Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: in need for a tutorial..

Exclamation in need for a tutorial..
    Hi guys..

I think there should be a sticky tutorial on how to restore iphone 3Gs..

I have been reading some on here , but they all don't explain things for n00bs..

like for example..

when I plug my iphone to umbrella .. should my iphone be in recovery mode or not?

these things are not usually explained in tutorials.. i wonder why !

anyways, hope some smart guy on here help us .. bcoz so many people are in need for such a tutorial..

will be waiting..

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Have you checked the "3GS Downgrading" section?

hmmm, I just looked for the tutorials that are related to my issue , which is restoring 3Gs..
    but they were all difficult for n00bs ..

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Yeah the whole process is pretty complicated. I don't think it's gonna get any easier. I think all you can do is Google and gather what you can regarding SHSH files. Just Google "Umbrella guide SHSH" or something like that. I tried it once, it's not top difficult once you figure out what the guide tells you

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BELLISSIMA View Post
    hmmm, I just looked for the tutorials that are related to my issue , which is restoring 3Gs..
    but they were all difficult for n00bs ..
    If the tutorials are too tough for you to understand then maybe you don't need to attempt to jailbreak!
    Last edited by area51crypto; 2010-05-16 at 08:18 PM.

Thanks

Try using autoshsh from ih8sn0w. It makes use of umbrella, but it's a little more user friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by area51crypto View Post
    If the tutorials are too tough for you to understand then maybe you don't need to attempt to jailbreak!
    If we didnt try anything new how would we get anywhere ?
    Moving Shadow

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swift View Post
    Exactly !

Thanks

Some don't

Well your right some don't, however sometimes people just need a little obvious help.
    Moving Shadow

Thanks

Well your right some don't, however sometimes people just need a little obvious help.
    I am sure he appreciates all the HELP you have given him!

Its just my opinion but if someone can not learn how to jailbreak with all the Guides Here and all the post here, then he might need to just get someone else to do it for him!

I would rather see him do that than mess up his phone!

This is a very long tutorial and will cost a lot of space but it should help you restoring your iPhone into FW OS 3.1.2 using your PC as your server coz most of the time, Saurik Server is too busy and very hard to contact with ... I hope this will help ... Take note: this for those who have save their ECID / SHSH file with the Cydia ...

Dowload the following file: USBView ... Firmware Ubmrella ... Firmware OS 3.1.2 ...

To Get ECID / SHSH file on your PC using the RECOVERY MODE
    -----

Create a Directory on your Desktop and name it as ECID - SHSH to make sure. It should contain the following file .. ECID ... USBView ... Firmware Umbrella .... Firmware OS 3.1.2 ...
    -----

Get ECID SHSH file using the Recovery Mode.

1. First, you need to put your iPhone into 'Recovery Mode', after that RUN USBView.exe to grab your ECID SHSH File.

2. On the Option Tab of USBView, choose/select Config Descriptor then press F5 (refresh) USBView window

3. On the LEFT panel of USBView, highlight and choose DeviceConnected port which label as APPLE Recovery (iBoot) USB drive (only use that port).

4. On the right panel of USBView, you can find the 16 digit combination of ALPHANUMERIC (combination of letters and numbers) ECID, which should read as: ECIDxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, where X are the 16 alphanumeric of your ECID, copy and paste it on your NOTEPAD and make sure to save it to your Desktop directory name ECID.

5. After saving your ECID, RUN Firmware Umbrella ... from your ECID file, copy your ECID number ( xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - 16 Alphanumeric of ECID) from the file you have save from USBView

then paste it to the window in FW Umbrella ... then choose FW 3.1.2 ... then on the second menu .. choose 'From Cydia Server' ... then click SUBMIT ... in a few seconds ... you will have your SHSH for FW 3.1.2 ...
    -----------------------

TO Restore / Downgrade ... Follow the following steps :

1. RUN Notepad as Administrator ...

2. Open the file HOSTS ... cWindows\System32\Drivers\etc\ .... then add the following to the last line (bottom part) ...
    127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com and #74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com ... then SAVE (Control S) do not rename the file.
    -----------------------

the last line of your HOSTS file should read as follows:

127.0.0.1 gs.apple
    #74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

-----------------------

3. Open the DOS Command (DOS Window).

4. type the following ... PING gs.apple.com (it should reply ... Pinging gs.apple.com [127.0.0.1] with 32 bytes of data..

if it does not say [127.0.0.1] you have not set the HOSTS file correctly, but if it does say [127.0.0.1] with 32 bytes data ... then you can go ahead and restore your Firmware 3.1.2 which matches the version of SHSH files.

Now, you can restore your Firmware OS 3.1.2

1. On DOS Command (DOS Prompt) ... from C ... type the following .... CD CDocuments and Settings\Username\Desktop\ECID ... upon inside the directory of your ECID ... type the following ...

TinyTSS -f xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-iphone-3.1.2.shsh (where X is the 16 Alphanumeric of your SHSH numbers)... then hit ENTER .. then wait until it says 'Finished Caching Blobs' and starting TinyTSS Service on Port 80 .. that means it is now good to restore your iPhone ...

2. Put your iPhone into DFU mode

(press Power Switch + Home Button together at exactly 10 seconds then release the Power Switch and the screen of your iPhone MUST be totally BLACK nothing else ... then when you hear a sound coming from the PC then release the Home Button (iTunes will pop-up) that is the time your iPhone is in DFU mode

- if does not goes on totally black .. try it again until you succeed)

After success on DFU mode ... a message from iTunes says .. iTunes has detected that your iPhone is in Recovery Mode and must restore ... click OK ... then ... Press SHIFT + RESTORE ... then choose the Firmware 3.1.2 on your Desktop at the directory of ECID ... press OK then wait ... until the it finishes restoring your Firmware 3.1.2 ...

Good Luck ...
    Last edited by greatlover; 2010-05-18 at 09:13 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to greatlover For This Useful Post:

BELLISSIMA (2010-05-18)

Thank you great lover!

I spirited my iphone yesterday, so this a bit was too late for me to follow .. anyways , i am enjoying being on 3.1.3.. i hope i don't need to restore it for any reason!..

thank you again..