Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Small Problem.

Default Small Problem.
    Well hey guys im kinda new to this forum.

I have successfully jailbroken my iphone once before but now that i am trying to upgrade some people say that it upgrades the baseband or something and that you wont be able to unlock it. I am using an iphone 2g and the current software version is 3.0 i've been wanting to maybe go to 3.1.3 or just something that is more advanced seeing as some apps i want dont seem to work with the 3.0 firmware. So i'm just trying to find a safe way to upgrade while maintaining the unlock. Also does anyone know a good way to back-up all my stuff? or will i have to re-dl it?

Thanks alot in advance. I really appreciate your help.

Could someone please help me out??

Thanks

You can upgrade to any firmware you want with a 2g iPhone. They are completely unlockable. It's the 3g and 3gs phone that pose a problem with the baseband.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jkmonkey For This Useful Post:

pattdogg (2010-05-23)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Cydia apps- Back up with AptBackup or PkgBackup (sp?)

Regular apps- sync with iTunes

6. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

pattdogg (2010-05-29)

Ohhk thanks alot guys. Just doublechecking, is upgrading it the same method as when i first jailbroke it? or is it easier\faster upgrading? Cheers

anyone lol? sorry if its a stupid questions ^^

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You just plug it into itunes and hit upgrade. You dont need to do shift+restore or anything just do the upgrade.

Jailbreak and unlock it with redsn0w 0.9.4. You will need to download 3.1.2 ipsw to use redsn0w (not 3.1.3 ipsw even though thats what youre upgrading to).

If you need the bootloaders 3.9 and 4.6 binary files, simply google them (making sure if you have windows you add in your search "for windows").

Btw MMS doesnt work on 2G phones on 3.1.3 (well it does with some manual SSHing but its pretty complicated stuff) so if you need MMS go only up to 3.1.2.

You may do so by using a 3.1.2 ipsw and hitting shift+restore and selecting 3.1.2 ipsw.

Redsn0w will still use the 3.1.2 ipsw when you upgrade to 3.1.2.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-05-28 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

10. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

pattdogg (2010-05-29)