Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading an already jailbroken phone (help!)

Default Upgrading an already jailbroken phone (help!)
    I have a jailbroken/unlocked 8GB iPhone 2G currently running 3.0 firmware (7A341 build and 04.05.04_G baseband). More and more frequently I'm unable to use apps because of the older firmware.

I found this guide for upgrading a 2G to 3.1.3:

How to Jailbreak/Unlock 3.1.3 iPhone 2G Windows & OS X

Do I need to be concerned that I'll brick my phone by updating it within iTunes because it's jailbroken?

I've been searching on various forums and sites and aside from random comments from people running into problems updating their phones I can't find much information on the subject.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Use sn0wbreeze to create a custom 3.1.3 firmware and upgrade to that. This will preserve your basband and unlock. If you upgrade to an official 3.1.3 through iTunes it will upgrade your baseband also and you'll lose your unlock.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jkmonkey For This Useful Post:

garlandb (2010-05-13)

Thank you so much!

This sounds like the missing piece of the puzzle.

I've been reading through sn0wbreeze and it sounds very easy but restoring in iTunes from the pre-sn0wbreeze firmware after the the upgrade in order to restore apps, data, etc. worries me.

I'm assuming that the iTunes backup isn't going to preserve anything in Cydia, themes and unofficial apps (ie: Cycorder) so is it safe to say that I'll lose all that in the upgrade?
    Last edited by garlandb; 2010-05-14 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Yes any thing installed from cydia will not be there after the upgrade and restore. There are a few apps like pkgbackup that will take care of that for you though.

Thanks so much jkmonkey!

I've put a lot of time into setting things up on my iPhone and I'm really worried (as you can see) about having to spend days getting it back to normal after a botched upgrade.

After reading through a number of sn0wbreeze tutorials I'm confused as to whether additional steps are required to unlock a 2G after using sn0wbreeze. On some sites it says to use ultrasn0w after using sn0wbreeze.

My apologies for the barrage of questions!
    Last edited by garlandb; 2010-05-14 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Upgraded it this morning and didn't have any problems at all. Phew!

Thanks again jkmonkey!!

Congrats Garlandb. I have the same issues as you. What did you do to back up your phone and restore? Did you lose your paid apps?

Cool

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

For future ref, 2G phones dont need baseband preservation. A clean upgrade to 3.1.3 without creating a custom fw wouldve sufficed

All 2G phones may use BootNeuter to unlock.

Thanks Anniex423.

Do I just update to itunes 9.1.1 and then upgrade to firmware 3.1.3, then jailbreak and unlock using redsn0w 0.9.4? By syncing in itunes, do I preserve all of my free and paid apps in itunes store and cydia? If not, how could I preserve those apps (more concern about the paid apps). Thanks in advance for guidance.

Cool

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Yep. Sync with itunes to keep your apps, photos, contacts, etc. Third party apps from Cydia can be maintained by using AptBackUp (NOT APPBACKUP) or PkgBkUp (sp?-- paid app).

If you are refering to "free" cracked apps, I cant help you there (forum rules). Otherwise, thats it!