Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Returning iPhone quesTion

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Returning iPhone quesTion
    Im swapping out a 3gs due to light leaking through the ear speaker and the glass making a clicking noise when pressed.

Its jailbroken and i know restoring to a new device wipes the jb.

This time with this phone i changed the dialer not through themes and winterboard but through ssh.
    I replaced the default dialer.

Will a restore put it back to apples dialer?

Also is apple still signing 3.1.3?

iPhone? More like MyPhone apummell's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes restore as new though!

Thanks

Just got back from the apple store.

The first refurb they gave me, once i got to my car i noticed 6 large specks of dust under the screen. I took it back in and the technician told me that dust is normal, and he would replace it one more time for the dust reason. He didnt seem to care that i walked out of the store 3 minutes earlier.

The next refurb i received seemed okay in the store, once i got it in the sun light i did notice 3 small specks of dust under the screen right in the center. I decided to deal with it.

Well i just got the phone home and noticed a Hot/dead pixel. Bright white dot when against a black background.

Im not finished with apple yet. For $600 i deserve a perfect lcd screen.
    I cant see myself buying another iDevice after all this frustration.

Has anyone gotten a perfect iphone? This **** is crazy.

The guy said dust is to be expected, and i quote "you need a case that covers the headphone port, and dock port or you will get dust under the screen".

Am i wrong or is a light wave smaller than a dust particle. If dust can get in through those orifices then light should be shining through.

Im very unhappy right now. it sucks i have over a year left on contract.

Does anyone know if i cancel my ATT contract if im allowed to keep the iphone? Of course after paying the cancellation fee.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Um that's stupid. I don't have anything under my screen. If I did, I'd be highly frustrated. I have had my phone for over a year and a half and the screen is still spotless. And yeah if you cancel your contract, you can keep the phone (and of course paying the fee).

Thanks

i might cancel ATT and keep the phone. The early termination fee is much less than retail value of the iphone. Ill sell the iphone to offset cancellation fee, and purchase a diff phone. This really sucks because i like having a jailbroken iphone.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Why don't you sell your phone and get another?

Another iPhone I mean
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-05-18 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Dust can get under the screen, but that doesn't mean it SHOULD be there. I had a few specks under the glass on mine. I took it to the Apple store to see if anything could be done, and they took it in back, when he came back out the dust was gone. I can only assume he lifted the screen an blew it out with compressed air. It took all of about two minutes to get fixed. As for the white pixel, it's stuck not dead. If I'm not mistaken there's an app you can use to try to fix that. I flashes random light patterns on the screen to unstick it.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Oh yeah ^^ I think it's pixel fixer??

Thanks

i ran pixel fix app from cydia pixel checker.

I ran it for 30 min and pressed the screen.

Are you sure white is stuck? I know the usual black pixel is dead, but this is white and did nothing when i pressed it.

I pressed hard enough to ghost the liquid over the white pixel and nothing changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Why don't you sell your phone and get another?

Another iPhone I mean
    Ive had 5 iphone 3Gs's

Every phone has had a problem. This dust/white pixel is a first though.

Poor build quality, and worse quality control.

Ive still got 160 days of applecare left. Driving 120 miles round trip to the apple store, taking off of work to wait for fed-ex (fed-ex is almost as far as applestore)because they need a signature. All this is getting old.

Oh and I tried to do the advanced replacement this evening after returning from the applestore, and they said my debit/credit card wouldnt go through and the network was fine. Same card i used a month and a half ago, and there is a ton of money on it.

Im gonna try running the pixelfixer for longer. So many apps ill miss if i have to change.
    Last edited by dr0herb; 2010-05-18 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

dust is a defect. i got my phone replaced because of it. the seal under the glass should be airtight.

Thanks

its okay i filed a complaint against the technician. Dust is not normal and they are sending me another replacement.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Thats really good. Glad you didnt get screwed over

Thanks

I just noticed something about all the iphone 3gs's within reach..

Every one leaks light from right side of the ear speaker, and directly below the ear speaker.

Put the phone under your shirt and cover up the screen leaving the upper black panel exposed. Try and cover up all light emitting from the phone screen. You will see the light.

Light also shines through the headphone jack slightly. Not the dock port though. Dock port is light-tight.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

no light shining through on my 3gs at all!

Thanks

Dont be so sure about that. Its not something thats easy to see. And if you are able to see it you need to be in a pitch black room. Sometimes i cant even see it and i know its there.

First of all brightness needs to be cranked. Then you need to be in complete darkness with your phone.
    Then you need to completely cover the LCD only not the black bars on top/bottom.
    Ive checked 6 iphone 3gs's all ages ranging from almost a year old to 1 week old. Every one has the same light leak pattern. If you say yours doesnt have it you just cant see it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I guess if you try hard enough to find an imperfection, you always ALWAYS will! Are you in a dark room with your phone looking for issues often? If I can't see it, then it doesn't exist, right?

Thanks

Ok so I just checked my phone in a pitch dark room with the brightness all the way up and flashlight from cydia turned on. I didn't see any light leaking from the earpiece speaker or anywhere else. What I did see was light being transmitted through the glass and out the edge where it's cut out for the speaker, which I don't think you could prevent without painting that edge of glass black, or bending the laws of particle physics :P Is this what your seeing, light coming from the edge of glass where it's cut for the speaker hole?