Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Trying to jailbreak and unlock 3G for a friend... Fail! Help please!

Unhappy Trying to jailbreak and unlock 3G for a friend... Fail! Help please!
    I've jailbroken my 1G, 3G and 3GS before, but this one got the best of me. Please bare with me and read carefully.

A friend just got a hand-me-down non-jailbroken AT&T-locked 3G and asked me to unlock it for her, as she wants to use it with her T-Mobile account. The phone is already on 3.1.3, baseband 05.12.01. (Darn!)

I've had better success with custom IPSW's in the past and figured I'd do the same. However, I think this is where I screwed up. I picked the activated variant (since she wants to take the iPhone to another carrier), but I don't have her T-Mobile SIM, only my AT&T SIM. The ROM installed successfully, activated successfully and, apparently, jailbroke (sp?) successfully, but I have no internet access (although I have the AT&T and 3G icons). I even connected to my WiFi network and still get no internet.

After that, I have used:
    - Spirit (latest version) -- It all seems to run smoothly, but still no internet connection
    - redsnow 0.9.4 -- Same
    - sn0wbreeze 1.5.2 (for 3.1.3) -- I cannot restore using the custom IPSW it creates because iTunes gives me error 1600.

I have tried flashing other custom IPSW's and they all give me error 1600. The only IPSW that doesn't is Apple's original 3.1.3, but I obviously don't want to stay there. I read in several places that the iREB tool is used to clear this and other restore errors, but, after following the instructions carefully several times, I never get any white or red screen, just black.

So I have no internet access (probably because I initially flashed the wrong custom IPSW), so I can't download anything from Cydia. I also can't flash any other custom IPSW, because iTunes gives me an error.

I don't know where to go from here. Not only can't my friend use her new 3G on T-Mobile; she also can't use it on AT&T anymore after I tried "fixing" it. I just made it worse.

Please advise. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Razor1973; 2010-05-17 at 03:21 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Download a stock (not custom) 3.1.3 ipsw and shift+restore to it. I don't see why it shouldn't fix it.

Or try 3.1.2 stock ipsw and jailbreak it with Blackra1n. Blacksn0w is included if an unlock is necessary.

Just don't use custom firmwares, they cause some problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Download a stock (not custom) 3.1.3 ipsw and shift+restore to it. I don't see why it shouldn't fix it.
    You probably missed that part from my post. That's the only IPSW I can flash, but what good is it to me? The phone ends up not jailbroken and not activated, correct? I'd have to jailbreak at that point. I understand Spirit is the only tool that jailbreaks bootloader 05.12.1? However, Spirit requires an activated device (as per instructions on their home page spiritjb.com). That's why I am stuck. Something I'm not seeing here?

Or try 3.1.2 stock ipsw and jailbreak it with Blackra1n. Blacksn0w is included if an unlock is necessary.
    I'm already on 3.1.3. My understanding is I can't downgrade. iTunes doesn't let you. Wrong?

Thanks for the feedback.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I think you're not understanding a lot of things.
    1) You should be able to shift+restore to ANY IPSW if it's a 3G phone. Restoring to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 to a STOCK ipsw is fully possible and will work.
    2) Since it's already upgraded, the BASEBAND (not bootloader) 5.12.01 is completely not unlockable. You may see if the BOOTLOADER is 5.08 by downloading Fuzzyband from Cydia. If it is, you may downgrade the baseband to unlock the phone. If it is NOT 5.08, you CANNOT downgrade the baseband to unlock.
    3) With a 3G, even being on 3.1.3, you may downgrade to 3.1.2 by doing a shift+restore to it. Though that is pretty pointless considering the baseband is already upgraded.
    4) When successfully restoring to 3.1.3, Redsn0w will work fine on the STOCK fw. Redsn0w 0.9.4 that is.
    5) If successfully restored to 3.1.2, Blackra1n is the fastest option to jailbreak.
    6) An unlock is expected to be released next month. The priority here right now is to jailbreak the 3G at least.

It's an iPhone 3G, it's easy to do. It's not complicated like a 3GS. Don't get bootloaders and basebands mixed up, and don't get 3GS capabilities vs 3G capabilities mixed up. It'll get you real confused.

Note: Spirit does not jailbreak "bootloaders" or "basebands", it jailbreaks FIRMWARE 3.1.3 only. Redsn0w will also jailbreak 3.1.3. Spirit was released mainly for an untethered jailbreak for 3GS phones on firmware 3.1.3. Redsn0w will work well for 2G and 3G phones.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-05-17 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Razor1973 (2010-05-17)

Thanks so much for your very informative reply and taking the time to help. Yes, I meant baseband, not bootloader, but I do get those mixed. Here, this is my config, according to f0recast:

I guess that means I have no choice but to wait for the next unlocking solution and my friend will not be able to use her new 3G on T-Mobile until then.

Regarding the jailbreak, I tried what you suggested before and I tried it again after I read your message. I just restored Apple's official 3.1.3 IPSW and then used redsn0w 0.9.4. Same result. The phone looks jailbroken and has the Cydia icon, but I cannot connect to the internet, either through GPRS (even though I get the AT&T and 3G icons) or WiFi (even though I successfully connect to my network). I get the typical "You are not subscribed to a cellular data service" message. If I take the SIM card out and put it in my 3GS, I am good to go, so both the SIM and the account are good.

What do you suggest? Should I restore Apple's official 3.1.2 IPSW and use blackra1n instead? I have a feeling my results will be similar.

Thanks again.

EDIT:

Whoah! Wait. Just after I posted that, I restarted the phone and tried again. Nothing. Poking around in the settings, I went to General > Network and disabled 3G and opened Safari again and finally got a connection! I went back to the settings, re-enabled 3G and I still have a connection. Is this something you've heard before? Again, I already tried redsn0w right after an official restore before and could never get a connection. Weird, weird, weird.

So no luck on the unlock, right?
    Last edited by Razor1973; 2010-05-17 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You can get service with an official sim just fine, just not from non-official carriers.

There's no reason to go up and down in firmware versions. Just restore to stock 3.1.3 and jailbreak with Spirit or redsn0w 0.9.2

6) An unlock is expected to be released next month. The priority here right now is to jailbreak the 3G at least.
    Almost 2 months later... Has this happened yet?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Yes its happened already

Yes its happened already
    Would you be kind enough to point me to the right thread. I guess I don't know exactly what I'm looking for, cause I scanned the first page and none of the titles rang a bell.

Thanks

install ultrasn0w from cydia to unlock the phone

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah, tmobiles 3G is not compatible with the iPhone. It has to stay off to get Internet with tmobile.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsufan51 View Post
    Yeah, tmobiles 3G is not compatible with the iPhone. It has to stay off to get Internet with tmobile.
    correct, turn off 3g for use on tmobile

Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r3 View Post
    install ultrasn0w from cydia to unlock the phone
    Done all that. Ultrasn0w installed and asked me to reboot the phone. Any way to know whether I'm unlocked other than popping a TMo SIM in there? I don't have one and my friend isn't around. I am just trying not to get her hopes up and having her drive here without certainty.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It should be unlocked. I don't think there is anyway to know for sure without a sim. Just make sure you turn off 3G before you activate it with the tmobile sim.

Quote Originally Posted by lsufan51 View Post
    It should be unlocked. I don't think there is anyway to know for sure without a sim. Just make sure you turn off 3G before you activate it with the tmobile sim.
    Got it. Yes, I did that too.

Thanks everyone.