Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreak and unlock iphone 3G 3.0.1

Default Jailbreak and unlock iphone 3G 3.0.1
    Hi,
    I just bought this phone and I would like to jailbreak
    and unlock it to use with T-mobile. I'm new at this. This is
    first attempt to unlock a phone. Should I upgrade to a new software version or leave it like it is before I jailbeak it?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Andrew

Anyone??
    Last edited by vualac; 2010-05-17 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

You can either jb and unlock using the firmware your currently on or you can upgrade to 3.1.2 if you'd like before doing it. Do not upgrade to 3.1.3 because that will upgrade the baseband to 05.12.01 which is currently not unlockable. Some 3g phone can be downgraded from that baseband, but it's best to stay away from it in the first place.

i also have an iphone with OS 3.0.1. I cannot figure out how to jailbreak the iphone without updating to the most recent OS (3.1.3). If you could explain this process, I would be most grateful. Thanks in advance!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Download 3.1.2 ipsw from the "Downloads" section here.

Press Shift+Restore (Option+Restore on a Mac) and restore to the ipsw you want.

After that has finished...if you chose to get 3.1.2 get Blackra1n.
    If you downloaded Blackra1n, run it on the phone. When finished, access the springboard and open Blackra1n--install Cydia (RockApp is optional really) and Blacksn0w for the unlock.

Note: If you want to stay on 3.0.1 (some apps require 3.1.2 and up so you might want to upgrade), you can jailbreak that with Redsn0w as well and unlock it with ultrasn0w. With Redsn0w you will use the 3.0 ipsw.

Firstly, thank you for responding so quickly!
    I dont think I understand what you're saying. If i download 3.1.2, how can I use it to restore my iPhone? I thought that Apple stops signing older OS versions and then they can't be used? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm very new at this. I would appreciate it if you could help me out. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

That only goes for 3GS iPhones. You say yours is 3G so they don't have the hardware security that the 3GSs have.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

oh i apologize for not specifying. my phone is actually 3G[S]. so is there any way i can jailbreak without updating to latest version or is there no hope for me?
    Thanks!