a Custom Firmware to restore to my 3GS using pwnagetool and a Macbook Pro.

I've put the phone into DFU mode and connected it to itunes and shift-clicked to select the firmware. Now after its extracted the software itunes just sits there for about 10 mins then throws a 1604 error up.

How can I get past this, thanks

Im using the files from Stealthbravo's website too and I have iTunes 9.2 beta installed and have patched the Cydia from redsn0w.

Kevin

You seem to have (like me) a 3GS with the new bootrom. Those ones can't retore custom firmwares through iTunes. We'll have to wait for a new version of Spirit
    Last edited by Will™; 2010-06-08 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Yea, I think Stealthbravo told me this on IRC earlier. Will just have to wait..

I think this will allow you to restore in this situation?
    Or am I wrong?

posixninja's idevicerestore at master - GitHub

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

If you can get to 3.1.2, do it and jailbreak it with anything other than spirit. Then you should be able to restore to a custom firmware

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

He must have the newbootrom, so custom firmware will definitely not work for him and that explains why he is getting error 16xx..

My 3Gs is a original one I got at launch ...but I updated the firmware to 4.0GM....did that make the Bootrom change?

Thanks

nope

alright, so stealth, I downgraded to 3.1.2 successfully, used rslite to get past the 1015, jailbroke it with blackrain, now should I be able to install a custom 3.1.2 firmware?

EDIT: Installed custom 3.1.2 firmware successfully, created the custom 4.0 firmware, gets to the "restoring iphone software" part of the restore and hangs up at about 90%. WTF? Any ideas?
    Last edited by mtwiford; 2010-06-10 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

......epic

Thanks

does it error?

nope just hangs up and does nothing. I left it alone for 30min and it stayed in the same spot the whole time

wow now it does the same thing no matter what firmware i try to upgrade to, is there anything I can try stealth?
    Last edited by mtwiford; 2010-06-10 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

......epic

Thanks

^ Thats pretty much the way to do it. You can use blackra1n or irecovery to get out of the 1015

I have a 3GS thats on iOS 4 baseband 05.13.04 and the old bootrom and I put "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com" at the end of the "host" file using smultron. But when I try restoring it to 3.1.2 using itunes it gives me a "the iphone could not be restored.This device isn't eligible for the requested build. Did i miss a step somewhere? I read through the whole forum and I still dont get what i did wrong.
    I used spirit on 3.1.3 before, is that the problem?

appreciate any help.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Did you have your shsh saved?

No I didnt.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

If you didn't have shsh saved that is why it won't restore. It must be saved to do so.

Also, on idevicerestore which is a linux build, I don't see any point where you direct it to saurik during compile and install? Does it get round the shsh thing? Or is it pointed to saurik at source?

If I was to do idevicerestore -c 3GS 312 Firmware

would it error without shsh?