Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help upgrading, keeping unlock...

Default Help upgrading, keeping unlock...
    I've got a 3G on 3.0 & 04.26.08, and it's jail broken. There are a number of apps I'd like but they require 3.1.2.

I'm on a PC... Right now there's so much info I don't know where to begin, or who's programs to use.

How can I safely upgrade to 3.1.2 with the jailbreak and the ability to unlock?

Thanks

Hi guys!

I'm sorry if it is a silly questions, but I'd rather be silly than loose everything on my iphone.

Here is my question:

I have an iPhone 3GS on 3.0, which was the FW I bought it with.
    I did the jailbreak and unlock last year and haven't done any upgrading ever since because I was happy with the 3.0. But now, most of the apps require the 3.1 and I want to upgrade and still maintain the jailbreak. If it is possible to keep the unlock as well, it would be helpful, but not essential!

When I go to iTunes, it says that a new update is available, which is the 3.1.3.

How do I upgrade from the native 3.0 straight to the 3.1.3 (or even the 3.1.2 would be fine) and jailbreak it after without loosing all my cydia apps?

I appreciate any help, and again, sorry if it is a silly question! :-)

Thanks

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Click on the link above that cerote provided.

You will lose all your jailbreak stuff. Back it up with AptBackup.

Shift+Restore to stock 3.1.2 ipsw. Then follow the above guide.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-05-26 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hi, Anniex423!

Thank you very much for letting me know there is a way out!

Could you possibly elaborate it a little bit more?
    What do I do first and how do I do the Shift+Restore thing?

Thanks a lot!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Sorry, I didnt see you have a 3GS. You need your SHSH files backed up to restore.

You should use Sn0wbreeze to create a custom firmware for 3.1.2 then use that to get your phone up to date.

That portion Im not familiar with, as I dont really do 3GS phones. Thats the best I can tell you.

Edit^ for 3.1.3 or 3.1.2, either one you want.

You really should take a look at that guide that Cerote provided. It has the answers to all your questions.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-05-27 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

ysis (2010-05-27)

Anniex423, when I open Cydia it says on the top: "This device has ShShs on file for Iphone OS: 3.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3.

Is that what you mean by having my SHSH files backed up?

Thanks for all your help!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Thats really good news then. I dont know where to go from there tho lol, I dont know 3GS very well. There are lots of threads here tho you should look up. Utilizing the SHSH files to restore your phone to 3.1.3.

Is there similar tool to use for Ubuntu? Just got rid of MS last night. If not, I guess I can always use someone else's PC.

Thanks

Since the 3gs is already jailbroken you can make and instal a custom firmware with either sn0wbreeze(windows) or pwnage tool(mac). There's now need to worry about shsh files for the firmware you want to install since a custom fw bypasses the verification part of the restore process. It is however a good idea to have those shsh files backed up for every fw that you do install incase there's ever a need to downgrade.