Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: what to do first?

Default what to do first?
    OK, so I have successfully jailbroken a few iTouches, thanks to all of you here. Now I have purchased a used iPhone 2Gwith 3.0 firmware (I will upgrade to 3.1.3, it should be here in a few days.

I have read and understand the guide on how to jailbreak and unlock the 2G iPhone with 3.1.3 already installed. My questions have to do with activation, SIM card installation and my carrier.

I use Consumer Cellular for my carrier and have a sim card in my free POS Motorola phone they gave me when I signed up with them.

Will I need to activate the iPhone with CC before I can use it?

Do I insert the SIM card before or after unlocking?

Does it need to have a SIM card in it at all for the unlock procedure?

My guess is I can jailbreak/unlock with the SIM slot empty (I am hoping this process also activates the phone), then install my CC SIM card and voila! I have an iPhone that will work on my existing plan. Unfortunately, my life experiences tell me most things are NOT this easy!

EDITS: I originally typed that I was buying a 3G iPhone. It is 2G.
    Thanks
    Last edited by jimmsch; 2010-05-22 at 06:10 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

All you need to do (dont matter if your SIM is in or not) plug into comp and thru iTunes hit upgrade (yes to 3.1.3).

Download the 3.1.2 (yes I said 3.1.2 not 3.1.3) ipsw from the downloads section here on MMi. Proceed to download Redsn0w 0.9.4 (Google it, you will find it).

After your upgrade is finished, run Redsn0w on the phone (point at the 3.1.2 ipsw when it asks for you to select it). DO NOT USE 3.1.3 IPSW IT WILL NOT WORK.

Select Unlock, Cydia, and whatever else you want except for "already pwned". Then proceed and follow the directions. You will be jailbroken and unlocked after that.

Pop in your SIM if it isnt already in and test it out.

Thanks so much for the timely reply. You have answered my questions regarding the SIM, and I believe, maybe something in life might really be that simple!!

So then I assume the redsnow jailbreak/unlock also handles the activation?

I cannot wait for the phone to arrive!

Thanks again Annie

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

2G phones are just that easy nowadays

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If you have a Mac, Pwnage will do it all in one pass for both stock and prior-jb'd 2G iPhones.

Unfortunately...no Mac here.