Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrade 3GS from 3.0.1 to custom 3.1.2 doesn't work - error 1604

Question Upgrade 3GS from 3.0.1 to custom 3.1.2 doesn't work - error 1604
    I have a jailbroken 3.0.1 iPhone 3GS that i want to upgrade to 3.1.2, but restoring to a custom 3.1.2 firmware doesn't work...

I shift click and select the file, it bypasses the server check without problem, but phone is just restarted to recovery mode (showing cable itunes logo), and then the progress bar just says preparing iphone for restore, and nothing happens. After about 5 minutes i get error 1604.

Does anyone know what's wrong? Tested on two different PC's...

If it wasn't a 3GS i could just use ih8sn0w, but apparantly that app doesn't support 3GS...

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blickbox View Post
    I have a jailbroken 3.0.1 iPhone 3GS that i want to upgrade to 3.1.2, but restoring to a custom 3.1.2 firmware doesn't work...

I shift click and select the file, it bypasses the server check without problem, but phone is just restarted to recovery mode (showing cable itunes logo), and then the progress bar just says preparing iphone for restore, and nothing happens. After about 5 minutes i get error 1604.

If it wasn't a 3GS i could just use ih8sn0w, but apparantly that app doesn't support 3GS...
    Ok is it old bootrom or new bootrom

What jailbreak software did you use!

Do you have itunes look to Saurik's server

Was your SHSH's saved on Cydia, (Saurik's server)

Thanks

When using a custom firmware you don't have to worry about shsh files or going to saurik's server. The custom firmware bypasses that part of the installation. If it has 3.0.1 installed now it's doubtful that it is a new bootrom phone, but if that is the case a phone with the new bootrom won't accept a custom firmware at all. I would try rebuilding a new custom firmware and trying again.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blickbox View Post

It works on my both 3GS flawlessly, I suggest your restore to cfw again (twice), if that doesn't help create a new cfw because the file might be corrupted while creating and try again. It should work for your case. If you encounter any errors in the end, then you have ended up in a loop, just use iReb or even quickpwn22 to get out and you should be jailbroken at 3.1.3.

Quote Originally Posted by jkmonkey View Post
    When using a custom firmware you don't have to worry about shsh files or going to saurik's server. The custom firmware bypasses that part of the installation. If it has 3.0.1 installed now it's doubtful that it is a new bootrom phone, but if that is the case a phone with the new bootrom won't accept a custom firmware at all. I would try rebuilding a new custom firmware and trying again.
    Thanks for your reply. It's an old bootrom. I'm trying to recreate the custom firmware just for sure, but I noticed it's not possible to enable baseband upgrade. I obviously want the 05.11.07 (3.1.2) baseband, not the old 04.26.08 (3.0.1) baseband. This isn't really related to the problem though.