Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreaking for first time, need some help

Default Jailbreaking for first time, need some help
    My apologizes in advance for noob like questions, but I'm rather particular about how I care for my phone. I'm very pleased with my iphone 3Gs, but have obviously grown tired of it's excessively plain interface. So, I want to jailbreak.

I've posted a few threads on here asking specific questions about my phone and have learned it can be jailbroken using spirit. I researched this a bit further myself and learned I should back up my contacts, photos, shsh blobs etc.

I also found a step by step guide on how to jailbreak using spirit (I know these things aren't too difficult, I just want to be careful).

So, once I back up all of my files, and jailbreak my phone there are still a few questions that remain.

1. Once I jailbreak, can I upgrade to 4.0 once it is released, or should I simply wait for 4.0 to come out, then jailbreak?

2. Can I restore my phone back to the factory settings if I have issues?

3. Are the apps obtained through cydia stable? I have read a lot of threads about successful jailbreaks thwarted by apps after the fact.

These are major concerns for me, as I have never done anything like this before. Although all is supposed to run quite smoothly, I have had terrible tech experiences in the past and fear the worst. I know a lot of this is quite easy to understand for a lot of you so any help would be wonderful. Thanks a lot.

Here's my phones info...

3GS
    MC
    Last edited by DoubleM24; 2010-06-07 at 06:28 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleM24 View Post
    My apologizes in advance for noob like questions, but I'm rather particular about how I care for my phone. I'm very pleased with my iphone 3Gs, but have obviously grown tired of it's excessively plain interface. So, I want to jailbreak.

I've posted a few threads on here asking specific questions about my phone and have learned it can be jailbroken using spirit. I researched this a bit further myself and learned I should back up my contacts, photos, shsh blobs etc.

I also found a step by step guide on how to jailbreak using spirit (I know these things aren't too difficult, I just want to be careful).

So, once I back up all of my files, and jailbreak my phone there are still a few questions that remain.

1. Once I jailbreak, can I upgrade to 4.0 once it is released, or should I simply wait for 4.0 to come out, then jailbreak?

2. Can I restore my phone back to the factory settings if I have issues?

3. Are the apps obtained through cydia stable? I have read a lot of threads about successful jailbreaks thwarted by apps after the fact.

These are major concerns for me, as I have never done anything like this before. Although all is supposed to run quite smoothly, I have had terrible tech experiences in the past and fear the worst. I know a lot of this is quite easy to understand for a lot of you so any help would be wonderful. Thanks a lot.

Here's my phones info...

3GS
    MC
    You can use Spirit with no problem. It is super simple. I had to set the compatibility mode to Windows 95, but that was the only catch.

You can not only move up to 4.0 when it comes out but you can also move up to a jailbroken 4.0.

You can always return to a stock firmware through iTunes. A few of the jailbreaks actually require it(like Spirit). So if you ever have to send your phone in for servicing just restore it via iTunes.

The Cydia devs are very quick to release updates for bug fixes in their apps. The fixes are pushed out faster than actual App Store releases. I have has a few issues before, but it definitely beats having a plain jane phone.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

DoubleM24 (2010-06-08)

Thanks a lot for the response Chaos, you're definitely making me feel more confident in jailbreaking.

I'm using windows xp, do I still need to adjust the compatibility mode to 98 or 95?

Secondly, do I need to completely restore my phone? It's never been jailbroken before, so it still has all of it's factory defaults.

One thing that concerns me very much, is the idea that I might not be able to trouble shoot my issues, should they arrise, and that I will be permanently stuck with something that doesn't work. Is there really a reason to be so concerned with things like this?

Lastly, did all of the steps I profiled above seem in order? Or is there some other tid bits I should know?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Thanks

These days Spirit comes with the checkbox for compatibility on, so you don't need to do anything before running. I do recommend using AutoSHSH to back up your SHSH before jailbreaking, the whole process takes a few minutes but the tool does require Java to be installed (nothing big).

I have done about 5 phones now (friends and relatives) and never had a single problem, there's only one button to press.

You can get AutoSHSH from ih8sn0w's site, wich is found:
    iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones

Enjoy!

Oh and it's pretty much impossible to screw up the phone. I have deleted every single file on the thing and was always able to restore the firmware, though I don't recommend doing it. Just saying that in the worst case scenario, you simply hook it up to iTunes and restore to the default firmware.

You can even sync with iTunes afterwards and nothing bad will happen. Hold off on any updates that are released until the community tells you otherwise though.
    Last edited by Akamir; 2010-06-08 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Akamir For This Useful Post:

DoubleM24 (2010-06-08)

Thanks Akamir, do I still need to put Spirit into compatibility mode with windows 98 if I'm running xp?

And if I do the shsh blob back up does it completely wipe all of my files and settings, photos and contacts off of my phone? And if so, how do I get them back? I backed up my phone earlier today, but don't know how to access the info they hold.
    Last edited by DoubleM24; 2010-06-08 at 05:24 AM.

Thanks

No backing up your SHSH does not wipe your iPhone, it merely creates a seperate .shsh file that you can use in the future to restore back to your current firmware version. It's a good common practise to do this because it ensures you always have a jailbreak for your device.

I don't think you need to fiddle around with any compatibility settings. It should work perfectly fine out of the box. Worst case scenario is a red error popup box that says it failed, in wich case you can set it to Win98 compatibility and try again.