Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: My jailbroken iPhone won't turn on. Should I see the Genius Bar?

Default My jailbroken iPhone won't turn on. Should I see the Genius Bar?
    Hey, guys. I have a problem. For some reason my 3GS will not turn on. It won't do anything. I hook it up to usb and nothing. I try to power it on and nothing.

It's a jailbroken iPhone with Cydia only because I want to use backgrounder and categories, the only reason I have it jailbroken.

Would it be a bad idea to take it to the genius bar? I'd prefer to restore it but since it won't even turn on, I can't.

They'll probably switch it out for a new one since I'm still on my apple care plan, but will this come to bite me when they finally do turn it on and see that it's jailbroken?

If you try all things you know and are sure it's not turn on, you can got the Apple store to get a replacement.
    They are going to give you a refurbish one, not a new one....
    Even later they find how you jailbreak the phone, I don't think they are gonna give you a hard time.
    good luck

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

They will give you a refurb if the phone wont turn on.
    The refurbs are of a higher quality than new iphones, and the outter portion of the phone never made contact with an endusers ear. Ive had both new and refurbs and i would rather have a refurb.

Also i have returned a new iphone to the gb that was jailbroken but wouldnt turn on.

Refurbs arent higher quality, they are originals that have been refurbed with a new casing and screen assembly, thats all.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

yes, they have better quality control. Every part of the phone is checked thoroughly, more so than the ones that come from china.

I was told this by one of the managers @ the apple store.

Quote Originally Posted by dr0herb View Post
    yes, they have better quality control. Every part of the phone is checked thoroughly, more so than the ones that come from china.

I was told this by one of the managers @ the apple store.
    He was feeding you a line of crap.

A new iphone is NEW.

A refurbed iphone is REFURBED, meaning it has USED parts in it. All they do is swap the externals.

And they use the same china parts as the originals are built from.

So how can a phone that has used parts in it be better quality than a phone that is completely new.

And build quality is the same. The way these phones are put together, either they are built properly and work....or not built properly and malfunction.

Trust me, I have been disassembling/repairing/modding these phones for nearly 3 years now.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I went to my appt. and they switched it out with a different phone after determining it won't turn on. They said it's a refurb, but it looks new. Can't tell any difference in performance, really.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

my refurb looks better than the new one i had