Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is your iphone secure enough?

Wink Is your iphone secure enough?
    Hey guys..

I have jailbroken my iphone twice.. first with blackra1n, second with spirit..

anyways..

when I first jailbroke it , I didn't change the root password..
    so I think someone could get my email passwords..
    anyways, I changed it now as I jailbroke it with spirit, I use firewall ip too..

so is this enough to be sure that my iphone is secure now ?

how do you keep your iphones secure ?

after installing mobile terminal, I didn't reboot, so the changes didn't take palce.. 3 days after that I checked the password again , and found out that it was "alpine" , so I changed it, and was wondering if my iphone was in risk thu **sigh**

thanks in advance..
    Last edited by BELLISSIMA; 2010-05-19 at 10:25 AM.

Thanks

* open mobile terminal
    * At that prompt, type: passwd
    * You’ll be prompted for the ‘old’ (current) password for the mobile user. Enter this as the old password: alpine
    * You’ll then be prompted to enter the new password – so just type in your desired new password. Use good password principles if possible (long and stong). You will not see characters appearing on the screen as you type – that’s normal, not a concern.
    * You’ll then be prompted to re-enter the new password. Do that.
    * You should then be returned to the Mobile$ prompt that you started on when opening the MobileTerminal app. There’s no success message to say the password was changed – but if you’re returned to the prompt and do not get an error, the change was successful. And you’re done with change for the mobile account.
    * The second primary admin account for the iPhone is called root – so now you need to change that as well.
    * Type this to switch to the root user: login root
    * You’ll be prompted for the root user’s current password. Enter this: alpine
    * Type this to start the password change routine again: passwd
    * Enter the old password for root (it is ‘alpine’, same as for the mobile user) and enter your desired new password twice, just as you did for the mobile account

Done. No reboot required

you can also turn off SSH when your not using it.
    Last edited by jkmonkey; 2010-05-19 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jkmonkey For This Useful Post:

BELLISSIMA (2010-05-19)

hey , thanks I already know how to do these things..

my question was : how do you keep your iphone secure?

are there more things that u need to use other than changing the root passwd + using a firewall ?

Thanks

Those two things should keep you fairly secure. Only posted that cause you said you did change the password, but it reverted back to default. The only thing that should change the password back to default is a restore. You want to make sure you also change both the root and the mobile password.

thank you pretty much jkmonkey..

you helped me a lot..