Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrade Advice

Default Upgrade Advice
    Hello all,

I have some quick questions as to what my upgrade options are.

I'm currently using an iphone 3gs with 3.0.1 (7A400) firmware with AT&T "carrier" version 6.0 and Modem Firmware 4.26.08.

I originally jailbroke with Redsnow 0.8 for Windows on Vista from back in the day.

I want to upgrade to at least 3.1.2 because the T-Pain app is only usable on 3.1.2 and beyond (they updated something and as far as I know there's no way to rollback to the 3.0.1 usable version of the app, yes this seems kind of frivolous).

I was wondering what my various/best upgrade options are. I'm kind of wary since I'm able to tether with my current version and would like to have the option to later.

Thanks in advance.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Well, if you're on AT&T you won't need the unlock right? You can hit the upgrade button to 3.1.3 and jailbreak it with Spirit.

I don't think you can get on 3.1.2 if you wanted to cuz you have a 3GS. As far as I know, if you don't have SHSH files backed up for 3.1.2, you won't be able to restore to it so you'll have to go up to 3.1.3.

Hopefully you won't need the unlock since you said you're on AT&T Use Spirit to jailbreak it for an untethered jailbreak (if that applies to you). Or use Redsn0w--though you'll need the 3.1.2 ipsw to use it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Jstud8 (2010-05-17)

I've got SHSHs for all. Quick question, I bought barsoverbeats Elite, GT, and PRO themes off of cydia.

If I go up to 3.1.3 will I still be able to download them w/o buying them again or is that a question I should direct elsewhere?

The tethering I was talking about was using my phone as a modem for my laptop. I'm aware that I would not have had a "tethered" phone if I had upgraded and jailbroken on 3.1.2.

I'm not familiar with the jailbroken 3.1.2s and 3.1.3s if they're able to tether or not.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You can tether or 3.1.3 and 3.1.2.

Im sure you wont lose your bought cydia things if youre using the same phone (not 100% sure--you should check)

Thanks

No you will not have to pay again for apps that you've purchaced in cydia. Cydia remembers your phone. Yes, you will be able to tether with 3.1.3

Even if you get a new phone your licences for purchased apps can be transfered from the old phone to the new one.
    Last edited by jkmonkey; 2010-05-17 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jkmonkey For This Useful Post:

Jstud8 (2010-05-17)

Upgraded and jailbroken successfully.

Dunno what's up w the tethering so far, it still shows the option but disappears.

The modem option shows up on my laptop but shows up as "disconnected."

Thanks for the help people.

Thanks

Try getting the tethering toggle for sbsettings. That should get it to turn on.