Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SOLUTION: How to update iPhone 3GS to 3.1.3 firmware without baseband

Arrow SOLUTION: How to update iPhone 3GS to 3.1.3 firmware without baseband
    Hi Everyone. This is my first (good) post ever.
    I thought I'd share this with you after a full day of trial and error.
    A LOT OF THIS INFO IS NOT DISCOVERED BY ME, SO NO CREDITS TO ME. Credits go to users: dtube (hackint0sh) and zq_sting (gsmhosting).
    English is not my native language so I may slip some errors.

Background:

Two months ago I bought one iPhone 3GS 32 GB white. I had it unlocked (don't remember what I used back then) and then jailbroken using Geohot's Blackra1n. As some of you know, everytime you turn off the 3GS with the NEW bootloader or run out of battery, you must connect the phone to the computer and run Geohot's Blackra1n, otherwise the phone stays in recovery mode (itunes cd and usb cable on screen, no bar at the top of the screen and no slider at the bottom of the screen). So, I have tried to avoid running out of battery or restarting.
    Sometime ago, some updates popped up on cydia and without investigating what those updates where, i clicked to update everything that cydia was recommending.
    A few of days later I had to restart the phone and something strange happened, Geohot's Blackra1n wouldn't work.
    This is how it looked like.
    I connected the phone as usual, started Blackra1n, pushed 'make it ra1n' button, Geohot's picture popped on the display stayed for a few seconds (shorter than usual), than I would see the screen of the iphone go black, a usb disconnected sound coming from the PC, and geohot's blackra1n telling me that everything went well, when it obviously didn't.
    No matter how many times i've tried I couldn't get the phone working.

================================================== ==================================================
    Here's more info about my iphone when I bought it:
    iphone 3gs 32gb
    firmware: 3.1.2
    baseband: 5.11.07
    NEW bootrom 6.4 (model MC134NF/A, week 44/2009) (meaning you can't flash ANY custom firmware)
    NO SHSH saved (meaning that restoring to 3.1.2 or lower is IMPOSSIBLE)

ADVICE: visit this link How to Save Your SHSH Blobs with AutoSHSH
    and save your SHSH for firmware 3.1.3. after you get your phone working again.
    you'll never know when you'll need it.

PLEASE NOTE THAT IF YOUR FIRMWARE AND/OR BASEBAND VERSIONS DIFFER FROM MINE, NONE OF THIS WILL WORK, SO GO LOOK FOR A DIFFERENT SOLUTION.
    ================================================== ==================================================

At this moment I was willing to try ANYTHING just to see my phone working again.

What I've tried and DIDN'T work:
    -flashing custom firmware (because of the new bootrom)
    -restoring firmware 3.1.2 from itunes (shift click on restore) , because I had no SHSH saved. This SHSH isn't something stored in your phone so unless you saved it from cydia/saurik's server sometime before february 2010 (when apple dropped support for 3.1.2), you'll NEVER be able to get it again.
    -redsn0w 0.9.3, 0.9.4
    -iREB 3.1.2
    -a lot more.... n00bish things.

So I chose to risk and upgrade to firmware 3.1.3 while KEEPING my baseband 5.11.07.

================================================== =============
    METHOD 1. (USING ORIGINAL CARRIER SIM CARD, WORKED 100% FOR ME)
    (credits to dtube and zq_sting)
    ================================================== =============

WARNING:
    YOU ARE GOING TO NEED ONE SIM CARD COMING FROM THE ORIGINAL CARRIER THAT THE PHONE WAS LOCKED TO WHEN YOU BOUGHT IT. IF YOU DON'T HAVE ONE, READ METHOD 2 (UNTESTED BY ME).

E.G. My iphone was bought from ORANGE FRANCE, and was LOCKED TO THIS CARRIER.
    I took the phone to my home country (NOT FRANCE), unlocked the iphone and used with a different local carrier.
    So i had to borrow (for only 5 minutes) a ORANGE FRANCE prepaid card, from somebody I found on the internet.

So this is how I did it:

1. download the custom firmware 3.1.3 with the new EVIL baseband REMOVED.
    (NO CUSTOM FIRMWARE LINKS.)
    extract using password hehe
    you will have this new file : "iPhone2,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw"

2. connect iphone (which is in recovery mode) to computer and start itunes.

3. hold shift and click Restore in itunes, select "iPhone2,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw" and continue

4. the firmware will start to update on the phone and after a while you'll get ERROR 6. This is OK.

5. close itunes and download irecovery:
    RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting
    extract and run from commandline
    irecovery.exe -s
    run these commands in irecovery (press enter after each line):

setenv auto-boot true
    saveenv
    reboot
    /exit

6. you should now see the iphone in the EMERGENCY CALL ONLY state, you now have the top bar and the bottom slider.

7. insert ORIGINAL CARRIER SIM in iphone, connect to computer, start iTunes and Activate.
    you should now see the iphone home screen with the default applications installed.

8. close itunes, disconnect phone. remove ORIGINAL CARRIER SIM.

9. reconnect iphone, close itunes if opened and download SPIRIT
    Spirit.com
    Extract archive, run "Spirit Fixer v1.01.exe" to fix compatibility issues with itunes

10. iphone should now be in emergency call mode, run spirit, press JAILBREAK, wait

11. my phone froze after this and I had to close it by holding home and power keys. i then powered
    back on, iphone went to emergency call mode and i did step 10 again.

12. everything went well now and I could see CYDIA installed on the second screen.

13. put your sim card in the phone

14. start cydia, choose developer, let it update important components,
    add the following source to cydia Cydia.pushfix.info

15. install from cydia ' blacksn0w RC2 ', wait, power off then on

16. iphone has local carrier signal. make a test call.

17. Phone restarts WITHOUT going in recovery mode.

================================================== ======
    METHOD 2. (NO ORIGINAL CARRIER SIM CARD NEEDED, UNTESTED BY ME)
    (credits to dtube and zq_sting)
    ================================================== ======

1. download the custom firmware 3.1.3 with the new EVIL baseband REMOVED.
    (NO CUSTOM FIRMWARE LINKS)
    extract using password hehe
    you will have this new file : "iPhone2,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw"

2. connect iphone (which is in recovery mode) to computer and start itunes.

3. hold shift and click Restore in itunes, select "iPhone2,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw" and continue

4. the firmware will start to update on the phone and after a while you'll get ERROR 6. This is OK.

5. close itunes and download irecovery:
    RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting
    extract and run from commandline
    irecovery.exe -s
    run these commands in irecovery (press enter after each line):

setenv auto-boot true
    saveenv
    reboot
    /exit

6. you should now see the iphone in the EMERGENCY CALL ONLY state, you now have the top bar and the bottom slider.

7. start blackra1n and press 'make it rain'

8. start blackra1n AGAIN and press 'make it rain'

9. put your sim card in the phone

10. start cydia, choose developer, let it update important components,
    add the following source to cydia Cydia.pushfix.info

11. install from cydia ' blacksn0w RC2 ', wait, power off then on

12. iphone has local carrier signal. make a test call.

13. Phone still goes in recovery mode on restart, but can be fixed using blackra1n.

14. CAUTION: AFTER COMPLETING METHOD 2, NEVER RUN SPIRIT ON YOUR IPHONE OR YOU'LL BREAK IT AGAIN (that's because of blackra1n already present on the phone)

DISCLAIMER:
    I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE REGARDING WHAT YOU DO WITH THE INFO I HAVE POSTED, SO DON'T COME CRYING IF ANYTHING GOES VERY WRONG.
    I HAVE RECOVERED MY IPHONE USING METHOD 1, BUT I DID NOT TEST METHOD 2 ALTOUGH I READ MANY REPORTS THAT SAY IT IS ALSO WORKING.

If I have violated any forum rules, admins delete/edit my post.

TAGS: How to update iPhone 3GS to 3.1.3 while keeping 3.1.2. baseband
    How to update iPhone 3GS to 3.1.3 without baseband
    Recover iPhone 3GS from boot loop
    Recover iPhone 3GS from black screen after jailbreak.
    Last edited by Cer0; 2010-06-07 at 12:03 AM. Reason: refining

You're one lucky genius. I bow to you! Your guide was very simple and easy to understand. I was able to fix my endless recovery mode loop. I hope this will help all others suffering from this problem. Thanks a LOT!!! Do you accept donations?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Please do not link custom firmware. Also lead people to official sites for free software. No need for rapidshare free things like spirit.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

@iphone3gs313. no thank you. I'm glad you've fixed your phone.
    Too bad the admins deleted my firmware.

I got a question for you

I only manage to get to the irecovery part.

When i try to run irecovery.exe it states that a file is missing "readline5.dll" which i copied from the downloaded file and pasted into system32, but then when i go to open irecovery.exe after making changes it just opens and closes quickly i cant even type in anything.

This happens on both my desktop and laptop computers which are running Windows.

Any clue on how to fix this?

you must install LibUsb-Win32.
    Here is a link to it Browse libusb-win32 Files on SourceForge.net
    File name is libusb-win32-filter-bin-1.1.14.0.exe
    Last edited by alpinemobile; 2010-06-07 at 08:59 PM.

^^ You understood me wrong but i found a solution to it.

The problem now is that i get ENDLESS SEARCHING for a network when i install Blacksn0w rc2.

****!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EuroDub View Post
    ^^ You understood me wrong but i found a solution to it.

The problem now is that i get ENDLESS SEARCHING for a network when i install Blacksn0w rc2.

****!
    Have you tried manually flashing your BB, read this > http://extechblog.wordpress.com/2010...file-solution/
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-06-08 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    I was looking at that last night and came up stumped at the OpenSSH.

I got mobileterminal on the phone and iphonebrowser on the laptop but i am unsure what to do with the baseband updated files.

Could you explain that process for me if you know how?

TIA

EDIT:

After countless hours of searching, trial and error and sweat i finally got my phone working again.

Ive been without my iphone since march if i recall correctly. At times i had no clue what in the world i was doing but in the end it seemed to work. I must say that i learned alot about Command Prompt and how it needs to be operated in, in order for it to work.
    Last edited by EuroDub; 2010-06-08 at 07:46 PM.

has anybody tested the method 2? - will that work?

Only use this method if you meet *all* of these requirements:

■Using an iPhone 3GS; and
    ■No 3.1.2 SHSH blobs on file with Cydia (or locally on your computer); and
    ■You've never updated or restored (or bought your iPhone with) stock 3.1.3 before; and
    ■Have access to a SIM card that will allow your iPhone 3GS to activate through iTunes. This is an important requirement because if you don't meet it then this method is pointless since you won't be able to use the Spirit JB. Note that you'll only need this SIM card to activate the iPhone before running Spirit, and you don't need to keep it after that.
    ■You're currently in a reboot loop or stuck in recovery mode. If you're not, and if the only thing you're trying to do is switch to an untethered jailbreak, then please reconsider what you're about to do. (You may want to leave well enough alone for now.)
    ■Please consider this method a “last-ditch” way to undo your previous mistake only.
    What is the method

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vikod View Post
    has anybody tested the method 2? - will that work?
    This method will work if you can get into Recovery Mode and Not DFU mode. I have seen cases whereby Iphones cannot get out of DFU mode and is Black all the time.

Exclamation my unlocked 3GS is stuck in recovery mode
    Quote Originally Posted by moartea View Post
    Only use this method if you meet *all* of these requirements:

■Using an iPhone 3GS; and
    ■No 3.1.2 SHSH blobs on file with Cydia (or locally on your computer); and
    ■You've never updated or restored (or bought your iPhone with) stock 3.1.3 before; and
    ■Have access to a SIM card that will allow your iPhone 3GS to activate through iTunes. This is an important requirement because if you don't meet it then this method is pointless since you won't be able to use the Spirit JB. Note that you'll only need this SIM card to activate the iPhone before running Spirit, and you don't need to keep it after that.
    ■You're currently in a reboot loop or stuck in recovery mode. If you're not, and if the only thing you're trying to do is switch to an untethered jailbreak, then please reconsider what you're about to do. (You may want to leave well enough alone for now.)
    ■Please consider this method a “last-ditch” way to undo your previous mistake only.
    What is the method
    Hi, thanks everyone for such valuable advice! I meet all of these requirements. My phone has been stuck in recovery mode for 3 days after I tried to reset network settings, and I tried everything - from running Blackra1n overnight to trying to restore custom 3.1.2. Nothing worked. Do you think this method described above is my last resort? How do I make sure the baseband doesn't get upgraded to 5.12.01 and I will still be able to unlock the phone to use it with T-mobile?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tatusikus View Post
    Hi, thanks everyone for such valuable advice! I meet all of these requirements. My phone has been stuck in recovery mode for 3 days after I tried to reset network settings, and I tried everything - from running Blackra1n overnight to trying to restore custom 3.1.2. Nothing worked. Do you think this method described above is my last resort? How do I make sure the baseband doesn't get upgraded to 5.12.01 and I will still be able to unlock the phone to use it with T-mobile?
    Have you read this link yet ? Read this : http://wikee.iphwn.org/howto:removellb
    it explains everything you need to know.

where can i download this custom firmware 3.1.3 with the new EVIL baseband REMOVED? please help!

yewo202, thanks for yoru reply and the link. unfortunately, the steps how to modify IPSW are SO confusing to me! I know nothing about these command prompts, etc. I was hoping I could just download this file already modified.
    Last edited by tatusikus; 2010-06-10 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost